C/G 30 Key Anglo Wanted

P.con

Hi there,

I'm looking for a 30 key anglo concertina, as i'm only a begginer i would like to only spend around 600 euro, but still try get a decent concertina. If anyone can help me out or advise me that would be great! thanks!

Hello,

In a few words I can tell you about my short experience..I first bought a Stagi W-15 Ln, around 500 euros 5 years ago, and sold it 300 euros 3 years ago. I did just buy a 26-keys lachenal rosewood from Barleycorn, wich was much more expensive(895 pounds), but I was really happy to dicover it: Lachenal are really good concertinas, with a warm sound and a strong personality in tone. As a beginer, I think that you will not need the 4 more buttons, in fact you can play almost anything with the 26 keys, you will only have limitations for a few chords, but the joy to have "real" concertina, smaller than stagis, with a far better sound is in my opinion a better choice. It is much more motivating to play on such instruments.

Mine will be for sale, as I will go to Germany next month to collect my brand new Suttner, ordered 4 years ago...I played it a lot, but it is still very nice, not far from the condition I bought it. The bellows are still doing their job, but they did suffer a little, so for that reason it will be an interesting bargain.........I'm in France, north of France...

Vincent Brusel.

Thanks so much for the information , but because I'm joining an Irish music group they told me to get a 30 key one because that's what they teach or something, how was the stagi to play?

I had the chance to have a few workshops with different teachers, Michael O' Raghallaigh, Ernestine Healy and Michelle O'Sullivan, and it was only with Michael that I got the stagi, for the others I had the Lachenal: I could do anything with the Lachenal, because if you have a look at the layout you will see that you will have all that you need with 26 keys. You will only miss the A low out and the G low in, and a three other buttons like that, but these notes are available somewhere else among the 26 keys..it is already a deep mine to explore.. If you have a look somewhere to the layout you will understand what I say.

But to answer to you question, the stagi was nice to begin, because you don't have to play fast at first, and in fact you'll never need to play faster!!! I just found it too big for a concertina, I would just say that the air button is too far from the thumb, although I don't have especially small hands, and it can be a problem, as it is an important key. But once again, the most important thing that decide me to upgrade was the sound..it is not a 'real' concertina, even if it has to be played and hold like one

oh okay i live not too far from michael i might get in touch with him. oh ok i understand i agree with you ther because ive seen a few concertinas through the years that just look way to big and bulky, i want something kinda smaller and more like a "real" concertina. if you know what i mean