Source for replacement gasket material?

I have a seven year old Edgley C/G and over the past few years it's been becoming more and more leaky. It's bordering on unplayable now - indeed, a classmate of mine at a recent concertina workshop couldn't play it due to the leaks. I've just opened up the ends to check everything out and everything seems to be in place; no loose pads or cracks visible, but the gasket material is extremely stiff and I suspect that that is where the problem lies.

What sort of material should I look for to replace this with? I have read that chamois leather works but I don't know what thickness to use, and I'd like to get black if possible. What kind of glue should I use with it and what's the best way to remove the old leather?

I have a seven year old Edgley C/G and over the past few years it's been becoming more and more leaky. It's bordering on unplayable now - indeed, a classmate of mine at a recent concertina workshop couldn't play it due to the leaks. I've just opened up the ends to check everything out and everything seems to be in place; no loose pads or cracks visible, but the gasket material is extremely stiff and I suspect that that is where the problem lies.

What sort of material should I look for to replace this with? I have read that chamois leather works but I don't know what thickness to use, and I'd like to get black if possible. What kind of glue should I use with it and what's the best way to remove the old leather?

I suggest you contact Frank Edgley, who is a member of Concertina.net.

He made the instrument, and he is very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion. But if I wanted to do it myself, are there any sources for suitable material?

I still think you should ask Frank. He should know best what "suitable material" would be. And though he's located in Canada, that's still on the same continent as Eugene, so he might also be able to suggest sources that are accessible to you.

And if it were my instrument, I would even ask his opinion of my diagnosis.

The diagnosis seems a little hasty. If the concertina is leaking to the point of being unplayable then you should be able to hear and feel air streaming from it. Following this to the leak would lead to a better plan than a general one of replacing chamois that seems stiff. Could it be warped somewhere, have you applied a straightedge to its surfaces? Contacting Frank for diagnosis assistance would seem a good idea.

Chris

Absolutely, give me a call. I can supply gasket material to you at no charge, or you can ship it to me and I will do it for a nominal fee. Have you checked to see whether the end bolts are loose? Call me at 519-948-9149 between 8:00 and 9:00 AM, most days.

Thanks Frank. You're on the east coast, right? I'm on the West...

Frank is more like on the "middle coast".

Windsor, Ontario is across the river from Detroit, Michigan, and appears to have "coastline" on little Lake St. Clair, which lies between Lake Huron and Lake Erie.

I would be very happy to assist. Please call me at 519-991-3100 or 519-948-9149. I will call you right back so you won't have a big phone bill. Since you are on the West coast an 8 or 9 AM call may be difficult for you, so call me at the first number any time or on the weekend. There is a three hour difference since I am on Eastern Time.

Edited by Frank Edgley