wanted; metal ended wheatstone english

Geoff Wooff

I am looking for a metal ended wheatstone treble EC. My first preference is for an instrument in the 22000-23000's (serial numbers) which would have raised metal ends and a 'flat' reed pan. By 'flat' I refer to a reed pan with very low divider walls between the reed chambers and virtually no difference in this height from the lowest to highest notes. This makes for a very fast instrument with a strong( if not the prettiest) tone.

This type can be recognised easily ,from the playing position, by having shallow end depth, ie. the width of the bellows frame (wooden hoop under the leather) is quite short. Also the fretting on the end plates does not (usually) go all the way around, leaving the lower section (under the hands) un- fretted. Another recognisable feature (in an unrestored original instrument) is that the cardboard of the pads will be red ( pink ) in colour.

Failing finding one of these I would be interested in a type '22' or similar.

Any condition considered.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hi, Geoff. Long time no talk (close on 30 years?).

Sounds like you're looking for one like the late June Nicholls used to play in Brisbane, with fretting in the shape of a bell. Certainly one of the fastest and loudest Wheatstones I've ever played. Don sold it a while after June's passing; not sure where it is now.

Good luck with your quest....

MC

Hi, Geoff. Long time no talk (close on 30 years?).

Sounds like you're looking for one like the late June Nicholls used to play in Brisbane, with fretting in the shape of a bell. Certainly one of the fastest and loudest Wheatstones I've ever played. Don sold it a while after June's passing; not sure where it is now.

Good luck with your quest....

MC

Hello Malcolm,

nice to hear from you (or should that be see from you ?). I hope you are keeping well?

Yes you have hit the nail on the head exactly. June's little Wheatstone was No. 22279 ( or something like that, I don't recall exactly) but boy did it play. I remember another belonging to Richard Doctors, exactly the same, he called it RUBY, which I thought very appropriate.I felt that both of these instruments were the most ideal for playing jigs,reels and hornpipes.

No one has offered me one yet,so I am still looking....

Best regards,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hello Geoff,

I'm happy to read from you here (I'm Vincent, we meet in Tocane almost every year, I'm the father of Sam, Jean and Rosalie, the kids playing with Bijou, we've had nice moments in July with Richard and Gaby... you see?)....it is not the right place to write to you, so I just wanted to tell you that I can't do anything for you about english concertinas...At least it is one less track to explore for you!!!

Bye, see you and Gaby next year,

Vincent..

Hello Geoff,

I'm happy to read from you here (I'm Vincent, we meet in Tocane almost every year, I'm the father of Sam, Jean and Rosalie, the kids playing with Bijou, we've had nice moments in July with Richard and Gaby... you see?)....it is not the right place to write to you, so I just wanted to tell you that I can't do anything for you about english concertinas...At least it is one less track to explore for you!!!

Bye, see you and Gaby next year,

Vincent..

Bonjour Vincent and all your family!

So very nice to see that you are here on this very good website. I am sorry too that you do not have 'the' english concertina for me but your words of support are welcome too.

Thankyou so much for the CD , but we have not yet had a chance to listen to it, summer is a busy time !

Bijou enjoyed her holiday in Tocane and sends a special tail wag to Sam, Jean and Rosalie.

Untill Tocane 2011,

Salut,

Geoff et Gabi.