Norman?Morse? Edgely?Tedrow?

zipper12

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know how it is over there in England, but let me tell you how it is here in Utah: the state is over one-and-a-half times the size of England (six times the size of Ireland), and contains (as nearly as I can determine) four concertina players: two English, and two Anglo....

I think we all understand the problem. Even in England you'd struggle to find somewhere where you could find this range of hybrids together - or even just a couple of them. For instance I've been playing quite a few years now yet to my knowledge I've never even seen a Tedrow or an Edgely let alone played one. That doesn't get away from the fact that the only way to really know which one of these is "right" for you is to physically play them.

Comparative information on concertinas of different makes is something I thirst for. I'm not asking for a glib checklist; I'm asking for anything at all. Anything-- everything! Please tell me!...

There have been a lot of discussions on this site about the qualities of the various makes and comparing two side by side. A bit of searching may give you a lot of the information you are looking for, though you may need to do a bit of detective work to piece it all together.

I think we all understand the problem. Even in England you'd struggle to find somewhere where you could find this range of hybrids together - or even just a couple of them. For instance I've been playing quite a few years now yet to my knowledge I've never even seen a Tedrow or an Edgely let alone played one. That doesn't get away from the fact that the only way to really know which one of these is "right" for you is to physically play them.

Thank you for your sympathy. =) Fortunately, my interest in hybrid anglos is purely academic. As it happens, I have held a Tedrow for a moment; unfortunately, my only lasting impression was that I'm glad I'm playing English, because Anglo doesn't make any sense, even when you have an idea of what's supposed to be going on. (YMMV, of course). (I did get to sit down with a Stagi later and make a little more progress, but I ain't switchin'.)

There have been a lot of discussions on this site about the qualities of the various makes and comparing two side by side. A bit of searching may give you a lot of the information you are looking for, though you may need to do a bit of detective work to piece it all together.

Not since last February, there haven't; I would have noticed. I just think it's a shame that the poor fellow who started the thread is trying to figure out what he needs to know, and everybody who could tell him anything is ostensibly right here, and all he gets is a chorus of "Oh, I like all of them; they're all the best; they're all different; there's no right answer; you have to try them all". Granted, the poll format was kind of asking for it.

I don't know how it is over there in England, but let me tell you how it is here in Utah: the state is over one-and-a-half times the size of England (six times the size of Ireland), and contains (as nearly as I can determine) four concertina players: two English, and two Anglo....

Comparative information on concertinas of different makes is something I thirst for. I'm not asking for a glib checklist; I'm asking for anything at all. Anything-- everything! Please tell me!...

If you can't try them in person search youtube and find vids of them being played. I have a Tedrow...which I bought for sevearal reasons.

1) I thought it was prettier than the other makers IMO

2) I liked that I could follow the progress on twitter ;)

3) It was in my price range

4) The waiting list wasn't too long.

5) I read some comments about the buttons being closer together. And I have small hands so that suited me as I struggle with reaching buttons on other 'makes'.

6) I liked the sound.

7) and since I've got it I find its suits my abilities.

I know several cnetters (who are much better players than me) have tried my concertina and I don't think I've had any major criticism of the box.

hope this helps.

...I just think it's a shame that the poor fellow who started the thread is trying to figure out what he needs to know, and everybody who could tell him anything is ostensibly right here, and all he gets is a chorus of "Oh, I like all of them; they're all the best; they're all different; there's no right answer; you have to try them all"...

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that it's wrong. ;)

...I just think it's a shame that the poor fellow who started the thread is trying to figure out what he needs to know, and everybody who could tell him anything is ostensibly right here, and all he gets is a chorus of "Oh, I like all of them; they're all the best; they're all different; there's no right answer; you have to try them all"...

I'm reminded of the old anecdote of the hot-air balloonist who shouts down "Excuse me, sir, can you tell me where I am?" and the fellow who shouts back "Sure, you're in a balloon!"

Not only is it a true fact, it's a fact very relevant to the situation, and one that it would behoove our balloonist friend not to forget. But as an answer to the question, it leaves a little something wanting.

I'm Puzzled : at the top of this thread my computer says "You have already voted in this poll" , but I don't remember having done so ! I may have done a wrong click... Does anyone know a way to cancel my vote ?

I certainly did not intend to vote as I've never tried any instruments of these makers (despite the fact that I have actually placed an order with TWO of them...)

I'm Puzzled : at the top of this thread my computer says "You have already voted in this poll" , but I don't remember having done so ! I may have done a wrong click... Does anyone know a way to cancel my vote ?

I certainly did not intend to vote as I've never tried any instruments of these makers (despite the fact that I have actually placed an order with TWO of them...)

As they say, "Don't worry."

You haven't voted.

It's a misleading (to put it kindly) message.

What you almost certainly have done is look at the poll results. In order to prevent votes being cast on the basis of perceived popularity instead of person conviction, one isn't allowed to vote after viewing the results. That's what the "Null Vote" notation on the "View Results" button means... it nullifies your "right to vote".

I'm not alone in thinking that this is far from clear to anyone who hasn't had it explained to them before they run afoul of it, but that's the way it works.

...as an answer to the question, it leaves a little something wanting.

Maybe - but it's probably the best you're going to get. A reviewer may be able to objectively talk about build quality, appearance, weight, materials etc - but then this info is already out there & all these makes are highly regarded. When you get to qualities such as sound; button placement, travel & feel; responsiveness etc it's very subjective. For instance many people really like the sound of the Morses but for me it's their weakest point - so who's opinion is going to be closest to yours? Hence you need to try them yourself if you can, or else accept that whichever you buy is going to be a decent box and like LDT choose which one to buy using other criteria.

I was lucky, I got to try two of those listed, Morse and Norman plus a Marcus and a Connor. The Connor was different from the others as it had recovered Lachenal reeds rather than accordion reeds. Of the four, the Connor had the best tone but the bass reeds did not speak very well. In fact the low C needed a good shove to get it to speak, so I decided against it. Of the other three I chose the Morse because I found it the most comfortable to play; it fitted my hand better than the other two and it was lighter which I liked. I would have been happy with any of them as far as the tone is concerned, but the Morse was more playable for me.

At the end of the day, the choice of concertina is a subjective one; it's what suits you best, though I appreciate that many people don't have the opportunity I had, so have to make a choice on other criteria.

Geoff