Ralph Jordan-Eloise New CD

Ralph Jordan

Does "my 10 second pub" refer to how long you are allowed in it, or the time taken to quaff each pint ?

I thought he might have meant his
tenth
"second [or 'alternate'] pub".
;)

There are a number of languages in which the word for "second" is the same as that for "other".

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does "my 10 second pub" refer to how long you are allowed in it, or the time taken to quaff each pint ?

Maybe how long it takes to get there from his front door?

jdms

Oh! Yes! I suppose that is it.

How dreadfully dangerous, I am glad we don't have one of those in our village, mind you, being in France there is any amount of wine in the cellar here.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Maybe how long it takes to get there from his front door?

jdms

Oh! Yes! I suppose that is it.

How dreadfully dangerous, I am glad we don't have one of those in our village, mind you, being in France there is any amount of wine in the cellar here.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Actually Geoff. It's a Ten second pub....That's as long as it takes me to get there.

Once after a recording session I told the guys to pop round and get the beers in. I followed 20 minute later, in my dressing gown and carpet slippers! Nobody batted an eyelid! How local can you get? Really looking forward to introducing you to the Nascot!

Edited by Ralph Jordan

Once after a recording session I told the guys to pop round and get the beers in. I followed 20 minute later, in my dressing gown and carpet slippers! Nobody batted an eyelid!

Ralphie, you just made me spit my drink over the keyboard in laughter. :o

Once after a recording session I told the guys to pop round and get the beers in. I followed 20 minute later, in my dressing gown and carpet slippers! Nobody batted an eyelid!

You think he's joking?

You think he's joking?

One can be serious and funny at the same time...

Once after a recording session I told the guys to pop round and get the beers in. I followed 20 minute later, in my dressing gown and carpet slippers! Nobody batted an eyelid! How local can you get?

Mind you, try doing that at your local Tescos emporium, and they would show you the door - they've got fed up with people turning up in their night attire, apparently :rolleyes:

Actually Geoff. It's a Ten second pub....That's as long as it takes me to get there.

Once after a recording session I told the guys to pop round and get the beers in. I followed 20 minute later, in my dressing gown and carpet slippers! Nobody batted an eyelid! How local can you get? Really looking forward to introducing you to the Nascot!

Well then Ralphie, if the publican is not very decerning regarding his/her customers, I do hope more care is taken of the Beer. Really, I don't mind drinking with people in carpet slippers and pygamas ( preferable to doing same with the pinstriped suit and bowler hat brigade)but it is all about quality,both companionship and Beer quality.

On another, more pertinent, topic; listening to this CD has made me consider taking up a Duet. Thoughts like "well if he can do it, then so could anyone". This is also meant as a compliment, in that when something looks ,or sounds, easy it usually shows that it has been done by an expert.

After 40 years on the EC should I take the plunge? The Hayden looks like an easier one..... but this reminds me of the Tourist in the wets (west, sorry) of Ireland who had asked directions from a local, the answer.... "Well.... I would not start from here!"

Save a pint for me,

Geoff.

Hi Geoff.

Firstly thanks for the compliment!

I don't think that migrating from English to Duet would be that difficult. If all you'd ever played was an Anglo, that might be harder.

But a Hayden? Don't get me wrong, but....First find your Hayden. Rare as Hens teeth. I visited Steve Dickinson last week, and he was saying that he's basically not taking any more orders. He's 60 in January, and he's got a five year waiting list for tinas! And I don't think there are any Haydens on his order books. Can't speak for Colin Dipper, but he is of an age too!

I'd suggest the MacCann. Mainly 'cos I play one! but, also, they are more readily available. One tip though...No less than 56 key, going down to middle C on the right hand side (with an octave crossover) That has served me well over 35 years. 65 Key is OK. Anything bigger and it starts getting silly! I had a chance to play Neil Waynes Huge bastard up in Sheffield a month ago. Looked impressive, but was almost unplayable!

I'm really looking forward to you coming over next year. Don't forget to bring a box/pipes whatever. It would be great to record some tunes together. (And there is always the pub. They've just started doing really good Thai food!)

Apropos of nothing, I occasionally bump into Graham (Shelver), he's mainly playing fiddle nowadays, Lives down in Kent.

Until the next communication.

Yo Dude! Ralphie

Hi Geoff.

I don't think that migrating from English to Duet would be that difficult. If all you'd ever played was an Anglo, that might be harder.

