High Barbaree

LDT

All comments welcome.

I've not played for singing before.

I'm probably only marginally more experienced in this area than you, though there's a lot of people here with centuries more experience than either of us. SO, take any advice I say with a grain of salt.

When I play with a singer I try not to (if they're a good singer) play exactly the same notes as they sing. Well, like 80% of the time. I like the little musical bridge you did between the verses, a nice touch! What I do is try to play a 3rd, or sometimes 4ths or 5ths from the note being sung. A little easier is to play the melody, but include the higher 3rd. (You're on an Anglo, right? So just do the next one up.)

BUT, I try not to over do that, doing it on the chorus for stronger emphasis perhaps. Also, when the main verses are being sung I like to lighten it up a little bit (play less strong), and for notes that repeat (if playing along with the singing, or vice versa) I'll just hold. Or say it goes C-F-F-G-C-C-C, I'll do C---G-C--- (just as an example, dunno if that's a tune). Not quite a drone, but more like playing the song slower with the important bits held. Or something. (Sometimes though I like to quickly do it as a scale, CDEF-G-GFEDC, sometimes.)

Naturally, playing along with another musician or a singer is a difficult beast all to itself if you're not playing from the notes, but adding or expanding your own playing of a song. Annnnnd... everyone does it different, of course! I have to say you've come a long ways in the time I've been hearing you play! B)

Patrick

All comments welcome.

I've not played for singing before.

I'm probably only marginally more experienced in this area than you, though there's a lot of people here with centuries more experience than either of us. SO, take any advice I say with a grain of salt.

When I play with a singer I try not to (if they're a good singer) play exactly the same notes as they sing. Well, like 80% of the time. I like the little musical bridge you did between the verses, a nice touch! What I do is try to play a 3rd, or sometimes 4ths or 5ths from the note being sung. A little easier is to play the melody, but include the higher 3rd. (You're on an Anglo, right? So just do the next one up.)

BUT, I try not to over do that, doing it on the chorus for stronger emphasis perhaps. Also, when the main verses are being sung I like to lighten it up a little bit (play less strong), and for notes that repeat (if playing along with the singing, or vice versa) I'll just hold. Or say it goes C-F-F-G-C-C-C, I'll do C---G-C--- (just as an example, dunno if that's a tune). Not quite a drone, but more like playing the song slower with the important bits held. Or something. (Sometimes though I like to quickly do it as a scale, CDEF-G-GFEDC, sometimes.)

Naturally, playing along with another musician or a singer is a difficult beast all to itself if you're not playing from the notes, but adding or expanding your own playing of a song. Annnnnd... everyone does it different, of course! I have to say you've come a long ways in the time I've been hearing you play! B)

Patrick

Thanks for the comments and critique. :) The 'musical bridge' was to allow her to take a breath between verses.

Kate (the singer) has said next time she's going to throw a song at me and let me make up a tune from scratch...

-------

btw. I've re-uploaded on youtube for those who have trouble with the other link.

Thanks for the comments and critique. :) The 'musical bridge' was to allow her to take a breath between verses.

Kate (the singer) has said next time she's going to throw a song at me and let me make up a tune from scratch...

-------

btw. I've re-uploaded on youtube for those who have trouble with the other link.

That'll be awesome! Heh, my only advice here is... play what feels right and it'll happen. :) Use the Force!

Patrick

High Barbaree

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=30643

this is a virtual duet inspired by Jon Boden's Folk Song a Day

http://www.afolksongaday.com/2010/09/16/oats-and-beans-and-barley/

I used these dots

http://www.folktunefinder.com/tune/23022/

and transposed to C.

Voice: Kate Akers

Anglo Concertina: Me

Sarah, forgive my ignorance but what is a 'virtual' duet ?

Sarah, forgive my ignorance but what is a 'virtual' duet ?

IMO. A virtual duet is when two (or more) people record a song without actually meeting in real life and playing in realtime.

For example. for this song. I recorded the tune, sent it to kate, she told me to speed up and add in some 'bridges' for her to take a breath. She recorded her singing unaccompanied so I could get the general pace.

So I recorded the tune while listening to her singing in my headphones, sent it to her (sans voice), she then re recorded her vocals to fit my playing. And voila! The result.

SOOO! That's what LDT stands for! Now I can track ye down an' hold ye fer ransom!! Why, I wager the King'll pay a tidy sum for yer safe return!

I liked yer little song, that is, 'til the end where ye let them poor pirates drown. Shame on ye! They was just havin' a little fun ye know. I did like the tune though, maybe I'll learn it an' change the words so's the pirates win. That'll teach ye, Missy!:angry:

Why, it's gettin so's a pirate can't make a dishonest livin' these days.:(

SOOO! That's what LDT stands for! Now I can track ye down an' hold ye fer ransom!!

How?

She could just go back in time to before you learned her identity, and then she'd be free!

Then again, she could wait until after you've collected the ransom and released her, then go back and snatch the ransom just before you get your hands on it, then return to your future, and she'd be both free and rich. :D

SOOO! That's what LDT stands for! Now I can track ye down an' hold ye fer ransom!!

Easy, now! :)

Perhaps "Ransom" was a poor choice o' terms. Why, I'd keep 'er to meself before turnin' 'er over to a bloke with a name like Ransom!

Sounds downrite dishonest to me!dry.gif

How?

She could just go back in time to before you learned her identity, and then she'd be free!

Then again, she could wait until after you've collected the ransom and released her, then go back and snatch the ransom just before you get your hands on it, then return to your future, and she'd be both free and rich. :D

Why, I didn't know she was a bloody time traveler!

I've tried to invent a time machine meself but the blasted sun goes down before I finish so's me sundial quits workin' an' everybody knows ye have to know when ye start to figure where ye end... at least that's what Jules told me.:unsure: