EC absolute beginner-- ordered Jack-- learning material suggestions?

asher

Hi All

I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for this forum. I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks, since I decided to try and take up a musical instrument after a lag of over 30 years. I played various woodwinds as a child and teenager, but then forgot for so long.

It all started, actually, with a personal attraction to the bandoneon as played in Argentine music. I did a bit of research and quickly realised that bandoneons are REALLY complicated instruments, but then saw info about smaller concertinas and read and read and read...

I have to really say that the majority of useful info I found was on these forums.

I finally decided to go with English Concertina to start, as the key layout seems very logical to me, as it relates to written music, and because I am interested in various styles of music and not particularly Irish or English traditional...

I listened to various online recordings/videos, etc. and decided I liked the lower register of the baritone models especially.(I tend to like the sound of cello more than violin as well)

My budget is limited but I wanted to start with an instrument that was at least "OK" and not too fussy nor too old and in need of maintenance that I cannot do myself.

Hence, again, I thank this forum for the various discussions on budget instruments and particularly the positive feedback about the Jack / Jackie / Rochelle / Elise models from Concertina Connection

So, I just now placed an order for a Jack baritone EC from Harry Geuns in Belgium. (I am in Italy so it is pretty convenient for buying and shipping.) He seems well known and well regarded and he was very quick to respond to my questions and arrange the order

Now I just have to be patient until it arrives. Really looking forward to learning.

If anyone has suggestions for particular music and instruction materials I might download to help me learning the 30 button EC, I appreciate all suggestions. I guess some guide will come with the Jack, but I do not know how thorough it is or not...

thanks again

ciao

Asher

You could do a lot worse than run through Martyn Allen's series of videos on Youtube: first one:

Then learn every way you can, sheet music, ABC, by ear, at workshops. Don't forget tunes from memory. Its ridiculous how many tunes you know well enough to play. Think of famous hymns, I went through a whole phase of playing things like "for those in peril on the sea". Daft old american folk tunes like Camptown races, She'll be coming round the mountain, Shenandoah etc. The good thing with tunes you already know is that in the early stages such tunes halve the difficulty of learning so you can concentrate on getting the instrument right without having to know what the next note sounds like.

Simon

Guest HallelujahAl!

Pauline de Snoo has written an excellent book for EC beginners - and my copy came with when I bought my first 'Jackie'.

AL

I found Frank Butler's The Concertina tutor really helpful when I first started. It was available as a free pdf download - found by googling.

If you can't find it, I could email you a copy - it's too large to attach.

regards,

Pamela

I hope that I'm not assuming too much, but you'd said that you'd played other instruments so likely you read treble clef?

If that's the case, find one or more tune books that have the music that you want to play and have a go at it ... at least to get started and to see how things fall under your hands. I did a lot of scale work because it's my way of learning . In the US, the Button Box had a numver of tune books that I used to signt read different tunes.

My preferred method ... your mileage may vary! :lol:

I was in a similar position to you, but chose the Anglo.

My Rochelle came with a book which was very useful, but understandably didn't have a large selection of tunes.

I have bought various books and a DVD, but to be honest, there are loads of free sheet music sites on the net, providing you have some idea

what you are looking to play.

I got a lot of hints from You Tube and then just searched for the sheet music.

Have fun.

I found Frank Butler's The Concertina tutor really helpful when I first started. It was available as a free pdf download - found by googling.

If you can't find it, I could email you a copy - it's too large to attach.

regards,

Pamela

A hardcopy is for sale on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1#ht_741wt_1140

The tutor that is included with the Jack will certainly get you started on the English system. If you play other instruments you may just need tune books after that.

Wow! Thanks everybody! Thanks for all the suggestions... i am truly touched that so many people responded since I last logged on and posted...

I already downloaded the Butler book, even started having a look at it while I wait for Jack...

Will see what book comes with the Jack ( maybe the de Snoo one?) and try the basic exercises

I have also been scavenging for various tunes I know and like, so yes, that is a great suggestion... better to go with well known tunes that you know how they should sound

I learned to read music when I was about 10 years old and learning to play the recorder, then later took up saxophone, oboe and english horn, but I have not picked up an instrument since I was about 18, stopped voice lessons when I was 20...

and now I am 49, so.... well, I DO theoretically remember how to read music, but will be a bit rusty and take some getting back up to speed.

I will do the book exercises and then start with tunes I know ... in my case that would be more Jewish liturgical/traditional and Klezmer rather than hymns per se... ;-)

anyway, great to have this forum and I am also being truly astonished at how much sheet music of all sorts can be found on the web

I will do the book exercises and then start with tunes I know ... in my case that would be more Jewish liturgical/traditional and Klezmer rather than hymns per se... ;-)

anyway, great to have this forum and I am also being truly astonished at how much sheet music of all sorts can be found on the web

Hi Asher

Have you found this thread yet? It has a link to sheet music and a YouTube channel that will keep you busy for a while:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11545

Thanks

Leo :D

Hi Asher

Have you found this thread yet? It has a link to sheet music and a YouTube channel that will keep you busy for a while:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11545

Thanks

Leo :D

thanks Leo,

I did see that thread before and followed some of the links... I already have such a pile of potential music from the internet... now I just need Jack so I can start practicing :-)