Faulty Rochelle

Unfortunately, my Rochelle Anglo has developed a fault after only 2 months.

One of the keys refuses to spring out again.

I have opened the end of the unit by undoing the screws and lifting the end off.

The fault is caused by a fractured spring on that key.

I bought the unit from the Music Room in Cleckheaton in the UK, so have contacted them for a solution.

The unit should still be under warranty, so we will see what transpires.

I'm feeling slightly miffed as this means no playing for a while...

Edited by Barry J

Unfortunately, my Rochelle Anglo has developed a fault after only 2 months.

One of the keys refuses to spring out again.

I have opened the end of the unit by undoing the screws and lifting the end off.

The fault is caused by a fractured spring on that key.

I bought the unit from the Music Room in Cleckheaton in the UK, so have contacted them for a solution.

The unit should still be under warranty, so we will see what transpires.

I'm feeling slightly miffed as this means no playing for a while...

Had the same problem a few years ago, when I purchased a Rochelle soon after they came out, though we may have had different issues. I purchased mine from Wim Wakker. He was great to deal with. I described the problem to him and he told me that on rare occasion glue was allowed to get under the spring at the factory and after it hardened the spring no longer could stretch completely each time a button was pushed. It then eventually broke withiin a few weeks of playing. He sent me a couple of new springs and told me how to install them. Not hard at all. Your problem may have a different origin, but if the Music Room can send you a few replacement springs (free of charge of course), you could do the repair quickly. If not, I hope they will quickly get it fixed for you. No fun being without your concertina. Best of luck.

The simple fact is that concertinas are complicated mechanical beasts, and even the best quality instruments require attention at more or less frequent intervals. Sometimes things break - springs especially. It's frustrating when you can't play, but that's how it is. Many players keep a small stock of springs, pads and valves so they can fix these themselves.

Which note is it? Many notes are duplicated elsewhere, so it may be an opportunity to work out some alternative fingerings.

but if the Music Room can send you a few replacement springs (free of charge of course), you could do the repair quickly. I

Wim Wakker supplies springs and other basic repair parts free of charge to his dealers.

One end of the spring is bent over at a right angle and pressed into the wood of the action board, the other end just hooks under the lever. Pull out the remains of the spring and push the end of the new spring into the same hole. It can be a bit fiddly getting the end of the spring into place but otherwise its not complicated.

Thanks Theo.

So they are just punched into the plywood base like a nail - not glued at all ??

one leg into the wood for mounting, one leg outstretched to tension against and one leg curled around the key lever ?

Will the mounting leg be attached well enough, if it just uses the the same hole vacated by the broken one ??

One end of the spring is bent over at a right angle and pressed into the wood of the action board, the other end just hooks under the lever. Pull out the remains of the spring and push the end of the new spring into the same hole. It can be a bit fiddly getting the end of the spring into place but otherwise its not complicated.

How easy is it to remove a damaged spring and replace it with another ??

Looking at the reed pan, its quite hard to see how the spring is attached.

See attached photograph.

BarryJ,

Here's a copy of the email I received from Wim Wakker regarding replacing the spring I had that was broken in a Rochelle. Hope it helps you. I found the spring easy to replace.

Dear Cary,

We'll send you a few springs today. Sorry about that. Normally springs never

break.

Some one in the factory made the mistake of changing the order of the action

assembly. They first installed the springs, and then glued down the posts

(next to the springs, instead of the other way around. As a result some

springs are also glued, which interferes with their movement. That's why the

spring broke..

Installing the new spring is very easy. Just push the tip of the steel into

the wood. When you open the instrument again, check the spring coils. make

sure they are not glued down. If they are, you can just pull them over a

little to free them.

I've already notified the factory...an other item on the quality check list.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Wim Wakker

Concertina Connection v.o.f.

Will the mounting leg be attached well enough, if it just uses the the same hole vacated by the broken one ??

It should be ok. If it seems loose then a tiny drop of superglue into the hole, after fitting the spring, will hold it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Theo.

So they are just punched into the plywood base like a nail - not glued at all ??

one leg into the wood for mounting, one leg outstretched to tension against and one leg curled around the key lever ?

The spring's natural tension keeps it firmly in the hole. Glue is neither necessary or desirable. In a pinch, an ordinary safety pin clipped and bent to match will serve as a temporary replacement though the tension may be different.

Dana

In a pinch, an ordinary safety pin clipped and bent to match will serve as a temporary replacement though the tension may be different.

In the Irish countryside people often used a goose quill to replace a spring in a concertina, in fact I'm repairing one at the moment that belonged to Junior Crehan's mother, Margaret “Baby” Crehan.

In a pinch, an ordinary safety pin clipped and bent to match will serve as a temporary replacement though the tension may be different.

In the Irish countryside people often used a goose quill to replace a spring in a concertina, in fact I'm repairing one at the moment that belonged to Junior Crehan's mother, Margaret “Baby” Crehan.

Just makes me wonder about all the knowledge we've lost! Puts things in perspective a bit in a time when safety pins were too dear...(Hmmmm... thiinking about all the semi wild Canadian geese pooping on the lawns of Bethesda...)

Dana

Well, to summarise this episode.

I e-mailed the shop where I bought it and they said "send it back", but the response was a bit luke warm.

I envisaged being without the instrument for weeks, so I asked them to send me the spring and I'll do it myself, but I'm still waiting.

In the end, I got in touch with Wim in the states and he mailed me a couple of springs over which arrived in a few days - very good customer service.

I've now sold the Rochelle and bought a Clover.