Going bilingual again, help identify

Animaterra

Amen, brother!

Now, would this sound better on English or Anglo???

to move this on a little for us ignoramuses and picking up Dirge's point about the sound and what it does to you.

I wonder whether it is possible to identify the make and type of concertina just from the sound - v annoying to hear radio and not know when something really good is played and you don't know what the concertina is?

Will try to put some sound shortly on youtube as this issue has vexed me with a particular piece. (Half the time I cannot even work out the key something is in.....!)

In the meantime I rummaged through the pile of pearls on youtube and dug up this --- it just happens to be a snippet from one of my favourite tunes.

I don't think it is the number of buttons wot counts but the expression of the music by the player through the maker of the box.....

Do you know who this player is and whether he has any CDs?

Is that one of these new giant super special Chinese boxes made by a team of craftsmen for the Chinese billionaire end of the market? I hope he did not find it in the skip behind him.... that would have been too much of good luck :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPUlp4rgas

I don't think it is the number of buttons wot counts but the expression of the music by the player through the maker of the box.....

Is that one of these new giant super special Chinese boxes made by a team of craftsmen for the Chinese billionaire end of the market? I hope he did not find it in the skip behind him.... that would have been too much of good luck :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPUlp4rgas

I don't know the player, but the instrument is a Crane duet. Hard to count buttons in the video, but I think it's approximately 70.

8-sided and beautifully built, so I guessed it was likely either a Wheatstone or a Crabb. Then I found

. Is that the same guy with the same box? The title says it's a Crabb Crane duet.

In the meantime I rummaged through the pile of pearls on youtube and dug up this --- it just happens to be a snippet from one of my favourite tunes.

Well, now you know what Geoffrey Crabb looks like - and from what he says at the beginning (1928....like a wheatstone, but only 6 ever made) I'd conclude that he's playing a Crabb, probably built by his father or grandfather.It has 5 rows of buttons, so its a Butterworth(Crane/Triumph) Duet, which his Dad was an ace player on. He hasn't any CDs, but there are a few recordings of his Dad on ICA tapes. But quite a lot of concertinas have passed through his hands ... comments Geoff?

Then I found

. Is that the same guy with the same box? The title says it's a Crabb Crane duet.

Click the comment down arrow to find the player is MARIEN (does that ring a bell?) Lina.

I think someone is trying to throw us off the track by switching home country -- Marien's fingering could certainly plug all the holes in that dyke wall behind him ..........but I think he was pretending to be Ivan Denizovich while on tour in the breezeblock gwlapeligo......

That could be a Breughel version of a Beau Brummel wig..... :ph34r:

Then I found

Click the comment down arrow to find the player is MARIEN (does that ring a bell?) Lina.

Oh, how embarrassing!

My apologies to both Geoffrey and Marien. I should know better, since I've actually met Marien. I guess my eyes were tired, because I didn't notice the down arrow on the comment, either.

Then I found

Oh, how embarrassing!

My apologies to both Geoffrey and Marien. I should know better, since I've actually met Marien. I guess my eyes were tired, because I didn't notice the down arrow on the comment, either.

Eto ne vazhno dorogoi moi!

It is all to do with the winter latitude you are on.... and seeing out of these damn hats and frosted windows dont make it any easier....

Mind you the weather gets worse....and these technicalities don;t really matter if you believe Uncle Rod.. and that mandolin is beginning to get on my .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YTXFmoAZu4&feature=related

Edited by Kautilya

I guess my eyes were tired, because I didn't notice the down arrow on the comment, either.

It is all to do with the winter latitude you are on.... and seeing out of these damn hats and frosted windows dont make it any easier....

Frosted windows?

Latitude notwithstanding, yesterday's snow -- it snowed gently all day -- was the first of the season here in Helsingør, and the temperature was still above freezing, so it all melted as fast as it landed... though I do see a thin white blanket on the hills of Skåne, 5 km (3 miles) or so across the water in Sweden.

Late next week we're supposed to get our first big freeze, down to minus 8 Celsius (plus 18 Fahrenheit), but that's uncommon here. To have snow remain on the ground for more than a day or two is also uncommon, and I always seem to be able to find a few roses blooming in neighbors' gardens in the middle of December. :) Not at all like the "cruel Russian winter" that defeated Napoleon Bonaparte.

Mind you the weather gets worse....and these technicalities don;t really matter if you believe Uncle Rod.. and that mandolin is beginning to get on my .....

Mandolin? Yes, I can see that you have a problem -- or I do, -- since I could hear no mandolin in the video you linked to... in fact, no music at all. :o

Edited to reflect a revised weather forecast for next week.

Edited by JimLucas

I guess my eyes were tired, because I didn't notice the down arrow on the comment, either.

Frosted windows?

Latitude notwithstanding, yesterday's snow -- it snowed gently all day -- was the first of the season here in Helsingør, and the temperature was still above freezing, so it all melted as fast as it landed... though I do see a thin white blanket on the hills of Skåne, 5 km (3 miles) or so across the water in Sweden.

Late next week we're supposed to get our first big freeze, down to minus 8 Celsius (plus 18 Fahrenheit), but that's uncommon here. To have snow remain on the ground for more than a day or two is also uncommon, and I always seem to be able to find a few roses blooming in neighbors' gardens in the middle of December. :) Not at all like the "cruel Russian winter" that defeated Napoleon Bonaparte.

Mandolin? Yes, I can see that you have a problem -- or I do, -- since I could hear no mandolin in the video you linked to... in fact, no music at all. :o

Edited to reflect a revised weather forecast for next week.

when he starts running to see the sledge disappearing over towards Helsinborg!

...here. To have snow remain on the ground for more than a day or two is also uncommon, and I always seem to be able to find a few roses blooming in neighbors' gardens in the middle of December.

when he starts running to see the sledge disappearing over towards Helsinborg!

I expect you're gonna have a long wait. I'm told that the last time there was a winter here where you could ride a sledge across to Helsingborg was 1948 or earlier. This winter it's more likely that I'll see someone water skiing on Christmas day, albeit wearing a wet suit.

When I want freezing cold and real snow, I visit a friend 1000 km north of here. :)