Hohner vs Boorinwood

I'm currently in the process of buying a concertina and I gave my mind set in either a hohner or boorinwood box. Both going for around 200euro because they're second hand. I know both there not supposed to be great instruments but please bear in mind that I'm only looking to play in my own time as I already play three other instruments and I won't be playing the concertina full time. So I ask the question- boorinwood or hohner? I just want an instrument that I can trust will keep me entertained bur won't turn me away from playing the concertina :P

So I ask the question- boorinwood or hohner? I just want an instrument that I can trust will keep me entertained bur won't turn me away from playing the concertina :P

If the Hohner is a fairly recent D-40, I'd recommend that you avoid it. Some of the older Hohners (at least some of which are marked "Hohner International") are rebadged Stagis and could be more or less ok. I don't know who makes the Boorinwood, though I've tried to find out. I suspect that they're "cheap Chinese", which I also wouldn't recommend.

Your best bet in that price range would be a used Rochelle if you can find one for the price. A used Bastari/Stagi might also be ok.

If the Hohner is a fairly recent D-40, I'd recommend that you avoid it. Some of the older Hohners (at least some of which are marked "Hohner International") are rebadged Stagis and could be more or less ok. I don't know who makes the Boorinwood, though I've tried to find out. I suspect that they're "cheap Chinese", which I also wouldn't recommend.

Your best bet in that price range would be a used Rochelle if you can find one for the price. A used Bastari/Stagi might also be ok.

Some old threads here on concertina.net suggest that Boorinwoods are made by Stagi.

Just a one off experience - so maybe not indicative of the whole brand - but when I first started I bought a Boorinwood 20 button Anglo and it was truly awful. It's a long time ago & I was new to the Concertina but the instrument wasn't playing the expected notes - the notes on the right hand side were just a mirror image of those on the left hand side. The ebay seller I bought it from was brilliant & accepted that t was faulty but I was accidentally included (by Boorinwood) in some emails between him & somebody at Boorinwood. The Boorinwood guy seemed to be saying that I was an idiot & there was no problem (despite my providing evidence derived from a digital tuner). In the end the eBay guy gave me my money back and I went & bought a cheap Brunner Anglo from Eagle Music & was very happy with it (& strangely it played the notes I was expecting!).

Now obviously this may not be the general experience of Boorinwood. I accept that their guy may have just been having a bad day & sounding off in what he thought was a private discussion with the eBay seller, or maybe he was just trying to save face with his customer, but I'm sure that you'll be unsurprised to learn that I personally wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. YMMV.

If you can afford it the Rochelle is definitely the way to go.

W

The man who owns the boorinwood sent me a sound file of him playing it , personally I think it sounds lovely, but do you's think I may have problems with it in the future?

It really depends on who made it. If, as I suspect, it's a generic Chinese concertina, the quality of materials and construction is not good and they often develop problems that are difficult or impossible to fix. I said often, not always - some of them hold up better than others. If it's a Stagi/Bastari, you're prospects would be better, though the Rochelle is better built than those are.