New member introduction

Hello everyone,

I realised that I didn't introduce myself properly in my first posting on the rochelle competition and don't want to be rude. So here it goes.

I live in quebec city, my experience with the concertina is quite limited as i'm an upright bass player. My first contact with the concertina came last year when I went to a marine chants festival in st-jean-port-joli. There I met Danny Spooner an australian who sings shanties with his english concertina, I simply fell in love with his music and this little button box. I looked into buying one then, but the price was prohibitive...at least to my budge! A few weeks ago I received an ipad as a gift and while looking for an application for the bass I stumble onto this little application http://www.tradlesso...ncertinaXL.html which simulate a 30 buttons Lachenal with a jeffrie layup, soon I fell deep into the spell again by playing little tunes like the valse d'amelie poulain (from the film). Now I'm in desperate need of the reel thing, bust I must admit that this app. is really neat and for those of you with an ipad or iphone I would highly recommend it. I play quebec old folk song almost identical to irish music from which it came, but I also play klezmer and bluegrass which I would like to be able to play on the concertina, the rockabilly I could keep on the double bass. If I could only decide now between anglo or EC.....keeping in mind that i'm a bassist and love keeping thing simple. My budget is still quite limited and I'll probably go with a jackie or rochelle to keep option open for a future purchase!

Thanks for all your comments on the previous posting.

Robert

How do you do Robert. Good to meet you!

I think there are a good few other members from your area so hopefully they'll be along soon.

Still Saturday morning/lunchtime for you folks I guess!

Cheers

Tom

nice to meet you. i believe member azalin lives in your province. he's a great player, and has an awesome anglo concertina.

a friend of ours here at the forum made that application! the link you gave does not work, but i know who you're talking about. i actually helped him with some of the beta testing for the earliest iphone versions. i'm sure he'll be glad to know he's inspired you.

just so you know, you should be able to get "englitina" in order to try out the english concertina layout. also, there is "haydentina" to try out a hayde duet. they are all made by the same person who made the app you fell in love with.

david

Hi.

I'm also new (to the forum and concertina).

I bought a Rochelle on the advice from the forum and have been pleased with it.

I also have the iPod app that you are referring to, but find it very frustrating to use - the real thing is easier.

Hello everyone,

I realised that I didn't introduce myself properly in my first posting on the rochelle competition and don't want to be rude. So here it goes.

I live in quebec city,

Thanks for all your comments on the previous posting.

Robert

Welcome, Robert!

That's was one of the more unusual introductions to the concertina!

/Henrik

Hello everyone,

My first contact with the concertina came last year when I went to a marine chants festival in st-jean-port-joli. There I met Danny Spooner an australian who sings shanties with his english concertina, I simply fell in love with his music and this little button box.

Robert

Well well well Rorbert,

nice that you are here and that you met Danny Spooner recently. Great to hear that he is still going strong. I have not seen him in more than 20 years !

best regards,

Geoff.

I can't wait to play on tha real thing!

I can't say whether the upright bass engenders real passion, but the concertina certainly does! It's a slippery slope and it sounds like you're well down it before even getting one!

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Chris

Well well well Rorbert,

nice that you are here and that you met Danny Spooner recently. Great to hear that he is still going strong. I have not seen him in more than 20 years !

best regards,

Geoff.

I heard that he was in the states at the beginning of the summer but he's in england right now, I know because i tried to get my hands on one of his recording but could'nt find it this side of the pond and had to contact him trough his website. If you knw where I could find one please let me know. For those interested you can check his wesite and even dowlaod a few tunes. http://www.dannyspooner.com/

Robert

p.s. A rochelle is on it's way can't wait to try the real thing!