lachenal concertina number 21724

redfrog1971

i have a lachenal concertina number 21724, i think its from 1869.

Looked through the aging diagram.

It makes lots off differing noises.

With all the buttons seem to work.

The outer skin looks in very good condition.

in original box.

I will be getting some better pictures.

And am keenly interested in selling this item.

No History off it. My nan passed it to me from a friend.

That,s about as much as i know.

i am in the UK Merseyside

Take a look at snaps.

Any questions please ask.

Forum owner i have read and will donate.

post-8801-027751000 1283012203_thumb.jpg post-8801-097627300 1283012222_thumb.jpg

post-8801-048071500 1283012220_thumb.jpgpost-8801-068782900 1283012217_thumb.jpg

post-8801-007780500 1283012215_thumb.jpgpost-8801-021348100 1283012211_thumb.jpg

post-8801-038014900 1283012208_thumb.jpgpost-8801-019887500 1283012206_thumb.jpg

Edited by redfrog1971

Looked through the aging diagram.

It makes lots off differing noises.

With all the buttons seem to work.

The outer skin looks in very good condition.

in original box.

I will be getting some better pictures.

And am keenly interested in selling this item.

No History off it. My nan passed it to me from a friend.

That,s about as much as i know.

Take a look at snaps.

Any questions please ask.

Forum owner i have read and will donate.

A nice concertina of an "English" type in Lachenal's higher quality range .... perhaps an Exclesior model

(Someone here will know for sure)

I think that the date is later than you quote, perhaps around 1900 or a bit later (serial numbers can be easy to mistake and the date calculation is very approximate)

Where abouts are you (you can be vague if you like but your potential buyers on this list would like to know at least which continent you are on, since this sort of instrument is best heard and tried before a sale is made)

Chris

From Wes Williams' table (said by Wes to need improvement, but I think still somewhat useful) that would be a reasonable date if it were the anglo type of concertina, but it's the English type. Englishes had a separate run of serial numbers, and there were only about a third as many made, so Wes' table indicates 1882-1883 as a more likely date. I think that is also in better correspondence with the details of its appearance, though other members of this forum know more about that than I do.

Looks nice and appears in good condition. Good luck on the sale.

Any body say whats a good way of cleaning.

how to get in side.

Ta

Scott

I would recommend you don't attempt any cleaning other than gentle rub with a dry duster, and a soft dry paintbrush to get any loose dust out of the bellows folds. It looks pretty clean as it is. You may well detract from its value if you use detergents or other cleaning products, polishes or leather dressings.

To get inside undo the 6 bolts round the end and the end lifts off to reveal the reeds. if you do this make sure you use a good quality screwdriver that is a good fit to the screw heads. It is all too easy for a screwdriver to slip and make a mess of the surrounding wood.

Thanks for the Advice i have taken apart taken some more photos of inside.

The dating is a little easier

inside it wrote

8, Little James Street, Bedford Row

so dating i think is still correct 1869.

will post some more pictures later.

then will be placing on Ebay on Tuesday.

All thanks for looking

Thanks for the Advice i have taken apart taken some more photos of inside.

The dating is a little easier

inside it wrote

8, Little James Street, Bedford Row

so dating i think is still correct 1869.

If that address is on the reedpan label I don't think you can rely on it for dating. There is evidence from other instruments that old stock labels still being used after the move away from Little James Street. The serial number is by far the best guide to age, though still not precise. If listing on ebay I think its better to post the information you know eg, serial number, address etc, and let potential buyers make up their own minds.

Scott,

To reiterate what Theo was saying, there is good evidence that the thrifty workers at Lachenal continued to use the old labels years after their move to the new location. The most reliable way to date the instrument is through the serial #.

Some sellers on ebay give the serial # and a link to one of the dating systems and let the potential buyers deduce the instrument's age.

Usually playing condition and tuning (in relation to A=440) are more important to bidders. This allows them to figure refurbishment costs into their prospective purchase.

Best of auction luck,

Greg

Showing my complete ignorance

Whats " Usually playing condition and tuning (in relation to A=440) "

Ta

Scott

Back when they started making concertinas, things were tuned differently. If it's tuned to an old system, it will take some expensive professional work to retune it.

Playing condition: if the bellows have any leaks in them, it's harder to play & ought to be fixed. If one of the reeds is stuck, or one of the buttons doesn't work, same thing. Or if the valve-flaps over the reeds have become stiff, they'll stop working and you have to replace them. Or if the pads on the key-levers don't seal.

That sort of thing.

Showing my complete ignorance

Whats " Usually playing condition and tuning (in relation to A=440) "

Ta

Scott

Back when they started making concertinas, things were tuned differently. If it's tuned to an old system

...that is to say (in case the complete ignorance of which you speak includes this particular bit of information), if the reeds are not tuned such that A above middle C (I think that's the right one) is 440 MHz (kilocycles per second), which is the current standard...

it will take some expensive professional work to retune it.

jdms

...that is to say (in case the complete ignorance of which you speak includes this particular bit of information), if the reeds are not tuned such that A above middle C (I think that's the right one) is 440 MHz (kilocycles per second), which is the current standard...

Actually, it's just 440 Hz-- 440 cycles per second.

Kilocycles would be kHz, and MHz is megacycles.