Moving to Indiana

Hello all -- long time no post!

To sum up, the family is moving to Bloomington, Indiana tomorrow (yes, tomorrow!). My spouse has a new teaching job at Ivy Tech, the child starts kindergarten, and I've already contacted the local morris team to see if they are willing to take on an old morris dancer who wants a new "career" as a morris musician.

Anything else I should know about the squeezebox scene in Bloomington? Any C-Netters? Any C-Netters willing to give pointers to a novice morris musician?

Good Luck Rhomylly in your new home.

Sounds like you have already sorted out the local Folk scene they will be delighted to welcome you into their fold.

If you want any references there are at least a hundred members on this site they will gladly provide it.

No wait one hundred and one

Al :)

I spent 3 years at I.U. It is a beautiful and slow paced wonderful place to live. There is a vibrant music scene at the University. The School of Music is one of the best in country and there are quite a bit of old time and bluegrass music festivals around the area. It has been years since I have been back but with a campus of some 45,000 you should easily find like minded free reed players.

rss

I spent 3 years at I.U. It is a beautiful and slow paced wonderful place to live. There is a vibrant music scene at the University. The School of Music is one of the best in country and there are quite a bit of old time and bluegrass music festivals around the area. It has been years since I have been back but with a campus of some 45,000 you should easily find like minded free reed players.

rss

I concur with Randy about IU. I also spent a number of years living in Bloomington, first as an undergraduate, then several years later as a graduate student. Great and diverse school of music and strong fine arts community there.. Many art and music festivals in the area especially next door in Brown County. Best of luck in finding your musical soul mates there.

Hey,

Welcome to Indiana!

I live just north of Indy, so here are some additional bits of info. You'd find all this out soon enough but anyhow.

Bloomington is great, for reasons others have said. (The Dali Lama's brother used to teach there, and started a wonderful Tibetan Buddhist center)

Years ago I tried to start a Morris side in Richmond, and invited some folks from B-town to help us out, not sure if they still are dancing, but there is some Morris history there.

Besides the Old-Time scene and the Irish session there, there are 2 and soon possibly a third Irish session in Indy, which is only a bit over an hour away. Bloomington musicians regularly make the trek.

You're really going to like it there, Hoosiers are really friendly people.

Let me know when you get settled, I think the number of button accordion players in the state can probably be counted on your fingers.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Williamson is another player there, on G/D Lachenal when he is not playing fiddle.

I used to know every concertina player in Indiana, about 10 years ago. No doubt there are more now.

Ken