Anglo workshops, Ontario

Calling any anglo players in Ontario! On Saturday, Sept. 11 I'll be running two workshops and performing in concert, all organized by the good folks of the Orange Peel Morris Dancers. It's happening at Hockley Village Hall about 30 miles NW of Toronto. From 10:00am - noon I'm doing an anglo workshop for C/G instruments, focussing on technique. Then in the afternoon, from 1:00pm - 3:00pm there will be a second workshop which I will lead on G/D melodeon, but which will be open to G/D anglo (and other instruments) - this one will be more repertoire-based, but I hope to be able to offer some technical tips as well. There may be the possibility of a private lesson or two on the Friday, if anyone's interested.

Further details here: http://www.orange-peel-morris.ca/OP/Concerts.html

I just went to a master class Brian taught, and have been to interactive workshops he taught before. Brian is truly a master of the Anglo concertina. His harmonic arrangements and song accompaniment are truly awe inspiring. Push and shove to get in! One afternoon with Brian several years ago was truly transformative for my playing.

Wanna' do English??? Michelle in SE Wis

Brian does not play English. Too bad you missed him in Geneva Illinois this past weekend--the master class was co-taught by an English concertina player.

Brian is truly a master of the Anglo concertina. His harmonic arrangements and song accompaniment are truly awe inspiring. Push and shove to get in! One afternoon with Brian several years ago was truly transformative for my playing.

After spending yesterday with Brian, I echo your sentiments. What an inspiring player, patient teacher and nice man. After 2 years of mostly self-taught playing, I have accumulated a large store of questions, problems and roadblocks. It was as if Brian had seen my list! I have a lot to practice and work on, but feel like I took a major step forward yesterday.

And the concert was incredible! I had only heard Brian's concertina playing on Anglophelia, but his singing and melodeon playing were also sensational. I have never heard a melodeon played in such an exciting, expressive way. There were a number of really good box players in the audience, and I heard numerous gasps of amazement, and saw many dropping jaws!

Thanks to the Orange Peel Morris for organizing a great day and evening, and to Brian for putting so much of himself into a very long day.