Band Day at Dungworth , thanks

Thanks to Mark Davies and Jeremy and dad , Alan Hague for putting on the day in the Village Hall at Dungworth near Sheffield About a dozen people and we got through the arrangements nicely. my first time at this sort of event as I normally play Anglo by ear. Nice pies and puddings in The Royal. JH did some Zooom recordings.smile.gif I'll post a few pics

Jeremy is Librarian of the ICA and doing a great job

Edited by michael sam wild

I agree wholeheartedly. A great day - great music from the ICA library - great food - great venue! Well done everyone, especially Jeremy and Mark who organsed it - can't wait till the next one!!!

Looking forward to the pics Mike

Thanks for your kind comments. My dad and I had a great time too. I'll tidy up the recordings and send to you in due course. I think we should ask the newly formed Royal Concertina Band to play at the ICA AGM in Nottingham on 6th November. What do you think?

Thanks for your kind comments. My dad and I had a great time too. I'll tidy up the recordings and send to you in due course. I think we should ask the newly formed Royal Concertina Band to play at the ICA AGM in Nottingham on 6th November. What do you think?

Yes, good idea - although not all of us will be there! The tunes are not too difficult though for the most part, so it would be great for everyone to join in! When - Friday or sometime Saturday? I hope you're going to put the recordings on the website or with a link to the library so people can hear what there is available to some extent. I think that's probably more important than letting us have a copy. How long I wonder would it take to record all the music in the library (don't have a heart attack!)?

Hi Helen

I,ve put some on facebook , sadly my camera memory was nearly full! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000680490476

As a humble 26 button C/G Anglo player I managed most of the top lines with a few accidentals.and I don't really read music too well.

I'm not to sure about all the flat keys though!

It's not normally my scene , I'm a session chappie mainly but I enjoyed it.

I grew up near Belle Vue in Manchester where the big band competitions took place so it may be in the blood.:)

Edited by michael sam wild

As a humble 26 button C/G Anglo player I managed most of the top lines with a few accidentals.and I don't really read music too well.

I'm not to sure about all the flat keys though!

It's not normally my scene , I'm a session chappie mainly but I enjoyed it.

It doesn't really matter what kind of 'chappie' you are though - it's good to try other types of music sometimes - I was lucky enough to find the YCC 6 weeks after I got the concertina so I started with band music as well as other kids of music in the workshops - and I had the good fortune to have a couple of pointers for Graham (Heffernan) to keep me on the straight and narrow. Phil says you ought to try playing in a band with just 2 buttons (G/D) and only 5 bellows - as he did when he first started! It's what Alan said that's most important - if I could only do it - and that's to play through the mistakes and just carry on and do what you can! And after all, it's the experience that counts - even if you only mime!

Flat keys can be a bit of a pain - much more so on an anglo so I'm told. I've tried to play these on my 'new' Maccann and can just about get it although e flat's a big pain!

Still - life's for learning new things and getting new experiences, and if they're all as good as the Royal Band day, bring it on!

Thanks Helen. what I found most encouraging was a lack of any preciousness. I've been put off in the past by bigheads ( legends in their own opinion) in the music and singing world. ( who often weren't as good as they thought)

As I've been a solo player and singer in clubs and played in sessions and bands and for Morris for many years I have had to learn how to keep busking it to keep the dance going so I know what you mean. My Dad's advice was always 'Don't stop, just keep smiling and don't give it away., very few people will notice !'

The group the other day were fun and easygoing so I'll be back:)

By coincidence , when I was clearing my attic to get some furniture for my son who is going to University in London to do Music Production I found lots of old fruit boxes full of sheet music and books of old popular music arrangements . I bought them at a house clearance in the early 60s with a load of other stuff and completely forgot them. I might just try my hand at some of them.

I'll have to ask Jeremy if the ICA would want them , but I'm sure he'd groan!!

Hi Mike - sounds like you're going to have a great time sorting that lot out! If/when you go to another band of any sort all you've got to do if you don't understand something is ask! I learned what an anacrusis was a couple of years ago! It's the lead in notes, and it sounds a bit pretentious to call it by its real name, but sometimes it's good to do a bit of showing off! One thing about increasing age is that you get blase about not knowing something and letting other people know - you don't feel such a fool any more!