OK Dirge?

Bit concerned for Dirge with the Earthquake, hope all is well.

Al

Hi Alan

I was thinking the same thing, and found he posted earlier this morning (Northern Hemisphere), things are good. I'm glad.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11682&view=findpost&p=115996

Thanks

Leo

Yes thank you folks, I'm well out of it here; Christchurch is a long way away from Napier. It was on the same fierceness as the recent Haiti one but there was only one (sort of) casualty, a bloke who had such a fright that he died of a heart attack. Then there were a couple of nasty injuries from flying debris, and lots of cuts bruises and scared types as you'd expect. Kiwi houses are wood and that gives a bit and rides something like this out, but the older ones have a brick chimney. I gather lots of them have fractured and this sort of thing accounts for a lot of the '500 houses damaged'. There seems to be a lot of sewerage and waterpipe fracturing which could make it miserable for the next week or two. But fundamentally NZ is a well sorted place that has plans in place for, and builds to allow for the odd nasty 'quake so it won't be a major issue. (Anyone paying insurance contributes to a government 'earthquake insurance' fund as part of their premium)

Napier, my home, still holds the records for fiercest and most lethal earthquake of the lot, back in 1931. We have a great party every year to celebrate it (if that's the word). Anyone coming to NZ should try and include The Art Deco weekend here, it's brilliant.

Napier, my home, still holds the records for fiercest and most lethal earthquake of the lot, back in 1931. We have a great party every year to celebrate it (if that's the word). Anyone coming to NZ should try and include The Art Deco weekend here, it's brilliant.

Yes, as Dirge says, Napier, a port city on the coast in Hawkes Bay in North Island, was levelled by a huge earthquake in 1931. As result, the town centre was destroyed and rebuilt in the popular Art Deco style of the time, hence the famous annual Art Deco weekend there. I just hope that no concertinas suffered any damage in the recent earthquake.

Chris

• 5 months later...

And once again thank you for asking about me those that have; I don't think anyone even felt it here in Napier; all our family and friends on the spot have reported in safe too, although not without some house repairs needed (substantial in some cases) this time. Nasty stuff; gives the lie to all that 'lightning never strikes twice' business. The time between the 2 major shocks has been filled with lots of lesser ones, sometimes also quite unpleasant, so they've had a bit of a pasting all round. Normally these are expected to die down over a week or two apparently, but not this time.

Ironically we only finished our 'post earthquake' annual party here 48 hours before it cut loose.

... gives the lie to all that 'lightning never strikes twice' business.

I guess that would be more true of lightning than earthquakes, but if we must go building cities on tectonic faults... :huh:

Stay safe!

In Chch's defence no one knew there was a fault directly under the city until this started up. (Other NZ cities like Wellington have no such excuse) On the other hand earthquakes are part of the deal in NZ, full stop.

... gives the lie to all that 'lightning never strikes twice' business.

I guess that would be more true of lightning than earthquakes, but if we must go building cities on tectonic faults... :huh:

Stay safe!

In Chch's defence no one knew there was a fault directly under the city until this started up. (Other NZ cities like Wellington have no such excuse) On the other hand earthquakes are part of the deal in NZ, full stop.

That is indeed the case. Without the earthquakes--and the active plate boundary that creates both them and the country's topography--there wouldn't be much of a New Zealand. Horrific to see the damage, and the impact on folks. Glad to hear Dirge that you are ok.