Willlie Clancy week 2010

I have just rejoined the site after a year's leave of absence.

In the past I posted photographs taken at the concertina concert at the Willie Clancy Summer School here. A tradition broken this time.

A bit belated but enjoy (or not if you are so inclined)

I have now deleted the slideshows. Vanish.gif

Edited by Peter Laban

I have just rejoined the site after a year's leave of absence.

Welcome back!

Some good pictures, and interesting use of B&W for some. Can I ask which range of lenses that you used? I took some pictures, back in 1991, but can't remember which lenses I took with me. As I flew, I'm guessing 50mm and 135mm (using fast film, and wide apperture).

Regards,

Peter.

I may as well get another batch out of the way:

During the Corofin festival in March Paula Carroll conducted a public interview with Chris Droney which was highly entertaining. A presentation was made to Chris and music was played. Chris was joined by some of his children and grandchildren so we had the third, fourth and fifth generation of concertina playing Droneys on stage. It was a good night. A few shots :

Droney1.jpg?t=1287088648

Droney2.jpg?t=1287088664

Droney3.jpg?t=1287088662

Droney4.jpg?t=1287088656

Droney5.jpg?t=1287088654

Droney6.jpg?t=1287088668

Droney7.jpg?t=1287088655

Thanks for the great picture show Peter ! Just shows how the photographic technology has improved over the years... now it has reached your quality of photography and that must be a blessing for you.

Thanks again for sharing all this with us,

Talk soon,

Geoff.

Thank you, Peter, and welcome back. I love the tight framing on the Willie Week photos, and I really appreciate your taking the time to identify all of the musicians.

The battle there is keeping the microphones out, and not covering instruments, hands or sticking in to faces, as much as possible

The photographs are part of an archival project: sound, image and video recordings of all official events at the school.

I love the pictures of Chris, especially the ones where he's playing "air concertina"! :D

He was talking about playing for a good bit and doing the air concertina all through that, I have a sequence of six or seven of them. It was hard to resist.

He did all his set pieces: how he was left in the concertina room at Wheatstone's to pick an instrument. Waking up to find the Ballinakill asleep in the van outside his gate (after a gig) and getting them in for breakfast, the threshing stories. He was on great form.

Edited by Peter Laban

Great stuff, Peter. Really nice that someone is making such a serious effort at documenting the players of today. Especially as they are concentrating whilst playing...not just cheesy grins.

Pity you weren't around in Clare a century to a century and a half ago...we could have used some photographs then, too!

Cheers,

Dan

I hardly managed to get out of my new music shop in Miltown Malbay during the Willie Clancy week, but we did get visited by many musicians, and even had a couple of lovely sessions with Antóin Mac Gabhann and Mick O'Connor (well I guess it beats Doorways & Windowsills! ;) )

I did take a few photos, which (though not up to Peter's standards) are in the album Willie Clancy Week at McNeill's, if anybody is interested.

Edited to correct link

Edited by Stephen Chambers