Ralph Jordan-Eloise New CD

Ralph Jordan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cheque is in the post.

All good stuff, but my favourite track at the moment is Vals Voor Polle, though that could easily change with each playing.

Does anyone know where I can get the dots or the ABC?

What were the Belgian audience doing during Springtime in Battersea? Sounds like they were having a good time.

regards

John

Edited by John Wild

It was on the mat today when we got back from Whiby, lovely stuff

Told you it would be Mike!!

What were the Belgian audience doing during Springtime in Battersea? Sounds like they were having a good time.

I hope Ralph comes back and fills in the detail on that, as his sleeve notes only hint at what happened ... LOL. The tune was well known to them, but not as "Springtime in Battersea" ....

Actually, I just popped in to say that if anyone is going to the EATMT day in Stowmarket this forthcoming weekend, I shall (hopefully, unless anything goes wrong), have some copies of Ralph's CD with me for sale ... at the bargain price of £12 (ie you save on postage and packing). It already comes well recommended ... one C.net member bought a copy from me at the beginning of Whitby week, and pronounced that he had played it and it was "lovely" when I bumped into him on the Friday of the week. His friend, who was with him, confirmed that he had heard it, and felt the same, asked if I had another copy for sale, and promptly purchased the last copy I had available at that point. Can't be bad ?? B)

As before ... .Stop me and buy one!

.... or alternatively, I may stop you and sell you one .... and I don't usually take no for an answer!!! (Only joking)

Edited by Irene S

......Vals Voor Polle.......

In the collection of C.net member Michelv: http://www.tangosite.../pub/wals-polle

Dots in the PDF file under "downloads".

Including information about the origin of the tune.

Polle is Flemish for Paul.

Many thanks for that. I will get practising it over the coming week.

- John

All good stuff, but my favourite track at the moment is Vals Voor Polle, though that could easily change with each playing.

regards

John

Hi John.

To explain the Battersea bit, unbeknownst to me. It's actually a very well known (and slightly hackneyed!) German waltz, which Belgium football fans use to taunt German fans when they meet at a match. Rude lyrics were hinted at, but never divulged! Hence the hilarity, which at the time I found most perplexing!

Oh, and as for the Hop Festival. Mike Wheeler is in charge of selling them there. So avoid him at all costs!!!

regards

John

Hi John.

To explain the Battersea bit, unbeknownst to me. It's actually a very well known (and slightly hackneyed!) German waltz, which Belgium football fans use to taunt German fans when they meet at a match. Rude lyrics were hinted at, but never divulged! Hence the hilarity, which at the time I found most perplexing!

Oh, and as for the Hop Festival. Mike Wheeler is in charge of selling them there. So avoid him at all costs!!!

I will not need to buy one from Mike since I already have my copy!:)

I still want to believe that Springtime in Battersea was a Tommy Williams original, adopted by the Germans!!. The sleeve notes of his record say it is one of his compositions.

regards

John

regards

John

Hi John.

I will not need to buy one from Mike since I already have my copy!:)

I still want to believe that Springtime in Battersea was a Tommy Williams original, adopted by the Germans!!. The sleeve notes of his record say it is one of his compositions.

regards

John

I'd like to believe it too..but I think Schneevals predates Tommy, apart from the C Music. The audience went quiet at that bit, so, indeed that could be Tommys contribution? We'll never know for sure.

I'd like to believe it too..but I think Schneevals predates Tommy, apart from the C Music. The audience went quiet at that bit, so, indeed that could be Tommys contribution? We'll never know for sure.

Just to confirm ... "Schneewalzer" which forms the bulk of "Springtime in Battersea" is a popular song,in the first instance rather than just a tune, composed by Thomas Koschat (an Austrian) . Koschat was a well known and highly respected classical composer (highly thought of by Wagner, apparently), and the song can be found in many, many guises if you go hunting for it on Youtube (cowbells, hairy chested blokes in lederhosen rapping to it... you name it, it's there). It has been a favourite (?) amongst the brass band fraternity for a long time .... and since Mr Koschat died in 1914, I think it is safe to assume that the tune was his and not the other way around. (I think this was all discussed on another thread on here previously).

