First Concertina

Hi there,

I live in Tasmania, Australia. I am looking at buying my first concertina, mainly for recording but also for occasional live use (alt-country/folk music).

Just wondering, I came across a Rochelle 30 key C-G Anglo concertina from Concertina Connection which is around $380 US (including shipping to Australia). To me this looks like a great buy compared to the Hohner D-40 which is about $470 from the local music shop. Just wondering if you guys have any experience with the Rochelle? I really just want something that will last, that is properly in tune and with buttons that don't stick.

Thanks so much,

Kieran

The Rochelle is well-known here, and generally respected as a solid entry-level instrument. It's not as good as anything with a four-digit pricetag, but usually preferred over Hohner, Stagi, and no-name chinese brands.

I bought a Rochelle.

I can't comment on how it compares with the other similarly priced instruments because I haven't owned or played them.

I took advice from the more experienced people on this forum and wasn't disappointed.

However, depending on where you want to go with your playing, the Rochelle might limit you after a while.

The one thing I noticed as a beginner is that the air button is very noisy, compared to more expensive instruments.

Also, the Rochelle is physically very large and the buttons are quite large and spaced.

Having now played some intermediate instruments, its refreshing to have an air button on these that sounds no noisier than my wife taking a breath

when she plays her Irish whistle (rather than the Rochelles gasp) and having an instrument that is a similar size to the top end instruments

with closer spaced buttons (making the potential transition to a real concertina with concertina reeds easier at some stage).

The one thing I've learned is that players will always advocate a more expensive instrument and if you let it, the expense will never stop.

There is always something better to aspire to.

I guess you need to decide where you want to go with your playing and how much you want to spend.

In summary, the Rochelle for me was a "toe in the water" - I didn't want to spend too much until I decided whether concertina playing was for me, or not.

If you are going to start at the entry level, I believe its a good instrument. It certainly sounds well and has a good volume.

I did have a spring break on me after 2 months and occasionally the reeds would resonate - if you have no dealer in Tasmania, it might be worth buying a few spares with the concertina otherwise you might find yourselves off air if anything goes. A few springs and a pad, etc shouldn't cost too much.

One thing I would say is that I've had a bit of difficulty recently with the Rochelle spring and with a stuck lever on my Clover and Wim Wakker who owns CC has been absolutely great.

All things go wrong and a concertina is a VERY mechanical bit of kit.

He always responds to e-mails in a fast and positive way.

I have a bit of a gripe with the way good old fashioned customer service has gone generally in the UK (nothing to do with concertinas) and its refreshing to deal with someone like Wim.

All concertinas have their little problems, even the USD10,000 ones and its comforting to know that he takes his product and good reputation seriously.

However, depending on where you want to go with your playing, the Rochelle might limit you after a while.

Isn't that to be expected? Otherwise, what would be the point of existence to those instruments that cost more than 10 times as much?

Also, the Rochelle is physically very large and the buttons are quite large and spaced.

Physically large, yes. But my understanding is that on the Rochelle both the size and spacing of buttons deliberately match vintage English-built anglos. That's certainly the case with its English-system equivalent, the Jackie, with the one difference being that vintage anglos tend to vary more in button size and even spacing. But the vintage exceptions, in my experience, have (slightly) larger spacing and larger-diameter buttons than the usual (and the Rochelle), not the other way around.

Having now played some intermediate instruments, its refreshing to have... closer spaced buttons....

In light of my above comment, did you actually measure the spacing? Is it possible that the larger size of the Rochelle had a psychological effect of making it seem that the buttons were more widely spaced?

No, I measured them and the spacing is wider on the Rochelle and the buttons are bigger.

Is it possible that the larger size of the Rochelle had a psychological effect of making it seem that the buttons were more widely spaced?

Barry J - I don't really have any knowledge in regards to the mechanics of the concertina. With the springs and pads, are they something that one can replace themselves without taking the concertina do a dealer?

Yes on springs, possibly on pads. But most concertinas require the occasional home repair or adjustment, even if you don't have to replace any parts.

I'm pretty new to the concertina scene, myself.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a broken spring on my Rochelle.

One day, one of the buttons went in and wouldn't come out. I undid a few screws and took the end plate off and you could see one of the springs had fractured.

Wim sent me a new spring under warranty and I had planned to replace it myself. It looked a DIY job.

I imagine that if you play a mechanical instrument like the concertina, which has buttons, levers which act as a pivot, pads which block the air and bellows, you will eventually

get wear problems which will need some rectification.

The Rochelle is an entry level musical instrument. Its limitations soon become apparent, but it is an instrument. It got me into playing, but I soon upgraded. A couple of years later, I had a go on a Hohner and it was a virtually unplayable toy. The Rochelle is in a different league.

[Physically large, yes. But my understanding is that on the Rochelle both the size and spacing of buttons deliberately match vintage English-built anglos. That's certainly the case with its English-system equivalent, the Jackie, with the one difference being that vintage anglos tend to vary more in button size and even spacing. But the vintage exceptions, in my experience, have (slightly) larger spacing and larger-diameter buttons than the usual (and the Rochelle), not the other way around.

When my partner upgraded from her Jackie to a Lachenal, (Paragon I think) there was a small but significant difference in button spacing. This was one reason why she was happy to sell the Jackie on rather than keep it as a reserve instrument. All of which is not to say that she didn't enjoy the Jackie and greatly value it as a route into playing EC and being happy to pay the cost of a nice vintage Lachenal.

So I've gone ahead and ordered a Jack (Baritone) through Concertina Connection! Very much looking forward to it. I prefer the lower sound of the Jack from what I've heard. After looking at the fingering, it seems it might be a little easier for me to learn on than the Rochelle, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all of your comments, they have been really helpful, especially since we don't seem to have any dealers for concertina connection products over here in Australia.

Guest HallelujahAl!

The 'Jack' is an excellent instrument - and nowhere, but nowhere, are you going to find a baritone concertina that good for that price! So well done and many congrats on joining the mad world of concertinas :)

AL