Lavender Hill

Alan Day

Guest HallelujahAl!

Love it! Though I was kind of expecting something from the 'Lavender Hill Mob'!

Many thanks.

AL

Edited by HallelujahAl!

Many thanks.

AL

Thanks Al, That makes it two one to me, Will Fly my playing partner is not sure of it.

Lavender Hill is the road that leads to Clapham Junction (It used to be the largest Railway terminal in Europe). A turning off it Wix's Lane is where I went to infants school. Further up the hill is Battersea Town Hall where I used to go dancing and one hundred yards further on was the site of The Shakespeare Theatre, destroyed in the War. At the bottom of the hill is Queenstown Road that goes past Tommy Williams (Duet Player) House.

Lots of stories and memories with lovely old sing song pubs I longed to go in and sing when I was a young boy.

Al

Many thanks.

AL

Thanks Al, That makes it two one to me, Will Fly my playing partner is not sure of it.

V Nice. Perhaps someone is getting confused with The Ladykiller(s) who perform at the musical halls - if so Will needs to be careful as it seems you might have some new partners and are into the moolah in a big way!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

see at 50 seconds

and the real truth at 1 minute

Edited by Kautilya

This and the last Music Hall tune that I posted is ,for me, a mainly different approach to playing. Most of the tune and chords are on the pull.Win or lose on this one as a tune,they have been a very interesting couple of tunes to play. I admit to struggling with both of them, basically where a push note is required, when I expect a pull and visa versa. These will help me for future tunes of this sort.

No need to say sorry Dirge it is useful info

Al

Lots of stories and memories with lovely old sing song pubs I longed to go in and sing when I was a young boy.

Al

That's exactly the feel I got from the toon almost immediately and I have to say it conjured up a very vivid picture of people in the pub.... I just wonder whether the pub Saturday nights (which I certainly remember on the other side of town in the East End around Stratford (of the Olympics and Stratford-atte-Bowe) which I knew up to 1980 while we lived there, are perhaps a thing of long lost memory for those living in the Kingdom of Mordor ( :ph34r: :ph34r: )

I bet Dirge can play it really well after a short practice and would be interested in hearing the impact he has if he were to play it in the appropriate down under pub one evening..... there's a challenge!

Well Pete my Fathers side of our family lived in Stratford down Chobham Road ,not far from Maryland Station and past the very first Co-op. I cycled the journey many times from Clapham, where I lived, which took me over London Bridge and past the markets on the way to Stratford.That area of London like ours, took a hammering during the War and it was the sing songs that kept the spirit up during and after the War

This tune needs to be a song and I have roughed the words out and just need to put it together.

The other one gets it's outing tonight as a song for the first time.

Al

Well Pete my Fathers side of our family lived in Stratford down Chobham Road ,not far from Maryland Station and past the very first Co-op. I cycled the journey many times from Clapham, where I lived, which took me over London Bridge and past the markets on the way to Stratford.That area of London like ours, took a hammering during the War and it was the sing songs that kept the spirit up during and after the War

This tune needs to be a song and I have roughed the words out and just need to put it together.

The other one gets it's outing tonight as a song for the first time.

Al

Amazing we lived just round the corner from your father Pete, in 45 Forest Lane!

Clever eh!

Get on the tram to Arding and Obbs

Up the Lavender Hill

The Shakespeare Theatre that's only for nobbs

Up the Lavender Hill

Ee Are ! Apples, Pears Cherries and Plums

Up the Lavender Hill

Go for a swim in the Penny Bare Bums

Up the Lavender Hill.

Buy a suit for under five quid

Up the Lavender Hill

By a used car from old Spivvy Sid

Up the Lavender Hill

Jellied Eels you'll get yer fill

Up the Lavender Hill

Too much to drink and you'll be in the clink

Up the Lavender Hill.

All together Now !!

Al :)

Edited by Alan Day

Get on the tram to Arding and Hobbs

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill.

Buy a suit for under ten quid

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill.

All together Now !!

Al :)

You're not getting away so fast with esoteric references like TS Eliot and his pomes.

What's the "Penny"? Penny Park luxury spa???

And BTW, for the nobbs it was Harding and Hobbs so for kids with their esras hanging out of their short trousers it would have been 'Arding and 'Obbs, they being literate little sreggub :P :P

Your right it would have been "Arding & Obbs" , must have picked up the H living in Surrey/Sussex

The Penny Barebums was at The Latchmere Baths where I later played water polo for Avondale Swimming club a short walk down the road from Lavender Hill.It was still a penny when I first went there and it lived up to i'ts name.

Al

Penny on the bottle! You can still get in those baths but with a plastic penny!

http://www.schwimfree.co.uk/?WT.srch=1#home

some vocal thoughts-

We are in key of ?? for (a 20-button Anglo)? Any dots yet?

I also think this could work for any city / borough / quartier/ around the world. You can hear Harry Lime in it in Vienna to appropriate lyrics or for Berlin (The Spy who came in the from the cold - Richard Burton)

Just been caterwauling it through (practising for the George.... :P :P ))

See my deletions ( ) and suggestions [ ] to make it flow easier for the singer, particularly the last note in penultimate line in each verse as that takes you DOWN into the water and then DOWN the social ladder into the Clink and allows a nice crescendo on that last note.

I assume your "Ee Are" is the fruitseller's call but that line seems to bounce better with the extra 'ands' and could be a crescendo by punters to reflect the seller's voice. the same for punters crescendoing and implicitly calling out "Jellied Eels Jellied" eels for the kiosk owner in penultimate line second verse, balancing each other out as well as getting all the pub singers to boost sound together.

The Lavender Hill anthem

Get on the tram to Arding and Obbs

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

(Ee Are !) Apples [and], Pears [and] Cherries and Plums

Up the Lavender Hill

Go for a swim in the Penny Bare Bums [flatten last note to cascade down into the drowning water]

Up the Lavender Hill.

[You can] buy a [smart]suit for under ten quid

Up the Lavender Hill

Buy a used car from old Spivvy Sid

Up the Lavender Hill

[Of]Jellied Eels you'll get yer fill

Up the Lavender Hill

Too much (to) drink and you'll be in the clink [flatten last note to cascade down]

Up the Lavender Hill.

© Alan Day

Original

Get on the tram to Arding and Hobbs

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill.

Buy a suit for under ten quid

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill

Up the Lavender Hill.

© Alan Day

All together Now !!

Edited by Kautilya

Both "Stage door Jenny" and "Lavender Hill" are played on my CG box.

Will thinks its in F but has not really worked it out yet.

Pictures of the old Shakespeare Theatre are available on Google. It was closed as a Theatre and converted to a Cinema before the last War. It was thought to have got a direct hit early in the War. I remember getting inside the bomb site with my mate (another Alan) and on the stage was a man in full costume dressed as Shakespeare. We wondered for years afterwards whether he was a ghost, An absolutely true story.

Al :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I missed the tune last week - only want to say: I'm hooked! A good tune creates a certain atmosphere - brings pictures to your mind - makes you hear or smell something. That's what happened. I prefer this one to the other. Thanks for sharing.