What Comes After a Rochelle ?

Barry J

I see a lot of posts prescribing that aspiring concertina players should start with a Rochelle.

I bought a Rochelle.

What is the next step up, assuming that one is now familiar with the button layout of the Rochelle.

I'm in the UK, so am interested in what range of instruments would be open to somebody like myself, as a follow-on

to the Rochelle.

The Rochelle is about £300-400 in the UK, so what is the next price step ??

I see a lot of posts prescribing that aspiring concertina players should start with a Rochelle.

I bought a Rochelle.

What is the next step up, assuming that one is now familiar with the button layout of the Rochelle.

I'm in the UK, so am interested in what range of instruments would be open to somebody like myself, as a follow-on

to the Rochelle.

Next price step is a Stagi, but it's not much better than a Rochelle (some people say that the Rochelle is better despite its lower price).

Next step after that for a new concertina would be one of the hybrid/midrange concertinas on the current makes list. The British-made ones are AP James, Sherwood (Hobgoblin), Marcus and Norman.

Another possibility would be the lower end of vintage concertina, probably a Lachenal or Jones. A very good dealer of restored vintage concertinas is Barleycorn Concertinas. Since you're in the UK, you could pay them a visit and try out what they have in stock.

I bought a Rochelle.

to the Rochelle.

Depends on how much money you have to spend and what you like, in terms of sound.

The modern hybrids (Morse, Tedrow, Norman, Marcus, etc) are a huge step up from the Rochelle, in terms of playability; none of these will hold you back the way a Rochelle - and especially a Stagi - will.

The downside: some people strongly prefer the sound of true concertina reeds. If you're one of them, you'll have to spend a lot more to get an instrument that equals the hybrids in terms of the mechanics. In other words: a low-end Lachenal will sound like a "real" concertina, but may have a sloppier, slower, louder action than a good hybrid.

All depends on what you like. I know people who love the sound of a good accordion-reeded instrument, I know people who aren't satisfied with anything but real concertina reeds. It's all personal.

If, following your experience with the Rochelle, you've decided the concertina is for you then the answer is simple: buy the best you can afford. You really won't regret it. The next step is to think hard about your budget and to try and play some of the alternatives. Playing the Rochelle should have helped equip you to feel the differences between different concertinas and decide what's right for you.

Cheers,

Chris

Next price step is a Stagi, but it's not much better than a Rochelle (some people say that the Rochelle is better despite its lower price).

Next step after that for a new concertina would be one of the hybrid/midrange concertinas on the current makes list. The British-made ones are AP James, Sherwood (Hobgoblin), Marcus and Norman.

The modern hybrids (Morse, Tedrow, Norman, Marcus, etc) are a huge step up from the Rochelle, in terms of playability; none of these will hold you back the way a Rochelle - and especially a Stagi - will.

Also consider the Clover from Concertina Connection. I purchased one a couple of months ago from Barleycorn Concertinas (http://www.concertina.co.uk/) and have been delighted with it. Regarding suggestions above, when I was looking to move up (from a Hohner), there was a waiting list of 4 months for a Marcus, and Hobgoblin said it was a year's wait for a Sherwood.

As Jim indicates, cheaper models (Rochelle and Stagi, and in my case a Hohner) do hold back one's playing. I was amazed at the virtually instant improvement in my playing when I moved from a Hohner to a Clover.

Regards, Chris

I had a Rochelle and soon felt the need to upgrade. I bought Marcus and was very pleased with it. Nicely made box, and under £1,500.

A year or two later, I had an opportunity and bought a Jeffries which is a further big step up.

The Marcus is a good purchase, and they are nice people to deal with.