English Concertina Music

I'm working my way through "Dancing with Ma Baby" (which I hear is no longer available?). I hope to eventually work through most of the pieces - it's gonna take awhile. But for varieties sake, what other pieces / books of arrangements are available for the English concertina? And I'm curious - what music are you other English concertina players playing? I'm especially envious of those of you who are able to play with a concertina band - don't think there are any around here. :(

Thanks!

Jay

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can work your way through that book you are probably more skillful than most players of the English who focus on melody lines and traditional music such as Irish sessijon tunes and similar material. My experience is that one can play anything with the English system, but if you want particular complicated classical arrangements for that instrument, go to the website for the Concertina Connection and the Free Reed Center site. Allan Atlas has much in way of the nineteeth century material. If you are satisfied with something simpler, almost all music arranged for the violin works well but for simple harmonies and double-stops, I have found mandolin arrangements which stress harmonies in 6ths and 5ths very useful. But also the treble clef part of piano books which include relatively simple arrangements of classical music such as the New World Symphony provide some nice material for the English with some three-note chords thrown in. Also try the scores of sophisticated musicals such as Phantom of the Opera and Cats. These are really nice arrangements that work well on the English.

I play anglo, but I can tell you that with every newsletter from the International Concertina Association you get a booklet full of tunes and arrangements for all systems. Worth joining for that alone, I think. They also have a very large library of arrangements of all sorts of music available to members. Their site is here.

Chris

I see no reason to limit yourself to music specifically arranged for English concertina. As jggunn mentioned, almost anything that you can play on a fiddle you can also play on the EC. I'm new to the instrument myself, so I've been working on some waltzes and some tunes from Peter Barnes' book of English Country Dance music (open band is next Wednesday). I also have a copy of the Fiddler's Fake Book and would like to dive into that. The options are almost limitless. The only problems are time and skill!

:)

Steven

I'm especially envious of those of you who are able to play with a concertina band - don't think there are any around here. :(

Well, could we start one? I'm a true beginner on EC but willing (I'm in Leominster, Mass.) and our friend Ms. Bellowbelle (Wendy) is nearby in Lancaster, Mass. What do you think?

There's a concertina band each year at the Northeast Squeeze-In. Have you been to that?

I've been working on Dancing With Ma Baby too. I've also been working more on Irish trad.

What ever happened with the Brandon Falkner book of arrangements that recently was sold on ebay? I think Jim said he knows who bought it.

bruce boysen

What ever happened with the Brandon Falkner book of arrangements that recently was sold on ebay? I think Jim said he knows who bought it.

I do. But since they are also a Concertina.net member, I think it's up to them whether they want ot come forward.

I also know who sold it, but I don't yet know what the possibility is of obtaining more copies.

There might also be other sources, but at the moment I have nothing to report on that score (yes, I know it's a pun), either.

And I'm curious - what music are you other English concertina players playing?

As for music arranged specifically for the EC, the one and only book that I've played from a bit is 'English Concertina Melodist,' Book 2, Containing A Variety Of Popular Operatic and Favorite Melodies, Arranged by Eugene Riviere. I bought this (a repro of an old book) at The Button Box, but, if they don't have it it may be findable online...maybe from the ICA. Or, check out a search on 'Concertinas At Witney.'

Personally, I do like the arrangements and have learned a lot from playing (a few) of them, but I know that this book is not favored by all.

For some reason, I've moved along very slowly reading any music at all. I think it's because I do prefer to have a song to sing. So, for that reason, I recently bought a book of music arranged for high voice, with piano accompaniment (GOOD accompaniment, not just the stuff that has to be thrown in!):

The Best Of Pathways of Song -- Compiled, Arranged, Translated and Edited by Frank LaForge and Will Earhart.

I am working on 'Below In The Valley' by Brahms (English trans., Will Earhart), a sort of folk-art song, and I can pretty much use the piano arrangement as given with a few of my own adaptations.

Singing the song, too, I am coming along SO much faster than I do if I'm just playing. But, that's my own preference, of course!

I will probably concentrate on this type of stuff. I am not by any means much of a vocal artist, but, when it comes down to 'What material do I want to sing?' -- there just isn't a whole lot out there that I want to bother singing!!!

I do turn on the radio and listen to the pop songs of the day, and whatever stations give me a lift....but, I'd rather work out the more classical-type songs, when it comes to what I sing and play. I'll do them in my own way, of course!

;)

I'm working my way through "Dancing with Ma Baby" (which I hear is no longer available?). 

