Kilve in October

Under 45 days until my first Kilve weekend. I'm really excited! Plus a side trip to the Isle of Man jus to keep things interesting. :ph34r:

I've been to several Kilve weekends and really enjoyed them. I won't be able to come to the October one, this time, but I am sure you will enjoy it, Rod. Not sure about the Isle of Man, though! :unsure:

Chris

Under 45 days until my first Kilve weekend. I'm really excited! Plus a side trip to the Isle of Man jus to keep things interesting. :ph34r:

I've been to Kilve quite a few times & I always found both enjoyable and informative. It's really nice to be in the company of so many Concertina players.

I have been going to the March Kilve weekend for many years. This year I will also be going to the October weekend for the first time, specifically for concertina band workshops.

If you can manage it, stay over an extra night. Those who have farther to travel going home have tended to stay over an extra night, and have a good meal in the Hood arms, followed by music till closing time.

best wishes

John

Edited by John Wild

Kilve is a laugh a minute Rod, you'll love it. Bring some matchsticks to prop your eyes open on saturday night! I don't know who's teaching the duets but in October it's often Paul McCann, who, perversely, plays Crane, so you're all right there. Give him my best regards.

Why the IoM? Not that it isn't a brilliant place, it just takes a lot of getting to. You do know you've missed both the TT and the MGP, don't you?

England in November might be a shock after Texas...

Dirge,

I know that I've missed the racing ... too bad there ... but I've always wanted to see the IOM. It will be different weather but I think I can handle it. Hopefully it won't be all rain.

I hope that the earthquake in your area didn't cause you any problems!

John,

I'm also interested in the Band workshops but it sounds like Jenny Cox may not be there this year. I'd hoped to meet her after corresponding on and off of c.net.

I've never managed to get to Kilve but it's been on my 'to get to' list for some time. It's always sounded a great event to attend, perhaps 2011 will be the year I get there biggrin.gif (This year it's the Arran event in October that's getting the tick on the listsmile.gif)

• 1 month later...

I made it over and back to Kilve and it was a wonderful trip. DIrge was right, matchsticks for the sessions that all ran untill the small hours. No one warned me that that Paul McCann is usually last man standing. I had a room with 3 other Duet players (2 Maccann and 1 Crane) and ended up doing the Duet track instead of the Band, this time. Bob Harvey took me under his wing and made sure that I never lacked for music or conversation. Met people from c.net and a couple of big names (Dippers, Brian Hayden). It was brilliant!! I'm planning on next year unless the WCCP won't stamp my passport!

It certainly did not dissapoint. Paul McCann was teaching duets. It gave me a good introduction as to how much is possible. Just lots of practice for me!

I did try ... and almost buy ... an 80-button Maccan that Colin Dipper had. It had the compass of my Crane plus the extra low notes down to C-2 that I'd been looking for. Fortunately for the insturment, a proper Maccann player came along and saved it from me. As a sop to my pride, Colin let on that he might have an 80-button Crane available. All is not lost.