Help! Cluelessly trying to buy concertina for boyfriend

Rosie_G

Hi guys,

First time user on this forum, hope I've the topic in the right place!

My boyfriend's birthday is fast approaching and I'd planned to get him an anglo concertina. However, I have no idea where to look, or what price range is even considered reasonable. Too much to choose from it seems.

Would really appreciate some advice on what to go for. He has never played before, so whats best for beginners?? Sorry so clueless.

Thanks,

R

Hi guys,

My boyfriend's birthday is fast approaching and I'd planned to get him an anglo concertina. However, I have no idea where to look, or what price range is even considered reasonable. Too much to choose from it seems.

Would really appreciate some advice on what to go for. He has never played before, so whats best for beginners?? Sorry so clueless.

Thanks,

R

$350 plus shipping. Or if you lucky, find used Rochelle. Or if your income is comfortable, any used "real" concertina from Barleycorn would be best bet. Or concertina with accordion reeds from Edgley, Morse, Concertina Connection, Tedrow would be good too. Ask if they have one for sale right now. Used high end would be in $3-5K, middle decent in 1.5-3K, accordion reeded new are in $2K area. If you think concertina is cute little thing for fun, like harmonica or ukulele, Rochelle will give you a price shock. Concertina is complex musical instrument, extremely difficult to master, expensive to tune.

Hi guys,

Thanks,

R

Go for the cheapest new instrument you can find. A two row 20 button will be adequate to establish whether he has the necessary aptitude and enthusiasm to wish to proceed further. That's what I did.

Hi guys,

Thanks,

R

Go for the cheapest new instrument you can find. A two row 20 button will be adequate to establish whether he has the necessary aptitude and enthusiasm to wish to proceed further. That's what I did.

This can work - but it can also mean an instrument that works so badly that you wind up giving up in frustration. If you have the money for a Rochelle, it's by far the cheapest consistently reliable Anglo on the market, and I believe that it would not be hard to resell if he doesn't take to it. It's available from a number of dealers as well as direct from the manufacturer. Several of them (Concertina Connection, Button Box, possibly Homewood/Tedrow) offer trade-up programs if you buy a Rochelle from them and want to upgrade one of their higher-end concertinas later.

Concertina is complex musical instrument, extremely difficult to master, expensive to tune.

All true. But while it is a difficult instrument to master, it's not all that difficult to learn to get a tune out of it, so don't let that put you or your boyfriend off.

Thanks guys and sorry for the delay in replying.

I am living in the UK at the moment. was looking on some websites which are doing special 'beginner packs'. One is a Rochelle which is advertised as £370. They also have a Jackie/Jack 30 key english cncertina for the same price. Another one, which i think was suggested was a '2 row 20 button' concertina. Is this the same? - 'Hohner 20 Key Anglo Concertina'. its on a limied offer of £199.

I don't want money to mean i can't get a decent one, but I don't have that much of a budget to work with unfortuately. Do these prices sound reasonable???

Thanks,

R

I am living in the UK at the moment. was looking on some websites which are doing special 'beginner packs'. One is a Rochelle which is advertised as £370. They also have a Jackie/Jack 30 key english cncertina for the same price. Another one, which i think was suggested was a '2 row 20 button' concertina. Is this the same? - 'Hohner 20 Key Anglo Concertina'. its on a limied offer of £199.

I don't want money to mean i can't get a decent one, but I don't have that much of a budget to work with unfortuately. Do these prices sound reasonable???

These prices seem to reflect the market quite well. None seem extortionate, and none are a smoking deal.

I have to note that I would have expected similar figures if the prices were quoted in American dollars. Are cheap concertinas cheaper in the US, then?

Edited by Ransom

Hi Rosie_G

In your first post, you asked about an "Anglo" concertina. The Jack/Jackie are NOT Anglos. A difference is that an Anglo has different notes on the push and pull. The English has the same note on the push and pull. They are different, so don't judge in haste.