He was also responsible for a setting of "The Lord is My Shepherd" to a tune known either as Poland or Koschat .... and well known for various folk tunes. More information on him, and a photo can be found here http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/k/o/koschat_t.htm

Taking nerdy hat off, and getting coat for departure now ....:rolleyes:

Edited by Irene S

Just to confirm ... "Schneewalzer" which forms the bulk of "Springtime in Battersea" is a popular song,in the first instance rather than just a tune, composed by Thomas Koschat (an Austrian) . Koschat was a well known and highly respected classical composer (highly thought of by Wagner, apparently), and the song can be found in many, many guises if you go hunting for it on Youtube (cowbells, hairy chested blokes in lederhosen rapping to it... you name it, it's there). It has been a favourite (?) amongst the brass band fraternity for a long time .... and since Mr Koschat died in 1914, I think it is safe to assume that the tune was his and not the other way around. (I think this was all discussed on another thread on here previously).

He was also responsible for a setting of "The Lord is My Shepherd" to a tune known either as Poland or Koschat .... and well known for various folk tunes. More information on him, and a photo can be found here http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/k/o/koschat_t.htm

Taking nerdy hat off, and getting coat for departure now ....:rolleyes:

Blimey! Too much information Irene Thanks!

Blimey! Too much information Irene Thanks!

One can never have too much information!

As a sideline, sadly, I've been taken unwell, and confined to barracks, so shall not be able to get to Stowmarket. However, if you had thought of purchasing one of Mr Jordan's little gems from me there, rest assured that copies will be available, as I understand it, on the CD stall ... so go visit and buy one ;)

One of my clients, who lives close to Masstricht, plays regularly with Wim Poesen (composer of Wals voor Polle) and it was from him that we learned this nice tune. He told us that Polle (Polle Ranson) is an avid collector of all recorded versions of "his tune". I wonder if he has purchased his copy of Eloise yet?

Incidentaly Polle plays the Bechonnet Musette and if you are not sure what one of those is then you can see him on Youtube where there are a couple of videos of him in different combos playing this same tune.

I have been listening all week to Eloise and have been well entertained and happy.

So...great job Ralphie !!

Geoff.

Incidentaly Polle plays the Bechonnet Musette and if you are not sure what one of those is then you can see him on Youtube where there are a couple of videos of him in different combos playing this same tune.

Geoff.

Thanks for the tip Geoff ... and just to prove it.

One of my clients, who lives close to Masstricht, plays regularly with Wim Poesen (composer of Wals voor Polle) and it was from him that we learned this nice tune. He told us that Polle (Polle Ranson) is an avid collector of all recorded versions of "his tune". I wonder if he has purchased his copy of Eloise yet?

I have been listening all week to Eloise and have been well entertained and happy.

So...great job Ralphie !!

Geoff.

Geoff.

I'm blushing!

And, It's all your fault, you bastard!

If you hadn't twisted my arm all those years ago. I wouldn't have been in the sorry mess I find myself in now!

I blame you entirely.....

Seriously. It would be lovel to see you again. It's been too many years, and we are not getting any younger.

Hence ELOISE......I just wanted to make a statement, that's all.

So, get your arse over here and buy me a beer in the Nascot Arms (My 10 second pub!)

Kind regards Ralphie

Geoff.

I'm blushing!

And, It's all your fault, you bastard!

If you hadn't twisted my arm all those years ago. I wouldn't have been in the sorry mess I find myself in now!

I blame you entirely.....

Seriously. It would be lovel to see you again. It's been too many years, and we are not getting any younger.

Hence ELOISE......I just wanted to make a statement, that's all.

So, get your arse over here and buy me a beer in the Nascot Arms (My 10 second pub!)

Kind regards Ralphie

And what a statement it is Ralphie!

Does "my 10 second pub" refer to how long you are allowed in it, or the time taken to quaff each pint ?

Untill the drinking session.....

keep well,

Geoff.