Derwentwater's Farewell EC arrangement

Podzol

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I haven't been a very active user on the forum, but I appreciate it as a resource. Here's an arrangement I made for EC of a slow tune for you.

It's my first arrangement, so if you have any constructive critique, it is welcome.

Best,

Blake

I post this with some hesitance; in arrangements I'm a beginner too.

Having been away from home for several weeks I missed your posting at the time. Since returning about a week ago I've been waiting for someone more experienced to comment on your first arrangement, but since no one has then I hope this is of help.

First of all; well done, both for the arrangement and having the courage to post it for comment!

I'm fairly new to adding harmony, but for what it's worth..........

With EC I find that putting in harmony for every, or nearly every, note of the tune can sound very heavy. Some of those minims and dotted minims for instance might be felt to overwhelm what is quite a delicate pipe melody. We all have to cope with the problem of bellows pressure being the same for the melody and the harmony, so long notes in the harmony can be, in effect, a drone.

Similarly in the 8th full bar, a 4 note C major chord is perhaps overdoing it - lovely though it is to get that sound from your box!

Can I suggest you try a bit less in the harmony line and see what you think?

But at the end of the day it's your arrangement and you know what you want to achieve.

John

Edited by John Adey

Can I suggest you try a bit less in the harmony line and see what you think?

But at the end of the day it's your arrangement and you know what you want to achieve.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree now that you state it so clearly. I have generally been playing one verse without the accompaniment and one with as a balance, but I think you are correct.

The big chords are so fun to get out of a little instrument... I feel POWER! But that's not always appropriate. :)

Thanks again for your insight!

Best wishes,

Blake

The big chords are so fun to get out of a little instrument... I feel POWER! But that's not always appropriate. :)

Yes, they make the hairs on my neck tingle, especially on a baritone when chords at the lower end of the register vibrate through you.

And if you haven't tried a baritone yet, you have a real treat in store!

John

And if you haven't tried a baritone yet, you have a real treat in store!

I am playing a Baritone Morse Albion. It's WONDERFUL! I had the low A-flat swapped for a lower F to make harmony on some tunes where that is be more useful than a second G-sharp/A-flat. I am waiting for my Baritone Geordie from Morse, which will be done around the winter Holiday. It will be a merry one for me!

As big as the Baritone sounds with three buttons down, I am completely drowned out by my husband's tenor saxophone when we play duets. Thinking of getting a mic. He doesn't seem to be able to play softer.

I'll post a lighter version of the song when I figure out how I want to trim it.

Edited by Podzol

• 3 weeks later...

I'll post a lighter version of the song when I figure out how I want to trim it.

FWIW, This grand old tune crops up in other places in different forms. It is also the well-worn 6/8 English country dance tune Never Love Thee More. Love it.

FWIW, This grand old tune crops up in other places in different forms. It is also the well-worn 6/8 English country dance tune Never Love Thee More. Love it.

I believe it's also "very similar" to an O'Carolan tune in O'Neill's. Planxty Scott? (I don't have my book handy.)

I believe it's also "very similar" to an O'Carolan tune in O'Neill's. Planxty Scott? (I don't have my book handy.)

Like this? http://www.8notes.com/scores/8120.asp?ftype=gif

Like this? http://www.8notes.com/scores/8120.asp?ftype=gif

Yep. That's it.
:)