English Concertina Music

Jay and I got together this evening ....

I'm glad to 'hear' that. 'Mission Initiated!' ;)

Hopefully I'll join you all sometime, but, for now at least, I will MAYBE make it to Portsmouth on this Saturday...even if to only listen and not join-in playing (I don't know any sea shanties yet). I do hope to meet some more of you C-netters sometime.

I am such a 'homebody,' really, that if I didn't have to go out and buy our groceries (except for cilantro, now -- I grow that), it's likely the world would never see me.

This reticence is partly an 'acquired preference' -- it became too difficult/expensive to get around from 'here' to 'there' years ago, and so I eventually just started adjusting my life to live accordingly. (Now, I have more transportation and 'freedom,' but...)

As well (not that I'm making lame excuses just because I need more private practice time on my EC :blink: ), I get random headaches and symptoms that make it appealing to sing and play only when I'm able to, and that may be at 2 a.m. (unlikely) but may not always be when I'd most like to -- i.e., at a scheduled get-together or jam session.

These factors have made me appreciate the communicating I can do online, and also, more recently -- art shows!

I have two pieces ('crochet art') submitted to an art show/sale that will take place on Friday. This is the first art show I'm doing, though one of the pieces did win a first prize (under the 'crochet' category) at the Bolton Fair (a big deal!), one year.

Art shows are great for me, since, unlike in musical performance, one doesn't have to actually BE there...just your creation must be at the show! That's kind of fun.

(I do have a doctor appt set up, re the headache stuff. Of course, it's all probably just part of 'old age,' but...well, gee, they do let old folks go to the doctor, I guess. Anyway, as it is, my 'good' moments must presently be reserved for getting the laundry, cooking, weeding, pet-feeding, and all the other stuff around here done.)

Hmm...I'm off-topic? What a shocker...heheh....well, anyway, I said before that I was working on a song from the 'Pathways of Song' book, and today I added to my 'website' a short, one-verse sound file, and a lyrics & comments file, for 'Below In The Valley' (Brahms). So there. That's on-topic. :P

Edited by bellowbelle

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can be the Leo-West et al. chapter of the ICA, perhaps?

I am all for it - perhaps a New England Chapter is in order!

Thanks again for hosting - I'm still hoping to get a few of us together this summer - very low pressure playing for fun. Now to find more easy arrangements.

Helen Posted on Jun 16 2004, 05:03 PM

And Jay, why no PA amidst the scattered instruments?

Helen 

I am definately not ready for prime time yet! But I'm working on it - almost ready to try using the contra basses. Maybe by the Squeeze In in August I'll be ready to bring my PA along...

Jay

Hopefully I'll join you all sometime, but, for now at least, I will MAYBE make it to Portsmouth on this Saturday...even if to only listen and not join-in playing (I don't know any sea shanties yet). I do hope to meet some more of you C-netters sometime.

:( Change of plans for me, re Portsmouth...shall maybe be around for one of the Fridays, like maybe the next one (25th).

Must move sculptures tomorrow, and, won't have car I needed...

anyway, whatever, just saying this so anyone else going won't have to wonder if one of the new faces in the crowd is me.

Later. :)

Hi All,

I find a 72 -100 dpi scan is generally fine for on-screen display of photographs. (My other hobby). If using JPEG format you can compress the image up to 32 times without significant loss in image quality. A 7" x 5 " photo will generally compress to 50-80 Kb doing this. Higher resolution is only needed for showing detailed pictures (like the insides of a concertina magnified).

Hope this helps,

Charles

Jay and I got together this evening ....

I'm glad to 'hear' that. 'Mission Initiated!' ;)

Hopefully I'll join you all sometime....

(I do have a doctor appt set up, re the headache stuff....

Well, today things look much more promising, re concertina get-togethers, for me.

I did go to the doc, and got a prescription for migraine headaches.

I'd had no idea that these 'migraines' or whatever are a package deal, it seems. Now that I'm taking the Fioricet-type stuff, other related problems have cleared up. Vision, hearing, TMJ stuff, sense of balance, and the breathing. It's truly amazing. I have a new head.

Of course, we are assuming so far that there's no real 'serious' problem (..serious enough, to me, if I can't seem to play my concertina!).

So, just thought I'd mention my newly installed head, since I may have seemed a bit off-putting re get-togethers.

Now, I must get practicing.

And, YAY, I CAN have caffeine!!!!! :P

And, YAY, I CAN have caffeine!!!!!    :P

Ugh - going off caffeine was ALMOST as bad as giving up nicotine - I had terrible headaches, but only for a week or so. Eventually, I ended back with caffeine (there are just so many GOOD coffees available now), but I've never gone back to nicotine :D It's been 8 years!

I've found another person locally who plays the English - oddly enough, my daughter's boyfriend's mom! She is quite good, plays very well by ear (something I need to work on). We may end up with a New England Concertina Band yet.

Jay

I've found another person locally who plays the English - oddly enough, my daughter's boyfriend's mom! She is quite good, plays very well by ear (something I need to work on). We may end up with a New England Concertina Band yet.

Jay

Recently, my daughter told me that the mother of the girl she plans to room with next at school is an accordion player who also crochets (like me). I said, 'You're joking!' But, we've met, and it's at least true that she plays the accordion...never got onto the subject of crochet.

I guess she is considering getting a concertina, now. So....who knows! :blink:

...and so it goes, spreading the interest of concertinas throughout the world.

Or at least to children's friends and relatives.

I wanna hear the New England Concertina band.

Helen

Recently, my daughter told me that the mother of the girl she plans to room with next at school is an accordion player who also crochets (like me). 

Maybe she will learn to quaver as well as crochet. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe she will learn to quaver as well as crochet. :P

That's right...there's 'crochet' as the musical term. I only think of it as the fiber-arts thing. (But, that's just due to being the 'dumb American' I may be, I guess!) :blink: :D

As for the fiber-arts realm of 'crochet,' English/British terms differ from American ones, too, at least historically. I tried for the longest time, one day, to work out a pattern I found in an old book I have. The book was published in the USA, but the designer was English. Terms used are the same but mean something different. So, once I 'reconfigured,' I could crochet.