Barry the Blackbird.

Very tenuous link ..... a tune, called "The Blackbird", is often played on concertina.

Reality is sometimes stranger than fiction:

http://www.geograph....k/photo/1983070

He's got a bit of Thrush in his genes somewhere.

Al

You can get a cream for that. ;)

The Blackbirds here in Somerset this season are noticeably less nervous of human contact than is usual. Reports from elsewhere in the country have been saying much the same thing.

The Blackbirds here in Somerset this season are noticeably less nervous of human contact than is usual. Reports from elsewhere in the country have been saying much the same thing.

Word obviously spreads fast; maybe Barry had access to the internet.

I have three or four regular blackbird visitors to my garden. Sometimes they queue up for the bird bath. If I'm in the garden, I sometimes whistle to them, which results in some strange looks. I've not tried the concertina on the birds, but past experience suggests that horses like the sound.

You just made me spit my tea over my keyboard in laughter.

Laughter?
:unsure:

lil_bird.JPG

(That's
my
photo, of my keyboard and a very alive bird.
:)
)

Laughter?

lil_bird.JPG

(That's
my
)

Aaah, what a delightful photograph of a Goldcrest. Is he/she in the middle of 'tweeting', I wonder? :unsure:

Chris

Laughter?

lil_bird.JPG

(That's
my
)

Looks like you just spat it out.

You shouldn't try to eat live goldcrests, Jim; they're much tastier fried in batter. :)

Laughter?

lil_bird.JPG

(That's
my
)

I predict another tea-splattered keyboard. :o

(That's
my
)

No but seriously, Jim, what is a rather poorly looking goldcrest doing apparently scratching its bum on your numerical pad?

Seriously, I rescued it from being trod upon in Stengade (the pedestrian-only main shopping street in Helsingør). I feared it was ill, especially since it didn't struggle when I picked it up. But since it was still alive, I carried it home and then contacted various friends who know more about wild birds than I do.

One suggestion was that it was just exhausted from a long migration, and that was apparently the case. I set it near my keyboard, to keep it under observation. It gradually improved, began wandering a bit, hopped up on the keypad and did a few sums (OK, I'm elaborating slightly), and later over toward the window, though I'm glad to say it didn't try to fly through the window. It didn't seem to mind occasionally standing on my hand as I looked it over. Somewhat later, when it was looking much stronger, I took it out on the balcony, where it looked at me (to say goodbye?), hopped from my hand to the rail, then flew the 30-or-so meters to the larch tree in back. It seemed to rest there for about a minute, then flew strongly away... toward Sweden. So I presume it was continuing its northward journey after a short R&R.

One of my recent blogs has a fairly good representation of 'my' birdies:

blog with bird audio

I can really hear the chickadee in this one.

It varies, around here, but we get some pretty nice birds sometimes.

Came back to mention Barry -- beautiful pic, Peter! And Jim... that's a cutie, too. I've successfully rescued one little bird after a storm by moving it out of the road. Lost another after driving it 15 miles to a bird clinic; didn't make it. Then, there was the time I actually had a BEAUTIFUL owl in my bathroom, which my daughter and her friend were bringing to the clinic (broken wing). I'd never seen an owl up so close!

Edited by bellowbelle