Earplugs

Rod

The UK Ministry of Defence has issued a diktat odering Military Bandsmen to wear earplugs whilst playing. Those who refuse to do so while playing on parade will face disciplinary action. It must be true ?....it appears in today's 'Daily Telegraph' !!!!

The UK Ministry of Defence has issued a diktat odering Military Bandsmen to wear earplugs whilst playing. Those who refuse to do so while playing on parade will face disciplinary action. It must be true ?....it appears in today's 'Daily Telegraph' !!!!

I use Cotton wool, when playing next to Three diatonic accordions, it is cheaper than proper ear plugs.

But, one man I met recently, a Clarinet player who joined our "ad-hoc" band, allways uses ear plugs. He had special ones, recomended by the musicians union. He said that with them in place it is was perfectly possible to hear all the band instruments ( read Orchestra etc.) but that the plugs eliminated "Dangerous Decibels".

You would need to get these ear plugs made to fit your "lugs" but they would be cheaper than a life on the dole for a deaf musician.

Thinking of deaf musicians... how many do you know ? I know quite a few... well, judging by the way they play that is.

I have recently found a cure for my Accordion problem.... a very loud Concertina.... now I really will need the ear defenders !

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Deaf comes to us all, eventually. :rolleyes:

Deaf and Texas?
:unsure:

Deaf and tax is.

Mind you, down in Croydon, we pretend to be more refined than the "common" Londoners; however, the end result sounds similar!

Deaf comes to us all, eventually. :rolleyes:

Deaf and Texas?
:unsure:

Deaf and tax is.

Mind you, down in Croydon, we pretend to be more refined than the "common" Londoners; however, the end result sounds similar!

Duuurrrr.... well I did not "get-it" first time around,Peter, and I am from 'Sarf eets Lunnon' (maybe thems is a bit fick from there)... well I did leave 35 years ago... so maybe that explains it... now where's me deff aide luv ?

Well speaking as a Surrey person born and bred (upper class accent being used here) I had no trouble whatsoever with Peter' witticism .... tee hee ...;)

Maybe I am just getting a little too old to aprieciate mortal humour, Irene.

Ear ear, I percieve you all cry.

I recall someone, in Ireland, coming to me for help with a "Deaf note" on their Concertina.

Geoff.

In the valley, in South Wales, from which my mother hails:

ear

here

year

your

all have the almost identical pronunciation (yer), which can create a certain amount of confusion. I recall a cousin waggling her ear with her fingers, saying "yer yer" (your ear). :unsure:

If any of the family read this "We'll keep a welcome" might be a thing of the past!

LOL. I have a sneaking suspicion that you and I are of about the same age Geoff! (although I could be wrong). :)

LOL. I have a sneaking suspicion that you and I are of about the same age Geoff! (although I could be wrong). :)

Den I'd-er beh-err noh cez ow owd I'z iiz fore feer off hexposin yoose, ehh! Yer- no, Irene ?

I've not retired, yet, probably never will, but I do get "senior" concessions here in France, like cheaper train fares and no TV licence and ,maybe, a discount on hearing aids. But the members of our local "band" make no concessions for the old geezers. You can see what I have to put up with in the attached picture, taken a couple of weeks back at an 'environmental fair'. I'm not sure how "eco" friendly so many accordions can be, but it was certainly not earhole friendly!!

There is just me and Jean-Francois ,(sitting next to me) who plays Hurdy Gurdy, that have reached the magic soixante ans. The Accordion in-balance is not usually so bad, but both our wives were otherwise engaged that day, and they usually add hugely to this ensemble.

Unfortunately (or some might say fortunately) I don't look like my Avatar these days. That was taken in Miltown Malbay, Willie Clancy Summer School 1985.

Now where have I put my glasses, the ones I need to go put on the kettle.

Geoff.

post-8475-059047400 1286259345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Re original post, perhaps it's not surprising when you consider the fact that in Ireland just a few years ago, we had a big thing going on with 'army deafness' claims. Started with a couple of test cases by soldiers who claimed they had not been issued with ear protectors when on training exercises. When they were successful, the proverbial flood gates opened and it seemed that all & sundry jumped on the bandwagon :(

Re original post, perhaps it's not surprising when you consider the fact that in Ireland just a few years ago, we had a big thing going on with 'army deafness' claims. Started with a couple of test cases by soldiers who claimed they had not been issued with ear protectors when on training exercises. When they were successful, the proverbial flood gates opened and it seemed that all & sundry jumped on the bandwagon :(

Much as I had already guessed Tombilly. I know of a bloke who was well pleased to have become a recipient of regular financial compensation having claimed for loss of hearing as a result of service with the artillery in the Second World War..... getting on for 50 years or more after the event!