It's a shame this is no longer available. I looked in on Derek Appeling's book sales at the Chippenham Festival this weekend but he's also out of stock.

Not only a shame for losing the source of the music but it's the only time my picture's been in a music book (hint - it's somewhere in the "where are they now" photograph.)

Howard Mitchell

I'm especially envious of those of you who are able to play with a concertina band - don't think there are any around here. :(

Well, could we start one? I'm a true beginner on EC but willing (I'm in Leominster, Mass.) and our friend Ms. Bellowbelle (Wendy) is nearby in Lancaster, Mass. What do you think?

There's a concertina band each year at the Northeast Squeeze-In. Have you been to that?

:) My first reaction is....I don't know if I have enough 'steam' these days to play in a band!

But...I AM working on that. Working out more on my edge-trainer and holding 5-lb weights in each hand, sometimes, while I do. (Then, sitting in my rocking chair and putting my aching feet up, heheh...)

It'd be fun to try something (for fun)...don't think I could organize something, at least not this year, but I could probably participate in something.

I've never been much of a 'band' type -- band players all seem too much like marathon-runners, to me. But, of course, concertina players would be sympathetic to one another (RIGHT?) and not expect each other to blow out speakers and make audiences yell and scream, etc....

hm, maybe!

Posted on Jun 2 2004, 03:53 PM Well, could we start one? I'm a true beginner on EC but willing (I'm in Leominster, Mass.) and our friend Ms. Bellowbelle (Wendy) is nearby in Lancaster, Mass. What do you think?

I think it is a great idea! Send me a note (bellowbelle, too, and anybody else in the area interested) and maybe we can get something together. Yes, I joined in the concertina band this past fall (my first Squeeze-In). Really looking forward to it this year!

But, of course, concertina players would be sympathetic to one another (RIGHT?) and not expect each other to blow out speakers and make audiences yell and scream, etc....

My "speaker blowing out days" have definately ended! :D I have made audiences yell and scream - my teenage kids do this after the umpteenth renditon of "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts". Don't you just love that isolated G below middle C in the melody (not melody, harmony - I should know that!) line? Anyway, if you and Ken (and others) are interested, maybe we can arrange off line to get together - send me a note.

They also have a very large library of arrangements of all sorts of music available to members.

Chris, thanks, I'll check this out. I wasn't sure how to go about it, but I'll give it a go. Need to send in my dues this year...

edited by Jay to change silly errors.

Edited by Jay Lamsa

..."I've Got a Lovley Bunch of Coconuts".  Don't you just love that isolated G below middle C in the melody line?

Which arrangement is this? The one in Dancing With Ma Baby has a couple of those G's, but they look to me like nice descending harmony lines, not melody.

Posted on Jun 2 2004, 03:53 PM Well, could we start one? I'm a true beginner on EC but willing (I'm in Leominster, Mass.) and our friend Ms. Bellowbelle (Wendy) is nearby in Lancaster, Mass. What do you think?

I think it is a great idea! Send me a note (bellowbelle, too, and anybody else in the area interested) and maybe we can get something together. Yes, I joined in the concertina band this past fall (my first Squeeze-In). Really looking forward to it this year!

Hey, y'all, I'm just over the border in NH- count me in! Whaddya say? My summer vacation is coming up soon (I'm an elementary music teacher) and I could use a creative focus. Like Ken, I'm a beginner on the EC but this would be a good motivator.

Hey Ken,

Does this mean that you are staying in Mass?

Helen

Inquiring minds want to know!

..."I've Got a Lovley Bunch of Coconuts".  Don't you just love that isolated G below middle C in the melody line?

Which arrangement is this? The one in Dancing With Ma Baby has a couple of those G's, but they look to me like nice descending harmony lines, not melody.

Hi Jim - In stand corrected. :) Someday I need to get my musical terms straightened out again.

And the next thing I have to learn is how to master quotes! It takes me forever to write a message with quotes in it.

J

Anyway, if you and Ken (and others) are interested, maybe we can arrange off line to get together - send me a note.

[

Here's a quick note, for now... :lol:

I am pretty flexible as far as time and place, etc.. re getting together.

I am still a bit of a beginner on the EC and am not practiced at the art of playing well with a band or group...BUT, it'd be fun to try, anyway, for sure!

More later, must get going today and do some stuff around here.

I am still a bit of a beginner on the EC and am not practiced at the art of playing well with a band or group...BUT, it'd be fun to try, anyway, for sure!

I'm pretty much there, too - I have played with others on the concertina only at the last Squeeze-In. My only other "group" music has been chorus. It should be fun to try!

J