Finger Numbness

I've been playing the anglo for a few weeks and notice that my left index finger tip now has a dead spot of numbness.

Has anybody else experienced this ?

Is it normal; it is just while the fingers toughen up ?

I've been playing the anglo for a few weeks and notice that my left index finger tip now has a dead spot of numbness.

I remember playing a Jeffries that had pin type buttons and within five minutes all my finger tips had numbness.

It may be that you are attacking the buttons a bit hard, relax get your fingers in a position nearer to the buttons and do not push down too hard. I think you will find that what you have is finger tip bruising and it will gradually improve.

Al

I get the same thing when playing my mandolin - the fingers need to develop hard segs on the ends and they are permanently numb. I've noticed when trying out different concertinas that some buttons are less comfortable than others - don't know why. I seem to remember when I first started that I pressed on too much and it hurt, and I've recently started playing a Maccann duet after 9 years on the English, and the difference made my fingers ache a bit, and the buttons did dig in - even though they don't now. I think I tended to press on too much at first as Alan said. It's great when you realise that you don't need to - it's the bellows action that produces the sound, not how hard you press the buttons! I think that took me quite a while to realise!

Happy playing and I hope your finger gets better soon - don't let it put you off.

That brings back memories biggrin.gif numb finger tips, each with a little round indent from the buttons, along with aching wrists and thumbs. It does wear off with time as the finger ends harden and the muscles get used to the weight of the concertina. biggrin.gif

It might be 'normal,' but a good counteraction is to keep the skin conditioned. Particular essential oils are great, because they can potentially soak through the skin.

To really get a good treatment, put essential oil (or, even just plain olive oil, etc.) on the fingers/hands, then either wear plastic gloves or simply wrap up the hand with plastic wrap. This is almost like a sauna for the hands. Follow it up with cleansing and some hand cream (like a shea butter cream).

Of course, helps to do this when you don't have something else to do -- like, when you are sleeping, or, sitting around watching tv for an hour or whatever.

I wanted the calluses, when I played the guitar (back in history). But, I don't think you need them to play the concertina!

I have skin troubles, on my hands. That's one reason I am always checking out cures.

I've had some numbness problems every now and then. Another good treatment is to get to a gym, if you can, and do a little bit of arm work. I'm no bodybuilder (far from it!) but I always feel better if I loosen up the shoulders by using the 'pull down' machine at the gym. Also, the 'fly' machine is great.

I joined a gym, then had too much trouble with my hands to keep going, for about a year. But I recently started going back, and I'm hoping I can stick with it, this time.

That brings back memories biggrin.gif numb finger tips, each with a little round indent from the buttons, along with aching wrists and thumbs. It does wear off with time as the finger ends harden and the muscles get used to the weight of the concertina. biggrin.gif

Doesn't bring back memories for me, because (1) I had played mandolin for years before starting the concertina, and (2) I started concertina on an East German model with its big, thick buttons.

But I agree - it's a beginner's thing, it'll wear off with practice.

I believe people who take up horse-riding get numb in a quite different place ... ;) But only at the beginning!

Cheers,

John