Looking For A Certain Style On Cd

I can fully understand your situation Sharron in that you know the style of playing that you like.This is great as many people develope a style over years of playing,you know what you like already so you can work on that.It would be boring if we all played in the same way and I have not met any concertina player yet that I could say plays the same as somebody else.Similar yes the same no.

As for ornamentation etc.I can also understand this point of view and for me Marc Peron is the most technical,talented fantastic player of the button accordion ever but for me sadly a complete switch off ,clever yes, do I like it no.

What we do is take the bits and pieces we like and adopt them and the bits we do not like discard and we finish up with our own style.Some will like it others will hate it.

You cannot win em all.

Al

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharron, do you think you could invent your own style? If you're trying to find stuff to listen to, perhaps you could record yourself, then listen objectively and critically and try to identify how you'd tweak your playing. After a few iterations, maybe you'd be the best embodiment of what you're looking for ;)

Tom Lawrence

Thanks Henk for the link.

The cds you mentioned Henk are the two extremes for me......

Well, these two popped up, although you would not like to mention names ;)

Sharron, do you think you could invent your own style? If you're trying to find stuff to listen to, perhaps you could record yourself, then listen objectively and critically and try to identify how you'd tweak your playing. After a few iterations, maybe you'd be the best embodiment of what you're looking for
What we do is take the bits and pieces we like and adopt them and the bits we do not like discard and we finish up with our own style.Some will like it others will hate it.

You cannot win em all.

A very good suggestion by Tom and wise words by Alan!

As a spin off Sharron (and others as well!) can publish the recording(s) on the internet :rolleyes: .

Ahh you guys :lol:

I really want to be able to listen to cds that I like the style of playing on.

Everyone I think adapts their own playing style to what suits them.

Yes I learn tunes off cds........but I do listen for enjoyment too.

I just want to not waste money on cds that won't get played......surely you all know that you don't want to have your wife spending all your hard earned cash.

Well think of it from a man's point of view and *her indoors* is on the hunt for spending cash........you would I am sure not want it wasted :P

There are links on this site for listening to clips from cds......great :D ....but there must be plenty more out there which are not in the public eye or know......maybe privately produced, etc. Anyone know of any which I might find worth hunting down?

Sharron

Hi Sharron,

I've been following this thread and can empathise with your situation. I too have many cds, some of which I tired of very quickly.

I don't know exactly what style of concertina playing you like, but I have listened to most of the artists already mentioned and I can honestly say that I was very pleasantly surprised by a recording of the late Tommy McCarthy called 'Sporting Nell'. It is unaccompanied playing on concertina, pipes and whistle played in a 'simple' Clare style with (imho) lovely ornamentaion. I found the following website which gives details of the cd.

http://www.openear.ie/Merchant2/merchant.m...egory_Code=Trad

(p.s. I have no connection to the vendors).

Des

Though I am a big fan of Noel Hill, Niall Vallely, and Michael O'Raghallaigh, one album I frequently play for a change of pace is the

CD by Terry Bingham. The music is played in a relaxed, yet moderately ornamented East Clare style. The selection of pieces is very good, especially the first cut on the album - two jigs "Old Man Dillon and Tommy Peoples". There is some stringed accompaniment, but mostly it's the concertina you hear. I very much enjoy this recording.

Sharron, just up the road from you in Newcastle lives Chris Sherbourne and his band Last Nights fun. Sorry if this has already been mentioned (havent read all the above)but I think their latest CD would be the one for you. To me it sounds exactly like what you are decribing.

Peter

Well Sharron, I don't have a concertina CD for you but I have found a killer fiddle CD by the Groovemongers. I can just see you playing it. It's fantastic. Will go find the name and send it to you. For your closet fiddle playing. They are a terrific contra dance band. Maybe Alan Day can play the tunes on concertina and get a feel for Contra Dance.

Sharron, the third tune down on Henk's list can also be heard on one of the early Solas albums (the 2nd??) performed by John Williams. He still performs it in concert. "The Kilnemona Bardance" can also be heard on the Martin Hayes/Dennis Cahill "Live in Seattle" album, but of course, not on concertina.

For that matter, you do have John Williams' 2 solo cd's, don't you?? Excellent box and concertina stuff.

Edited by Sandy Winters

Phew all this overnight :D

The barndance Tim plays is one I already play on the fiddle and maybe that's what drew me to his setting......the bits that don't go on the fiddle but sit so well on concertina now makes me find playing it on fiddle sadly lacking :(

I have this tune on various cds.

Yes I have both the John Williams cds.

Going to check out to see if I can find sound clips of the other cds you have all mentioned. Going to be a fun night as my husband is working late so I have all the time to check them out.

Just received a new set of speakers for the computer and I must say that the improvement is dramatic for learning by ear. No distortion at all even when I tested them at -400% speed......as an experiment. :lol:

Sharron

Thanks Stephen for the information on Tim Collins.......does he feature on cd by any chance?

Sharron,

I'm not aware of any commercial recordings of Tim, but then Ireland has plenty of great traditional musicians, like Tim, who haven't been recorded.

I am off to Dublin in a couple of weeks so wanted to have a little list of what to shop for while there.

Now if you could change your plans, and come to Eigse Mrs. Crotty (link here) in Kilrush, in August, instead, I could introduce you to him ! I see that he is going to be there once more this year, indeed he is going to be a star attraction at the Mrs. Crotty Memorial Concert, along with the band Dervish, on Saturday night. You could then dance to himself, and the rest of the Kilfenora Ceili Band, at the open air ceili on Sunday afternoon (if the rain holds off !).

You might also get to hear one of the few remaining "old-style" players, like Tom Carey (very much recommended), whose style you would probably love.

Why, I see from the program, that there's even a fellow called Stephen Chambers giving a talk on the History of the Concertina, can't miss that !

I will, at last, be living in Kilrush at that stage, I have already rented a flat off Kevin Clancy, (he and his wife, Rebecca Brew, own Crotty's Pub), but (the way things are going) I doubt if I will have my house bought by then.

Ah Stephen if only I could come in August :(

When you are there, then you could ask Tim and Tom to get some recording done :D

They have a fan waiting :lol:

Hope your move goes smoothly Stephen.

Sharron.....still compiling lists of cds to buy :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter Laban

Just to respond to the start of the thread, i just picked up Tim Collins' new CD fresh from the press. Custy's just had a box in for those who can't wait. lovely stuff.

www.timcollins-concertina.com

Edited by Peter Laban

Thanks Peter

No sign of it in Claddagh.

Ordered it from Custy's, so rubbing my hands with anticipation.

Not a lot to pick up when in Dublin when we were there, but did get a hold of the MacNamara's new one but must say that I don't like paying full price for a cd with such a short playing time, I always feel cheated somehow.

Also got the Healy brothers cd.......that is a really nice one, box and concertina with a real flavour of listening as if in a session.

So roll on delivery of Tim Collin's new one, I can't wait.

Sharron