concertina reeds and bog oak

Hello everyone:I am willing to take the challenge of making my own anglo concertina since I have a bit of experience with previous restoration jobs. Where can I get sets of hybrid type reeds? Did someone ever tried bog oak for the ends and sides. Thanks

A person can try find hybrid reeds at: VociArmoniche.it see the link: http://www.vociarmoniche.it/

Voci Armoniche produce the Antonelli Reeds common to many hybrid concertinas. They are only interested in selling large quantities of reed sets.

Voci Armoniche from Italy will refer you to concertina makers such as Frank Edgley or Bob Tedrow in the event you only need one set.

Good luck!

Edited by Ben

Regarding Bog Oak; I do not feel that this material would be suitable or reliable for the ends of a concertina. Nice in an artistic carving but all the time and trouble that you might go to in making your 'ends' deserves being spent on a tried and tested wood.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Could you use the Bog Oak as a veneer on a plywood frame . Bob

I'ld say any veneer on plywood (or solid mahogany) should do the job. If the veneer wood cracks easy it can be prepared with wood filler and shellac or something else. It fills the grain and makes the veneer strong across the nerves. After it is glued on the ends it will be safer to make the buttons holes and the fretwork of the ends without splitting pieces of veneer.

They are only interested in selling large quantities of reed sets.

In that case, their policy has changed - I bought my 27 reeds with them.

/Henrik

Hello Henrik ,I came acros your kitchen table concertina a few months ago and your work looks very impresive with lots of helpfull pictures.So far I did not get any answer from those two companies that make reeds . Can you remember the price for your set?. Thanks

They are only interested in selling large quantities of reed sets.

In that case, their policy has changed - I bought my 27 reeds with them.

/Henrik

Hello Henrik ,I came acros your kitchen table concertina a few months ago and your work looks very impresive with lots of helpfull pictures.So far I did not get any answer from those two companies that make reeds . Can you remember the price for your set?. Thanks

Found the invoice - around €75, for 27 specified non-diatonic notes

/Henrik