But a Hayden? Don't get me wrong, but....First find your Hayden. Rare as Hens teeth. I visited Steve Dickinson last week, and he was saying that he's basically not taking any more orders. He's 60 in January, and he's got a five year waiting list for tinas! And I don't think there are any Haydens on his order books. Can't speak for Colin Dipper, but he is of an age too!

I'd suggest the MacCann. Mainly 'cos I play one! but, also, they are more readily available. One tip though...No less than 56 key, going down to middle C on the right hand side (with an octave crossover) That has served me well over 35 years. 65 Key is OK. Anything bigger and it starts getting silly! I had a chance to play Neil Waynes Huge bastard up in Sheffield a month ago. Looked impressive, but was almost unplayable!

I'm really looking forward to you coming over next year. Don't forget to bring a box/pipes whatever. It would be great to record some tunes together. (And there is always the pub. They've just started doing really good Thai food!)

Apropos of nothing, I occasionally bump into Graham (Shelver), he's mainly playing fiddle nowadays, Lives down in Kent.

Until the next communication.

Yo Dude! Ralphie

Hmmm, Ralphie,

you are perfectly correct regarding the Hayden... it is the availability problem. I am used to long waiting lists though... my own is far longer that Steve's or Colin's and I should be "closing" my book too as I am also 60. I agree also that any Duet would need, enough buttons and a good cross over, but large concertinas are for Mr; Muscle (mussel).

Just had a whole weekend of playing concertina and very enjoyable it was, though by yesterday afternoon I had to resort to my 48key because the 56k (Baritone-Treble) is too heavy for playing standing up. But I love the range of the bigger EC, four octaves from G an octave below fiddle.

Regarding McCanns , have you ever tried a modern made one ? I ask because I have not tried a modern made EC and thus far the only quality of concertina that I consider worth playing is a Wheatstone from the "best" period, and then I have to "breath" on it. But maybe the Anglo and Duet players don't have the same problem. It is mainly in the keyboard... because on the English, well I, will hit the keys some times at an angle greater than 45° and then I do not get a decent response on an inferior instrument.

I will have to get to one of these " Leather Ferret" weekends and see if I can get a "go" on an instrument from these new makers.... been living in a vacuum (concertina wise) for a long time.

It is great to come out of hybinations and see so much activity.

Well, I do hope your CD is selling really well because it deserves to be heard and I will visit you, when I have got this years work done, which could be next March at this rate.

Salut (and back to the grindstone),

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hi Geoff.

Wim Wakker offers Hayden Duets (46, 65 keys) with traditional concertinareeds: http://www.wakker-concertinas.com/

Waiting list: 2-3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Wim Wakker offers Hayden Duets (46, 65 keys) with traditional concertinareeds: http://www.wakker-concertinas.com/

Waiting list: 2-3 years.

Ah, yes that is true. They look nice too. I would love to try one of Mr.Wakker's instruments, at least in an EC form. I see that the Wakker concertinas are, naturally, quite expensive in comparison with current prices asked for "classic" Wheatstones, well, in the EC and Duet market.

Geoff.

Just a quick note to say that I shall be going to Lewes Folk Festival next Sunday (10th October) and shall have a handful of Ralphie's "Eloise" CDs with me for sale at the cash in hand (no postage) price of £12.

If you haven't yet secured a copy and are going to be there, now's your chance. Having now played my own copy quite a few times, I'd agree with others that it's eminently listenable to and "something to be proud of" (direct quote). Ralphie has indicated that once this pressing has gone he doesn't intend to have any further copies made ... so in true barrow boy (girl?) tradition ... "Once it's gone, it's gone" ... or "Stop me and buy one" . (You should be able to find me at the tunes and song sessions in the afternoon in the Royal Oak.).

Edited by Irene S

• 9 months later...

It's that time of year again ... and I thought I'd post something, as I suspect it wouldn't occur to Ralphie! Just to say that he still has copies of "Eloise" available, and I gather will be carrying some with him at Sidmouth .... as will I . So if you haven't already purchased a copy, and would like to (and I can heartily recommend it - others far less biassed than I have endorsed it!) you can probably stop Ralphie (or me, if you are likely to be in the Volunteer at any point during the week) and buy one.

I shall also take a few with me to Whitby Folk Week at the end of August ..... so as all the best ice cream salespersons say ... "Stop me ... or him .... and buy one!" :rolleyes: