Want to buy cheapo chiniese concertina

folkie678

check ebay

I agree. Your price range is a little low even for a low-end Chinese one, but it might be enough for an old 20-button Italian one that may well be better made than those. See, for example, here, here, and here. Make sure you check the shipping charges so you can calculate the true price.

The main problem seems to be that the poor man may well end up with the wrong concertina-system!!! What music does he want to play? Irish music ( anglo, different notes on push and pull ) or everthing ( English system, same note on push and pull )? It should be possible to find a second hand Chinese box for less then 100 Bucks?!?

No... you don't.

If all you can scrounge is twenty bucks an you want to simply try out a box, consider getting one of the little button box accordions that can be bought in the toy stores. you'll get ten buttons, twenty notes, (sorta, though some actually sound pretty good amazingly), and the sort of experience of an aglo with different notes on the push and pull.

even the cheapest chi-box will be 60-100 bucks plus shipping.

Yes, we can... Check out this - brand new for 99$ or less...

I give up. What is it? A new style concertina?

From the description:

Beautiful, flawless JET BLACK finish.

Italian Tuned.

C/G Key.

Wheatstone Keyboard Layout

Semi-Chromatic

English Style Concertina

30 Buttons, 60 Reeds

The finger plates are on backwards and possibly in the wrong place, and possibly the thumb straps too. Nothing lines up correctly.

Do you suppose it can only pray Engrish moosic too, if it's prayable at all?

Thanks

Leo :lol:

Yes, we can... Check out this - brand new for 99$ or less...

I give up. What is it? A new style concertina?

From the description:

Beautiful, flawless JET BLACK finish.

Italian Tuned.

C/G Key.

Wheatstone Keyboard Layout

Semi-Chromatic

English Style Concertina

30 Buttons, 60 Reeds

The finger plates are on backwards and possibly in the wrong place, and possibly the thumb straps too. Nothing lines up correctly.

Do you suppose it can only pray Engrish moosic too, if it's prayable at all?

Thanks

Leo :lol:

Didn't know you were a multi linguist Leo.

Very impressive

Bon Journal

Al

Edited by Alan Day

After some discussion Juliette and I agreed that it must be an English system with with the finger-rests exchanged and a funny air-button...

English? I think it must be pigeon-English.

In the factory that made it, quality control must have flown out the window.

Definitely not a Crane duet.

And certainly nothing to crow about.

I think that if I tried to play that one, it would drive me stork raven mad.

No... you don't.

If all you can scrounge is twenty bucks an you want to simply try out a box, consider getting one of the little button box accordions that can be bought in the toy stores. you'll get ten buttons, twenty notes, (sorta, though some actually sound pretty good amazingly), and the sort of experience of an aglo with different notes on the push and pull.

I strongly support this option. I've had several of these Chinese Hero accordions and they're unbeatable in the $20 and under category. As noted, a melodeon has a lot of similarities with Anglo concertina, so though it wouldn't be identical in play, it'd sound quite similar and a lot of the skillset would cross over quickly if you later decide to upgrade to a $350 Rochelle concertina (the hands-down favourite starter Anglo)

That said, you just have to get a good Hero. If you can find a toy shop in town (or music shop that carries them), go and try a few out and pick the best one. When I was living in Newfoundland I went to a shop and tried about a dozen, bought like three of the most in-tune ones, but a few had a note or two that was notably off. There are folks who fix that by unscrewing the box and taping off one of each of the doubled reeds, after IDing which reeds are most off; of the two reeds odds are one is in tune. The other plus is that with single-reeds for each note your air lasts a lot longer.

What city do you live in? One of us might know where to find such boxes in your area.

Alternately, you could contact a few eBay sellers (just search "toy accordion", they sell under a variety of brand names) and say "I'll buy one, but only if you check it before you ship it and make sure I get a good one since I want to actually play music." Some might ignore you, but maybe you'll get a friendly guy who wants a satisfied customer. They sell tons of the little things on eBay.

Just as an example, here's a guy doing a great tune on a $20 Hero:

Edited by MatthewVanitas

• 3 weeks later...

No... you don't.

I strongly support this option. I've had several of these Chinese Hero accordions and they're unbeatable in the $20 and under category. As noted, a melodeon has a lot of similarities with Anglo concertina, so though it wouldn't be identical in play, it'd sound quite similar and a lot of the skillset would cross over quickly if you later decide to upgrade to a $350 Rochelle concertina (the hands-down favourite starter Anglo)

That said, you just have to get a good Hero. If you can find a toy shop in town (or music shop that carries them), go and try a few out and pick the best one. When I was living in Newfoundland I went to a shop and tried about a dozen, bought like three of the most in-tune ones, but a few had a note or two that was notably off. There are folks who fix that by unscrewing the box and taping off one of each of the doubled reeds, after IDing which reeds are most off; of the two reeds odds are one is in tune. The other plus is that with single-reeds for each note your air lasts a lot longer.

What city do you live in? One of us might know where to find such boxes in your area.

Alternately, you could contact a few eBay sellers (just search "toy accordion", they sell under a variety of brand names) and say "I'll buy one, but only if you check it before you ship it and make sure I get a good one since I want to actually play music." Some might ignore you, but maybe you'll get a friendly guy who wants a satisfied customer. They sell tons of the little things on eBay.

Just as an example, here's a guy doing a great tune on a $20 Hero:

Thanks for all the help ,i thought about buying one of those boxes before , also i live in New York City by the way

And here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjE1CF4cTuE&feature=related'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjE1CF4cTuE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjE1CF4cTuE&feature=related

Are these really made by a famous concertina maker?

I read somewhere online that they're all made in a real accordion factory in Shanghai , which is kinda extraordinary figuring all the brands they're labeled under , but hey that's how it is sometimes with Asian instruments .