Hopscotch

I was so enamoured of the playing of Ralph Jordan, on his very recent CD and particularly of his rendition of "Hopscotch" that I "Googled" Alexander Prince and found quite a few pieces, from wax cylinder recordings. Wow!

I am currently revising my version of "Woodland Flowers" by listening very carefully to Prince's fine setting. I have this on a 'slow downer' program and thus rebuilding my playing of it ,by ear. I have played the tune for many years in the Irish version called "Mrs.Kenny's Barndance" which is quite different.

I am so much enjoying Mr.Prince's attention to detail and wonder if there are more "classic" recordings available on the web. Are there other players to search for?

Any advise would be much aprieciated.

And again thanks Ralphie,

Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Rare Tunes has a couple:

http://www.raretunes.org/performers/alexander-prince/

Internet Archive has some:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22Alexander%20Prince%22%20AND%20mediatype%3Aaudio

I can only find 6 on YouTube:

Alexander Prince - Hornpipe Medley

Alexander Prince - Silver Heels

"Under The Double Eagle March"- A PRINCE (Concertina)

"Lads Of Scotland"- ALEXANDER PRINCE (1908)

"Nazarath"- A PRINCE (Concertina)

Thanks

Leo

Hi Geoff

Rare Tunes has a couple:

http://www.raretunes...exander-prince/

Internet Archive has some:

http://www.archive.o...diatype%3Aaudio

I can only find 6 on YouTube:

Alexander Prince - Silver Heels

"Under The Double Eagle March"- A PRINCE (Concertina)

"Lads Of Scotland"- ALEXANDER PRINCE (1908)

"Nazarath"- A PRINCE (Concertina)

Thanks

Leo

There's one very good source where you can find quite a few Alexander Prince recordings Geoff ... the Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project website http://cylinders.lib...b.edu/index.php

That's where I found Prince's recording of "Hopscotch", following a developing curiosity about the man and his playing, thanks to Ralphie talking about Prince and his musical fanaticism, and showing me a photograph . Having found that (and one or two other tunes played by him), I then shoved a link to "Hopscotch" under Ralphie's nose (or should that be ears?) B) (Having heard what he finally came up with, I am happy that I did that - he's come up with a great homage to the original).

The number of items actually digitized and available to actually listen to and download on that site has increased since I first found it a couple of years ago, as the project is an ongoing one.There are now 16 Alexander Prince items up there , one item by Pirishnikoff "The Nightingale", and a rather enchanting little ditty by Arthur Osmond entitled "I played my concertina" - all of which you can find when you search for anything concertina related on the site. http://cylinders.lib...uery=concertina

Apart from that there are some rather wonderful bits and pieces that you can find on there which are totally non-concertina related. - it's well worth a browse and a hunt around and a visit - Cylinder of the day today is a piece by Sousa's band.

Re the Youtube videos with Prince recordings - those have come on apace in the last year or so too. When I first searched I could only find one .... but the number has gradually grown.(I keep searching every so often to find what new ones I can come up with!

(Probably best to check the spelling of the first name, by the way - the recordings by Alexandra Prince are totally different!)

By the way - since Ralphie credits you with being the reason for taking up the Maccann duet, it looks as though I can blame you for that as well indirectly, since I'd never heard of a Maccann until I met him... and three years or so after that I am on the upwards learning curve myself .Thanks by the way ... LOL :D

Edited by Irene S

Are there other players to search for?

Geoff,

I'd strongly recommend Ernest Rutterford, who played both English and MacCann duet systems, though his commercial recordings are all on the duet (his recording of "Recollections of Scotland" on the English, that I have, wasn't commercially released).

Ernest's father, Charles Rutterford, was a pupil of no less than the 19th century virtuoso Richard Blagrove, and he played in the Blagrove Quartet. Charles later taught both Ernest and Harry Minting.

Geoff,

I'd strongly recommend Ernest Rutterford, who played both English and MacCann duet systems, though his commercial recordings are all on the duet (his recording of "Recollections of Scotland" on the English, that I have, wasn't commercially released).

Ernest's father, Charles Rutterford, was a pupil of no less than the 19th century virtuoso Richard Blagrove, and he played in the Blagrove Quartet. Charles later taught both Ernest and Harry Minting.

I thought I'd Google for any sign of a recording available to listen to or download on the net .... still no sign that I could find...

But I came up with this instead ... not concertina related, or indeed Ernest Rutterford . But interesting!:)

Edited by Irene S

A lot of what you are looking for Geoff will be on English International (ordered for you) and Duet International when available that will feature Alexander Prince and probably a Duet recording from Ernest Rutterford who was featured on English Int, but this time playing Duet. No news on this project at the moment.

Al

Well this is coming on great... thanks for the links everybody.Keep them coming please.....

Here is where I found "Woodland Flowers" and quite a few others; www.beemp3.com . Sorry not good a paste and copy, another task to learn.

Irene, we then should be thanking each other for all the help, coincidental or direct, and thus to all this fine community of enthusiasts for furthering the cause.

Geoff.

Well this is coming on great... thanks for the links everybody.Keep them coming please.....

Here is where I found "Woodland Flowers" and quite a few others; www.beemp3.com . Sorry not good a paste and copy, another task to learn.

Irene, we then should be thanking each other for all the help, coincidental or direct, and thus to all this fine community of enthusiasts for furthering the cause.

Geoff.

Did Alexander Prince ever record any purely solo work without piano accompaniment ?

A lot of what you are looking for Geoff will be on English International (ordered for you) and Duet International when available that will feature Alexander Prince and probably a Duet recording from Ernest Rutterford who was featured on English Int, but this time playing Duet. No news on this project at the moment.