I live in the US, but, in the UK read this quote about the Rochelle from one of their dealers:

Unlike other student level instruments, the Rochelle anglo concertina is, in our opinion, the very best student 30 key anglo concertina that it is possible to buy today. Why? – because it's well made, sounds terrific and plays smoothly. We have been selling concertinas for 20 years and we chose the Rochelle over other 30 key student anglo concertinas as the one that gives value for money and playability.

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/3357

At one time, the cheap concertinas were the only low price instruments available. The Rochelle, Jack/Jackie, and the Elise have become available and have set the standard for recommended "beginner instruments". They really are a good value for the money. If your friend doesn't takes to liking a concertina, chances are that the resale of the Rochelle will be able to recover most of the purchase price. They hold their value pretty good. Not so with the Hohner and others. See this recent active ad:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11630

If he takes to and likes a concertina, depending on where it's purchased, some of the makers allow full purchase price on an upgrade to a new custom instrument. If he had a Hohner or other, it might make a nice door stop. Sometimes purchase price isn't everything. Look a little longer term.

Thanks

Leo

I am living in the UK at the moment. was looking on some websites which are doing special 'beginner packs'. One is a Rochelle which is advertised as £370.

These prices seem to reflect the market quite well. None seem extortionate, and none are a smoking deal.

I have to note that I would have expected similar figures if the prices were quoted in American dollars. Are cheap concertinas cheaper in the US, then?

Wow, a Rochelle goes for 370 pounds? It goes for $350 on this side of the Atlantic.

NNY

Wow, a Rochelle goes for 370 pounds? It goes for $350 on this side of the Atlantic.

Yeah, see? That's what I'm saying. I'm surprised to say it, but I'm having trouble finding a cheaper one denominated in pounds.

Yeah, see? That's what I'm saying. I'm surprised to say it, but I'm having trouble finding a cheaper one denominated in pounds.

Are we really communicating clearly? What I can buy for $350 here costs almost $600 in the UK?

Wow.

For our OP, I started on a Rocelle and moved right away into a Tedrow. The Rochelle sounded pretty good, but was very stiff (and kind of butt ugly). But it was perfect in layout for learning the Anglo.

You know, maybe it was dumb of me to say anything. My initial assessment could be off-base, and all I've got on the UK is Internet-- really I should just have just waited for somebody with "eyes on the ground" as it were.

Best of luck, R.G. Hope you get a good one. =)

Rosie, the Button Box (run by Cnet member Theo) is the cheapest place I know of in the UK to get hold of Rochelle and Jackies, currently offering them at 295 UKP. That includes the soft case and the tutor written by Wim Wakker.

Rochelles and Jackies are both concertinas, but they are very different instruments - the English fingering system (a Jackie is an English) is completely different to that of the anglo system (a Rochelle is an anglo). Jacks are also English system but baritone, e.g. they sound an octave lower than the treble: most English players start playing on a treble (e.g. a Jackie) and then start lusting after a baritone a few years later :)

Personally, I'd strongly advise you to get your boyfriend involved in the research and purchasing decision now. Rochelles and Jackies make excellent beginners instruments - but it seems to me that you don't know which of those you need to buy, so it's time to reveal your plans and get the lucky recipient involved.

The initial element of suprise will be lost; but imagine how you'll feel if he unwraps the concertina and ..

it's the wrong one ....

Rosie, the Button Box (run by Cnet member Theo) is the cheapest place I know of in the UK to get hold of Rochelle and Jackies, currently offering them at 295 UKP. That includes the soft case and the tutor written by Wim Wakker.

Steve - you mean The Box Place in Gateshead, England.

The Button Box is a instrument dealer in Sunderland, Massachusetts.

Steve - you mean The Box Place in Gateshead, England.

The Button Box is a instrument dealer in Sunderland, Massachusetts.

Quite right - and to confuse things yet further, the link does indeed still point to Theo's Box Place.

Mea culpa, sack the scapegoats, etc.