Wanted Beginner/Intermediate G/D 30 Button

Zeteein

Hello,

I'm brand new to this community and I'm so excited to have found it! I just recently started playing with a cheap 20 button anglo, and I'm looking to move to a 30 button (I want to learn songs in many different keys). My boyfriend plays in DADGAD on the guitar, and I'd like to get a G/D tuned concertina to accompany him. So I'm looking for a 30 button G/D anglo, but I can't find any in my price range. I've seen the Rochelle and some decent Stagi intermediate quality/price instruments for C/G, but I haven't seen anything in G/D that's anywhere near my budget (I'm looking to spend $500 or so, maybe a bit more if that's my only option). I'm really looking forward to having a nicer instrument than this paper bellows one I have now, because some of the notes on it are pretty sour! But since I'm new to this, I don't feel comfortable committing a lot of money into a lifelong quality instrument yet.

Thanks!

Hi Zeteein

Have you considered a Jackie English concertina. or an Elise duet concertina? Might be better suited, depending on what you'd like to play. But to directly answer your question, Stagi does make Anglo concertinas in G/D sort of close to your price range. But they are special order like this page:

http://www.buttonbox.com/other-concertinas.html

Thanks

Leo

P.S. That site is in the US. What part of the world do you live? There might be something closer.

Edited by Leo

Hello,

I'm brand new to this community and I'm so excited to have found it! I just recently started playing with a cheap 20 button anglo, and I'm looking to move to a 30 button (I want to learn songs in many different keys). My boyfriend plays in DADGAD on the guitar, and I'd like to get a G/D tuned concertina to accompany him. So I'm looking for a 30 button G/D anglo, but I can't find any in my price range. I've seen the Rochelle and some decent Stagi intermediate quality/price instruments for C/G, but I haven't seen anything in G/D that's anywhere near my budget (I'm looking to spend $500 or so, maybe a bit more if that's my only option). I'm really looking forward to having a nicer instrument than this paper bellows one I have now, because some of the notes on it are pretty sour! But since I'm new to this, I don't feel comfortable committing a lot of money into a lifelong quality instrument yet.

Thanks!

Button Box has a G-D Stagi model for $770 new. They are the only dealer I'd recommend buying a Stagi from as they "bring them up to specs" before they let them leave the shop. See the link

http://www.buttonbox.com/instruments-in-stock.html

Awesome! I don't know how I missed that option on the button box site. I really am interested in the Anglo style because I love how it sounds and feels somewhat like a harmonica at times. I do live in America - I actually live fairly close to the House of Musical Traditions in DC, but they don't currently have any D/G instruments in stock.

Thanks for your help Leo and CaryK!

...this is such a difficult choice to make. Should I get a Rochelle C/G from button box, with the plan to eventually move up to a Morse D/G, or should I get a Stagi G/D right now, knowing that this instrument won't give me the bang for the buck that the Rochelle would give (and doesn't seem to have the upgrade program), but that it'd be in the tuning I want to play in the long run?

I guess my question really is, if I learn C/G for a year or two and then switch to a nice D/G - how much of a change is that for the player? I'm mostly looking to figure out accompaniments to my boyfriend's original songs (he's a folk musician), and so I'm not looking to play traditional music necessarily. But he often plays in weird tunings and is based in DADGAD, so I feel like having a very accessible D would be my best bet for playing with him.

Has anyone made this type of C/G to G/D switch before? Would it be worth the extra money to get a G/D Stagi now?

Thanks! I'm not sure if this is the right forum for these questions - sorry!