Hard Case

I'm interested to know what others do to protect their valuable concertina's.

I guess the obvious thing is to get a gig or hard case from the maker of the concertina, but if thats not possible, are there other options ???

They're very light and strong plastic--Jim Hardigg made his name selling plastic cases for sensitive electronics for both civilian and military use (he's sold out to Pelican, alas, but he had good reasons for doing so). I got a Storm Case with the cubed foam a couple of years ago and carried my Morse about in it for a while, but it tended to try to come out when I took the instrument out, and it was starting to split along the perforations. The current plan is to put blocks in it for my Wheatstone, once I figure out the best way to do that (I have the original Wheatstone case, but it's rather battered). I believe it's Thomas Concertinas that supplies blocked and lined Storm Cases with new instruments.

Joshua Mackay-Smith

I have a Hardigg case. I think they are brilliant. I do need to get it properly blocked tough. If he's sold out to Pelican, does that mean you can no longer get a Hardigg? I've looked at both and much prefer the Hardigg.

Paul, Hardigg still exists--it's just that it's now a Pelican subsidiary. As far as I know, they've still got their factories in South Deerfield, MA, and elsewhere, and while I don't know what changes have happened under Pelican's management, I don't think there's any danger of any of the Hardigg product lines going away.

This is exactly the case I use for my baritone, right down to the color.

A little padding inside (and an extra strap for security) and it is perfect. I found a second one up for grabs on the local Free Cycle, and snatched it up for when I get 'tina number two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230458213704&rvr_id=150439767023&crlp=1_263602_304642&UA=WXI7&GUID=45f3ec021280a0e20541a971ffe3a1ab&itemid=230458213704&ff4=263602_304642

NNY

I got a custom hard case made by Greg Jowaisas and it is perfect. A really good price too. I highly recommend his work.

http://www.concertin...hp?showuser=120

I had Greg build a case for my Jeffries, with a storage compartment for the Microvox. It offers great protection for the instrument, and looks great, too. With 3 latches, I don't worry about accidental spills.

• 1 month later...

I was here today:

http://www.iitsec.org/Pages/default.aspx

A thoroughly amazing display of simulations, that you should never let your kids near unless you have a few million for the play room, anyway, what do I come across but a vendor displaying Pelican Cases, and he has the 2075. It sure looks like a good fit. My American Tourister case, which has served me well, just died when the lock broke off. I am going to drop in on the vendor's local office for a fit check. The case is sort of industrial, but looks really tough. His quote is $69 new.

NNY

I was here today:

http://www.iitsec.or...es/default.aspx

A thoroughly amazing display of simulations, that you should never let your kids near unless you have a few million for the play room, anyway, what do I come across but a vendor displaying Pelican Cases, and he has the 2075. It sure looks like a good fit. My American Tourister case, which has served me well, just died when the lock broke off. I am going to drop in on the vendor's local office for a fit check. The case is sort of industrial, but looks really tough. His quote is $69 new.

NNY

Hm. Orion Cases has them for rather less...also B&H Photo and the aptly named hardiggdistributor.com. Although if his quote is for the case with padded dividers, it's closer to these examples--the cheapest option is to get the case empty and block and line it yourself (I'll get around to it sooner or later...).

[

Hm. Orion Cases has them for rather less...also B&H Photo and the aptly named hardiggdistributor.com. Although if his quote is for the case with padded dividers, it's closer to these examples--the cheapest option is to get the case empty and block and line it yourself (I'll get around to it sooner or later...).

That's interesting. The price quoted to me was for the one with padded dividers (iM2075-X0002), so it is close, but who would think that some nylon covered foam pads would add so much cost.

That's interesting. The price quoted to me was for the one with padded dividers (iM2075-X0002), so it is close, but who would think that some nylon covered foam pads would add so much cost.

Who indeed--maybe it's particularly fancy padding? Not impossible, since Jim Hardigg made his name with cases for sensitive electronic equipment...