For sale - 56 key English Concertina

chris angus

I have for sale the English concertina owned and played by the late great Tom Prince.

Tom (or uncle tommy to me) played this and used it to lead the accordian band I played in - Tom lived in the same village as me and taught me the accordian when I was a child. I later went on to join him in playing for Benfieldside morris and rapper side.

When Tom died in '86 his English concertina came to me by way of his son and although I've continued to play the accordian I have never been able to devote the time to this concertina that it deserves.

Now I'm a dad myself and although my lads are curious about the concertina it looks like they don't have an iterest in learning.

As a result I'd like to find a good home for Tom's concertina.

This is the Concertina which Tom used day in-day out - Tom also had a octagonal one but this one was his main workhorse.

There are some pictures of Tom on the "Friends of Concertina Internationals" facebook group and all of these are picture Tom playing this 'tina

http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=114269261941142&view=all

I do not know for definite what make/model this is as it does not seem to have its plates etc but I believe I was told it was a Wheatstone - hopefully someone could determine that from the photographs.

As far as I can determine the bellows and reeds are sound on both the out and the in.

After all that preamble I am struggling to know how to value this so would be grateful if folks on this group that are more clued up than me about concertinas could take a view on its worth open a discussion and help me find a home for it.

Many thanks

Chris

post-8753-006844400 1281297712_thumb.jpg

post-8753-095337200 1281297733_thumb.jpg

post-8753-020498600 1281297744_thumb.jpg

post-8753-018243200 1281297766_thumb.jpg

post-8753-047932500 1281297778_thumb.jpg

post-8753-058509500 1281297793_thumb.jpg

post-8753-080185000 1281297803_thumb.jpg

post-8753-010102900 1281297820_thumb.jpg

post-8753-068980000 1281297830_thumb.jpg

post-8753-019025400 1281297843_thumb.jpg

post-8753-082945800 1281297856_thumb.jpg

I own a 56-key Boyd Wheatstone, which looks just like this one. Mine has the name H Boyd in the fretwork of the right side. The pictures do not show this detail clearly enough?! Does anybody know how to determine the difference between a Lachenal and a Wheatstone Boyd ( other than from the reed-pans )? This should have an influence on the value.

Edited by conzertino

I would say that the Boyd Wheatstone is an incredible professional instrument ( Alistair Anderson plays one ). For many years I couldn't make up my mind, whether to prefer the Boyd or my best Aeola. I am prepared to offer 2.000 Sterling for a back-up, but it should fetch more...

I have been actively seeking an Eboney ended Tenor Treble 56 key Wheatstone. However this sounds very enticing. I also found this neat link where Boyd is mentioned. http://www.concertina.com/maccann-duet/Maccann-Concertinists-Guide.pdf

Does the instrument need any work?

rss

I wonder if a "Boyd" would suit you Randy,

Each Boyd I have played was very bright and loud, though two were Lachenals and maybe they were too sharp sounding for me. The third was Alistair Anderson's Wheatstone and maybe that was more agreable, I do not recall exactly. But you can get a good idea of the sound from his many recordings.

An ebony Tenor Treble Aeola is quite a different kettle of fish.

There are occasions when I wish for an instrument with the power of a Boyd, playing in large and noisy situations, but would I want to play one at home? What might my wife say (she plays the fiddle with me) to a piercing toned Concertina ?

I must say that I am also very interested in this instrument,which would be good for playing Jigs, Reels and Hornpipes, so I am contemplating at the moment.

Geoff.

I have been actively seeking an Eboney ended Tenor Treble 56 key Wheatstone. However this sounds very enticing. I also found this neat link where Boyd is mentioned. http://www.concertina.com/maccann-duet/Maccann-Concertinists-Guide.pdf

Does the instrument need any work?

rss

Hi, in as much as I can tell I do not believe that it requires any non-cosmetic work.

Unfortunately the limit of my playing is to play a scale so I've done little more than kick the tyres.

However the bellows are extremely sound with no leaks and each of the 56 keys sound on both the in and out movements.

The left thumbstrap is sound but looks like it frayed and been repaired by Tom (this can be seen on the picture with the concertina in the box).

Edited by chris angus

I wonder if a "Boyd" would suit you Randy,

Each Boyd I have played was very bright and loud, though two were Lachenals and maybe they were too sharp sounding for me. The third was Alistair Anderson's Wheatstone and maybe that was more agreable, I do not recall exactly. But you can get a good idea of the sound from his many recordings.

An ebony Tenor Treble Aeola is quite a different kettle of fish.

There are occasions when I wish for an instrument with the power of a Boyd, playing in large and noisy situations, but would I want to play one at home? What might my wife say (she plays the fiddle with me) to a piercing toned Concertina ?

I must say that I am also very interested in this instrument,which would be good for playing Jigs, Reels and Hornpipes, so I am contemplating at the moment.

Geoff.

After 30 years my wife only complains about me, not my playing.

The brightness and timbre are an appealing point of the metal ends and the Boyd design makes it unique and special. While the ebony is a bit more subdued, I play in some instances where a brighter and more powerful sound would be a plus. One can control volume. Is it for sale?

rss

Edited by Randy Stein

The brightness and timbre are an appealing point of the metal ends and the Boyd design makes it unique and special. While the ebony is a bit more subdued, I play in some instances where a brighter and more powerful sound would be a plus. One can control volume. Is it for sale?

rss

Yes, this is for sale -

From the above discussions and bearing in mind it was Tom's then something in the roegion of £3000 would seem appropriate.

rss

Yes, this is for sale -

From the above discussions and bearing in mind it was Tom's then something in the roegion of £3000 would seem appropriate.

With the exchange rate it makes it around $4800 American and then there are the shipping and insurance costs which will push it well into $5200-$5400. Let me think on it a day.

rss

Edited by Randy Stein

hi, Chris I have played this concertina many years ago and I do know of some of its history and former owners, I was present when Tom purchased it from its former owner.

I would not publish their names without your permission, but if you wish to know email me.

Thanks Peter.

Hi Chris

This is the first time I have used a web discussion group so forgive any lack of technical or protocol knowledge. Theo Gibb emailed to let me know this instrument was on the market as he knows I am looking for a back up for my main instrument which is showing occasional signs of wear and tear hardly surprising the way I play the poor thing.

I heard Tom play his Boyd Wheatstone many times - a fine player and a fine instrument. Not all Boyd Wheatstones have the same characteristics of attack and dynamic but they are nearly all good instruments. I may well be in the market for this instrument and would be very interested to play it to see how it compares to other similar instruments I have played over the years. I could pop down to Huddersfield some time to suit.

Best wishes

Alistair Anderson

Hi Chris

This is the first time I have used a web discussion group so forgive any lack of technical or protocol knowledge. Theo Gibb emailed to let me know this instrument was on the market as he knows I am looking for a back up for my main instrument which is showing occasional signs of wear and tear hardly surprising the way I play the poor thing.

I heard Tom play his Boyd Wheatstone many times - a fine player and a fine instrument. Not all Boyd Wheatstones have the same characteristics of attack and dynamic but they are nearly all good instruments. I may well be in the market for this instrument and would be very interested to play it to see how it compares to other similar instruments I have played over the years. I could pop down to Huddersfield some time to suit.

Best wishes

Alistair Anderson

Hi Alistair,

I'll mail you my address as a private message

Chris