Al

Ah!! That is great news Alan. I look forward to catching up on the last century, at last.

Bets regards,

Geoff.

Geoff,

Ah Yes Steve,

you have long told me of the wonderfull Mr.Rutterford. I am thinking that these recordings, even on Duet, are very usefull for EC players too because the "style" of playing is the main focus and that is what I am aiming to learn from.

The Phrasing, long sweeping legatos, very nice (almost pizzicato) staccato passages, the bounce of Prince's bellows work and his use of dynamics all thrilled me on the first hearing. Gabi said "now that is the way to play, I could listen to him all day"!

That all this can still come through from a 100 years old wax cylinder is astounding. Mr.Prince's playing sounds to me somewhat over emphasised but that is no bad thing for a stage performer, and no bad thing for getting the point over to us mere mortals today.

Thanks,I will call in to share a pint or two next time I am in Miltown.

Geoff.

If they aren't anywhere else, you can also add Alexander Prince: Christmas Concertina Selection Part 1 and Part 2

New ones to me Wes - thanks. I've now added them to my little collection of downloads .

In the meantime, since Ernest Rutterford was mentioned, I did find this link some time back

http://www.choicerec...gs.com/news.htm

A couple of recordings can be found there of him and Lloyd Shakespeare (brass player) (well, one and a bit to be precise) ... and there is one full download there. (As I no longer have Realplayer up and running on my machine I can't access it at the moment, although I seem to remember listening to it at some point in the past)

Geoff , you said "Irene, we then should be thanking each other for all the help, coincidental or direct, and thus to all this fine community of enthusiasts for furthering the cause." ... absolutely!! I had great fun at Whitby meeting one or two people that were only names on here to me up until that point, and I've received encouragement from one or two as well ... so thanks to all and sundry.

And @ Al ... I'm looking forward to Duet International as and when. Maybe I'll ask someone to buy it for me for my birthday (depending on when it has finally reached distribution point). ;)

Edited by Irene S

Geoff.

Did Alexander Prince ever record any purely solo work without piano accompaniment ?

You gave me a lot of work with this one Rod and on what I have just heard the answer appears to be no.

When compiling these artists representative tracks I look for difference in styles and sounds and although the tracks sent to Graham are different they all have piano, or band backing.

This is the Reuben Shaw collection list that I have recently received (15 tracks) and a further 5 tracks have come from the Jim Ward collection and he has just about every record ever made by Prince

Administration March

The Lost Chord

Lumbrin Luke

Estoniantina Waltz

On the Mississippi

Pas de Quartre

The Trail of the Lonesome Pine

Colonel Bogey

Concertina Medley Part 1 & 2

You made me love you (I had a good sing to this one)

Prarie Flower March

The Dawn of Spring parts 1 & 2

Soldiers of the King

Jim is considering releasing at some time in the future all his A.P recordings in CD format but has a lot of cleaning of recordings to do.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Jim is considering releasing at some time in the future all his A.P recordings in CD format but has a lot of cleaning of recordings to do.

Al

I saw you mention that before Al .... I'd certainly consider buying a copy if he did .

My reaction to Prince's music was to ask myself what all the fuss was about. He plays it very nicely, but what he plays seems incredible simple; he relies on that piano accompaniment to the point where I wonder whether the main reason he carries a big duet is for effect.

I'm puzzled by the man; he's known as one of the all time greats but never seems to use this skill on his recordings. It's musical, yes, but not technically demanding. On what evidence is he supposed to be so extraordinary?

The ICA library has music for a few of his party pieces and the ones I've seen are very basic. Unlike most of the ICA stuff they look professionally typeset so I thought maybe this was a simplified version for the audience to try and play on the parlour piano/concertina. For me this is giving him the benefit of the doubt without evidence he deserves it though.

Geoff, if you want to hear a truly demon duet player go to the Cnet links page and find the Herbert Green page. Now he's impressive.

Well.

I've got about 10 Prince 78s.

One of them is the Bluebells of Scotland (Yes with piano acc)

I would defy anyone to play it today....I certainly couldn't!

I don't think it matters How Alexander played. Or indeed anyone, including me!

We all bring our musings to the table, for other people to enjoy or reject.

But everybodys contribution is welcome, surely?

If you don't like it, ignore it.

I happen to like Mr Princes renditions.

And he gave me Hopscotch, 100 years after he recorded it.

What is there not to like about that?

It would be lovely to think that in 100 years, someone might hear my playing and be inspired.

Life continues. That's how it goes.

I've got about 10 Prince 78s. One of them is the Bluebells of Scotland (Yes with piano acc) I would defy anyone to play it today....I certainly couldn't!

Thanks, Ralph. I had tended to agree with Dirge about Prince but changed my mind after hearing that one. Here is a link to an mp3 of it.

My reaction to Prince's music was to ask myself what all the fuss was about. He plays it very nicely, but what he plays seems incredible simple; he relies on that piano accompaniment to the point where I wonder whether the main reason he carries a big duet is for effect.

I'm puzzled by the man; he's known as one of the all time greats but never seems to use this skill on his recordings. It's musical, yes, but not technically demanding. On what evidence is he supposed to be so extraordinary?

The ICA library has music for a few of his party pieces and the ones I've seen are very basic. Unlike most of the ICA stuff they look professionally typeset so I thought maybe this was a simplified version for the audience to try and play on the parlour piano/concertina. For me this is giving him the benefit of the doubt without evidence he deserves it though.

Geoff, if you want to hear a truly demon duet player go to the Cnet links page and find the Herbert Green page. Now he's impressive.

The piano accompaniment plays a significant part in the Prince recordings that I have heard. They would certainly not be as effective without it. I just wonder if the pianist was allowed a share in the credit ?