Shortening link names

I'll try that band link again: http://www.sparepart...uk/SPTunes.php. Failing that, try going to the Tunes page from the home page of the band website http://www.sparepart...uk/SPindex.php.

If it doesn't work for you, email me on valmaigoodyear [at] aol [dot] com.

Sorry Leonard, but your amended link doesn't work either

Works for me...

Same here - no problem with it all.

How wierd. The original link works for me now. Must have had a gremlin that night. BTW, why does it replace 'co' in the url with two dots, following 'add reply'? Anyone know?

Hallo Chris,

Not only following 'add reply', but also in the text in the post. And not only this link.

For the sake of readability any link name in this forum is shortened when it's more than say 40 characters.

But it's only the "name" of a link (as appears blue and underlined in the text) that is shortened. The actual link (URL or link address) isn't.

You can check that by right clicking the link and choose 'copy link address'; paste it somewhere else to see it's not shortened.

That's how I found out, that there was a dot at the end of the link address of the original link.

Does this answer your question?

Edited by Leonard

Hallo Chris,

Not only following 'add reply', but also in the text in the post. And not only this link.

For the sake of readability any link name in this forum is shortened when it's more than say 40 characters.

But it's only the "name" of a link (as appears blue and underlined in the text) that is shortened. The actual link (URL or link address) isn't.

You can check that by right clicking the link and choose 'copy link address'; paste it somewhere else to see it's not shortened.

That's how I found out, that there was a dot at the end of the link address of the original link.

When inputting a link, the editor used to popup a dialog so that you could input the actual link address and the text to display.

Now I've had to input links manually.

This is one I used recently

Primrose Polka

Broken down into components:

open square bracket url=link address in double quotes close square bracket

display text

open square bracket \url close square bracket

This way you can have much more meaningful text in the posting.

I've remembered the text for the link, so that I can paste in a template when I want to generate a link.

When inputting a link, the editor used to popup a dialog so that you could input the actual link address and the text to display.

Now I've had to input links manually.

Different editors, I think.

I don't use the Rich Text Editor. Though I don't at the moment recall how, I selected the "old" editor, and so I still have the popup boxes available for links and other things. I prefer it that way.

I'll try that band link again: http://www.sparepart...uk/SPTunes.php. Failing that, try going to the Tunes page from the home page of the band website http://www.sparepart...uk/SPindex.php.

If it doesn't work for you, email me on valmaigoodyear [at] aol [dot] com.

Sorry Leonard, but your amended link doesn't work either

Works for me...

Same here - no problem with it all.

How wierd. The original link works for me now. Must have had a gremlin that night. BTW, why does it replace 'co' in the url with two dots, following 'add reply'? Anyone know?

Hallo Chris,

Yes it does, Leonard. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater