Seeking concertina instructor near Arlington, VA

Zeteein

Howdy,

I've been working through some of the tutors and books, and I'd like to find an instructor who can help me get to the next level. I live in Arlington, VA. I'm happy to pay the going rate for an hour a week or so - even if you've never taught before, that's ok!

Thanks~

Sara

You are about 30 minutes south of Dana Johnson, maker of Kensington Concertinas. Dana has made reference in the past to having students. Don't know if he's still doing that or not, but you could contact him through his website http://www.kensingtonconcertinas.com/. Best of luck.

I also recommend Dana Johnson. He is a wonderful teacher, and knows a LOT about the instrument. He does currently teach and makes concertinas. Well worth the drive from Virginia.

lmc

I've been working through some of the tutors and books, and I'd like to find an instructor who can help me get to the next level. I live in Arlington, VA. I'm happy to pay the going rate for an hour a week or so - even if you've never taught before, that's ok!

Sara, what kind(s) of music are you interested in playing? If it's not only Irish tunes -- maybe Morris dance or contra dance, -- you might contact Jim Besser, who is a member here on Concertina.net.

Hey guys - thanks for the great replies!

I'm really just beginning - I got my Rochelle a few weeks ago after playing one of those cheap 20 button Chinese paper bellows disasters for about a month, at which point the thing started really falling apart. I'm looking to play any type of music for now - I'm working through the tutors, and finding that I'm making good progress on my own - but I really learn best when I have someone to show me the ropes and make sure I'm not developing any bad habits. I'd probably be good with one lesson every few weeks, actually - but I'm a social learner, so this all-books approach leaves me feeling somewhat empty. In fact, I've only ever seen the concertina played live once, and at the time I was busy contra dancing!

My boyfriend is a folk musician (robinsonleeearle.com, for anyone interested) and I've begun singing with him when he performs. I've been wanting to become a more active part of the music, and I'm so excited to have found the concertina because I think it's just such a beautiful instrument to play with his guitar or banjo. I'm far from playing with him live (I figure I'll practice at least a year or two first!), but we're starting to do some simple songs like She'll Be Commin' Round the Mountain at home.

So I guess I'm looking to play his folk songs on the concertina. But I think that at this point, I'm happy playing anything - I love the way Irish music sounds and I'm excited to play Celtic music - as well as old sea shanties (I have the ocean in my blood - I have some pirate ancestors, actually). As long as the song is good, I'm happy playing it!

I went to the House of Musical Traditions recently, and they only had a listing for an English concertina system instructor, so I'm very grateful for two fantastic leads on instructors. This forum really is a great resource - what a unique community of people who act as such even when online!

I went to the House of Musical Traditions recently, and they only had a listing for an English concertina system instructor, so I'm very grateful for two fantastic leads on instructors. This forum really is a great resource - what a unique community of people who act as such even when online!

Sorry I missed this, I was on vacation! Have replied by PM, happy to help out.

jb