Dating Lachenal Concertinas - Serial Numbers/Descriptions

I can't remember if you already know this, but I used to own a Lachenal 'New Model' six-sided maccann duet, serial no. 1865.  It had six fold bellows (I think), raised dark wooden ends, 64 metal buttons (32 on each end, middle C up to G on the right end, left end exactly one octave lower).  I seem to remember being advised it was made about year 1896.

I was also told (by Colin Dipper) that it was somewhat unusual in having a riveted action.

It came with a (presumably original) Lachenal 'case' (more of a flimsy box actually), but it was in terrible condition so I had a new one made by Pete Grassby.

• 2 months later...

In the 1980s the legendary Northumbrian musician Foster Charlton gave me a Lachenal Anglo for use by my family ( I used to 'call' with his barn dance band). Both my son and I have played it ever since and it still plays beautifully. I suspect it comes from the factory when the family was still in charge ( possibly c 1871/2) with Elizabeth moving on in 1873. The Lachenal name is not on it but the number of the end is 90916  ( not 91606 as it looks from upside down - fortunately the 1 is clearly legible as being in the 90916 sequence). Am I correct about the dating and how rare is it to have such an instrument still tight and playing well?

Keith Gregson

Sunderland

Hi Keith,

Unfortunately the number you give would be estimated to be c.1886, which is 10-15 years too late to be a Louis or Elizabeth Lachenal. We'd expect Lachenal & Co without the trademark to be about 50,00 or less and Lachenals made by Louis or Elizabeth to be about 25,000 or less.

• 10 months later...

I’ve just found this damaged old concertina in my mothers loft I’d love to know it’s age . The bellows are completely apart on the inside it reads lachenal &co London 8 lit James st grays inn Rd wc. I can’t find any numbers although I’ve not looked on bellows as I’m not wanting to damage it more 

• 1 month later...

G'day from Australia, I am new to the forum but you all can see that anyway!😁

So Randy, or whom ever, is the request for Lachenal concertina information still standing?

I have just come into possession of one.

As you can understand, I would like to gather any info pertaining to this individual and, if the quest is still on, I presume someone would like to add it (or update it's whereabouts) to the list.

If I need pointing in the right direction regarding this matter, I accept all the help/correction any one is willing to give; which of course you would all hope a 'newbie' would be open to.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Randy started this thread, but has now retired from any action on this subject. I've taken over and a few other well known researcher members now have enough info to continue to answer dating questions if I'm not around. We need to know the serial number and the type (anglo/english/duet),number of buttons, wood or metal ends, etc. No personal details are ever stored.

G'day Wes,

Thanks for replying Wes, I was unsure about this thread being the age it is.

It would be great to receive any history already known about this EC, as I have always found history interesting (or is that historesting); greater still is when 'you' have something that has it's story to go with it. Truth is though, I would say my main purpose is to share the details with this work that you and others are carrying on, it really is because of Randy's request that I have pursued this thread.

48 button 'English' with wooden ends and what I reckon to be plastic buttons (they are clear).

Serial # 13469

A couple of photos to start. I will reduce the quality of 3 more shots and upload them as well.

Thanks again Wes, will await to see what you come up with including your thoughts about this 'individual'.

Kind regards,

Steve.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

8 hours ago, Aussie Reed Warbler said:

48 button 'English' with wooden ends and what I reckon to be plastic buttons (they are clear).

Serial # 13469

Almost certainly glass buttons, not plastic.  

Edited by Theo

From the data Wes has provided to me, 13469 looks to date around 1868 ish. The wood seems to Amboyna, the finger slides are unlikely to have been original. Of it's day, a top model, a 'Nonpareil' 

15 hours ago, d.elliott said:

From the data Wes has provided to me, 13469 looks to date around 1868 ish. The wood seems to Amboyna, the finger slides are unlikely to have been original. Of it's day, a top model, a 'Nonpareil'

Thanks David for the response.

Is there anything about this instrument recorded in the history information already gathered?

Kind regards,

Steve.

The discussion of Lachenal 2277 "AG Duet"

suggested that it had probably been made about 1904 and numbered in the McCann series before that was merged with the Crane series. However what is at present the last posting on that thread ( Sprunghub, Posted April 24, 2021) refers to a 'Date my Lachenal' thread which is "14 pages long". I have found two similar threads, this one, which is only two pages, and

which is only a single page. If someone can point me to the 14 page one that might pin down the date of 2277 a bit closer.

Edited by Richard Mellish
Two words were the wrong way round "point can".

Steve,

not really, what the researchers did was collect a series of Lachenal instrument data points as information on specific instruments randomly appeared. They then extrapolated between data points and constructed a time line, which in turn has been augmented by some catalogue information. The output is approximate +/- a couple of years and a bit generic. There are different number sequences for Anglos, Duets and English systems. No doubt more data will surface with time.

46 minutes ago, d.elliott said:

not really, what the researchers did was collect a series of Lachenal instrument data points as information on specific instruments randomly appeared. They then extrapolated between data points and constructed a time line, which in turn has been augmented by some catalogue information. The output is approximate +/- a couple of years and a bit generic. There are different number sequences for Anglos, Duets and English systems. No doubt more data will surface with time.

David,

O.K. Thanks again, I greatly appreciate the efforts to help and answer my questions.

I sincerely hope that letting you all know of this instruments whereabouts has been a benefit for the work at hand. As I mentioned earlier, for me history is of a great interest.

If I can find any thing else out from this end I will pass it on in case it is of worth to the project.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, Richard Mellish said:

The discussion of Lachenal 2277 "AG Duet"

suggested that it had probably been made about 1904 and numbered in the McCann series before that was merged with the Crane series. However what is at present the last posting on that thread ( Sprunghub, Posted April 24, 2021) refers to a 'Date my Lachenal' thread which is "14 pages long". I have found two similar threads, this one, which is only two pages, and

which is only a single page. If someone can point me to the 14 page one that might pin down the date of 2277 a bit closer.

Richard,

The thread you are looking for is in the "Concertina History" subforum: