klezmer music, anglo or english?

Jim's excellent summary above omits one word that I would have included: The technical name for the kind of scale which he calls "ordinary" (well-behaved scales with key signatures that fit the pattern he describes). The word is:

Diatonic

I had thought about including the term "diatonic" in my explanation, but I chose to leave it out because many people already have a wrong idea of what it means, and I feared that would have added confusion. (In the squeezebox world, it is commonly used to sounding different notes on push and pull. And I know people who think that "diatonic" applies only to a standard major scale.) As you say, it's a technical name, and I was aiming for a non-technical explanation.

But I think your separate post was the perfect way to add the term, and maybe increase folks' awareness of its "true" meaning at the same time.

Thanks.

My knowledge of klezmer has increased enormously (admittedly from a very very low base point) through this thread, thanks to all.

Jim's excellent and erudite post is also, by the way, an excellent discussion of why Scandinavian folk music works so well on the EC ...

Jim's excellent and erudite post is also, by the way, an excellent discussion of why Scandinavian folk music works so well on the EC ...

:)

I'm currently working on (i.e., trying to memorize) some tunes from Jämtland.

I have no doubts that Scandinavian folk music works well on the EC. But the Anglo is very good for that rep. as well. Perhaps in contrast to Klezmer, the scales are more often diatonic and so are more accessible on the Anglo. Also the double fiddle harmony can often be emulated by one Anglo player to great effect.

:)

I'm currently working on (i.e., trying to memorize) some tunes from Jämtland.

Ah Jämtland - superb music from there and amongst my favourites - work amazingly well on EC.