Dating Lachenal Concertinas - Serial Numbers/Descriptions

The recent "The Edeophone" topic in the Discussion Forum for Concertina History turned to my appeal for Serial Numbers and accompanying Descriptions for all types of Lachenal concertinas, as input to a longstanding research project (Randy Merris, Chris Algar, and Wes Williams) on dating the manufacture/sale of individual Lachenal concertinas. As I noted in the other forum, our arbitrary benchmark is a database of 4,000 instruments, before starting on the drafting of the piece. As of today, we have serial numbers/descriptions for 3,901 instruments. Having collected the information over more than a decade, we are getting close.

My friend, Geoffrey Crabb, has suggested that I post an appeal for numbers/descriptions here in the General Discussion, which probably will receive more notice.

I am asking if you would be so kind as to provide information about Lachenals that you currently own, you previously owned, or know about (for example, that belong to friends). Please specify in addition to serial number and company label (Louis Lachenal or Lachenal & Co. if the label is available; or retailer label, if applicable):

1. Type (English, Anglo, or duet) and, for duets, Maccann or Crane system. Special system (for example, Jedcertina) if applicable.

2. Number of keys (excluding air button). Specialty buttons (bird call, baby cry, ets.) if applicable.

3. WE = Wood ends; ME = metal ends. Raised or flat ends. Specialty wood (for example, amboyna) if applicable.

4. BB = Bone buttons; MB = Metal buttons. Special-material buttons (for example, plastic or glass) if applicable.

5. Number of bellows folds: usually, 4-fold or 5-fold for English and 5-fold, 6-fold, or sometimes 7-fold for Anglos. Most commonly, 6-fold for duets. Please indicate if you think that the bellows are original or newer.

6. English Model: Edeophone, Inimitiable, Excelsior--if applicable.

7. English: bowing valves--if applicable.

6. Any other information--particularly, if there are any dates, names, or other information handwritten inside.

For Anglo concertinas: If you are reading the number through the fretwork on the left-side, please be careful not to miss a leading "1". We have received many 5-digit Anglo numbers that were really 6-digit serial numbers for which the leading "1" was missing. If possible, it is best to check the number inside the instrument. (if you are not familiar with removal of the end, contact me for help. It is a "breeze".

Your input would be very much appreciated--either as a reply to this posting or in an email to me at rmerris@merris.org.

Randy Merris

Edited by Dowright

s/n 37696, “LACHENAL & CO./PATENT CONCERTINA/MANUFACTURERS/LONDON” – label on printed paper with clear plastic cover all glued to open oval in fretwork, English system, 60 key extended treble - air levers on each side (push-rhs and pull-lhs), ME Raised, MB, 5-fold, model is presumably a ‘New Model’ – see photo on my profile page (I can provide you with sharp photos by email if requested. My email is on my profile page), standard valves only, the name ‘Robert S? Russell’ is stamped inside the bellows and on the back of the reed pans and action boards, + C&R Dipper stamp & Colin Dipper signature - repaired 1987, s/n is embossed onto the top of reed pans and discreetly on the action boards.

Randy,

Since Chris Algar is in the project team does that mean that Lachenals bought from or sold to Chris in recent years are already in the database?

Edited by Leonard

Randy,

Since Chris Algar is in the project team does that mean that Lachenals bought from or sold to Chris in recent years are already in the database?

I'm sure this is true .. in fact Chris Algar took details of DH's existing concertina (which we kept) when I bought another from him a few years ago.

Chris

I've a Lachenal that came from Chris Algar -- but a while ago so here are the details:

It's an Anglo, C/G. Small size, that is 5.3" A/F of its hexagonal ends. Metal ends. 26 metal buttons, flat topped. The right hand end has an oval label with "LACHENAL & Co PATENT CONCERTINA MANUFACTURER LONDON". Seven-fold bellows, black, quite heavy leather with papers. Papers are black with gold star pattern. Where the leather of the bellows overlap the ends it is gold embossed. The hand straps carry the same gold pattern. There's a serial number inside the bellows, it's hard to read but I think it's 166861.

In summary -- it's a very pretty little box and I'd like to know more about its history.

Chris

Assuming data from the "humble" end of the spectrum is of any use.

All these appear to have original bellows, all C/G.

Anglo 149000 "Lachenal & Co, Patent Concertina Manufacturers London"

20 WE(Mahogany) BB(5.6mm) 5F

Anglo 63982 Label as above

20 WE(Rosewood) BB(6.6mm) 5F

Anglo 191602 No label but Lachenal woodwork stamps, Label "hole" is a vertical oval. Bought this one from New Zealand

26 WE(Mahogany) BB(5.6mm) 6F

Anglo 193110 Lachenal label as above

20 WE(Mahogany) BB(5.6mm) 5F In a leather rectangular case with a label Harry Boy(er?) Musical Instruments Newcastle upon Tyne

Anglo 193110 Lachenal label as above

label Harry Boy(er?) Musical Instruments Newcastle upon Tyne

Most probably Harry Boyd, the music shopkeeper who specified the highly renowned "H Boyd" branded concertinas from both Lachenal and Wheatstone.

• 9 years later...
On 7/23/2010 at 12:00 AM, Dowright said:

The recent "The Edeophone" topic in the Discussion Forum for Concertina History turned to my appeal for Serial Numbers and accompanying Descriptions for all types of Lachenal concertinas, as input to a longstanding research project (Randy Merris, Chris Algar, and Wes Williams) on dating the manufacture/sale of individual Lachenal concertinas. As I noted in the other forum, our arbitrary benchmark is a database of 4,000 instruments, before starting on the drafting of the piece. As of today, we have serial numbers/descriptions for 3,901 instruments. Having collected the information over more than a decade, we are getting close.

My friend, Geoffrey Crabb, has suggested that I post an appeal for numbers/descriptions here in the General Discussion, which probably will receive more notice.

I am asking if you would be so kind as to provide information about Lachenals that you currently own, you previously owned, or know about (for example, that belong to friends). Please specify in addition to serial number and company label (Louis Lachenal or Lachenal & Co. if the label is available; or retailer label, if applicable):

1. Type (English, Anglo, or duet) and, for duets, Maccann or Crane system. Special system (for example, Jedcertina) if applicable.

2. Number of keys (excluding air button). Specialty buttons (bird call, baby cry, ets.) if applicable.

3. WE = Wood ends; ME = metal ends. Raised or flat ends. Specialty wood (for example, amboyna) if applicable.

4. BB = Bone buttons; MB = Metal buttons. Special-material buttons (for example, plastic or glass) if applicable.

5. Number of bellows folds: usually, 4-fold or 5-fold for English and 5-fold, 6-fold, or sometimes 7-fold for Anglos. Most commonly, 6-fold for duets. Please indicate if you think that the bellows are original or newer.

6. English Model: Edeophone, Inimitiable, Excelsior--if applicable.

7. English: bowing valves--if applicable.

6. Any other information--particularly, if there are any dates, names, or other information handwritten inside.

For Anglo concertinas: If you are reading the number through the fretwork on the left-side, please be careful not to miss a leading "1". We have received many 5-digit Anglo numbers that were really 6-digit serial numbers for which the leading "1" was missing. If possible, it is best to check the number inside the instrument. (if you are not familiar with removal of the end, contact me for help. It is a "breeze".

Your input would be very much appreciated--either as a reply to this posting or in an email to me at rmerris@merris.org.

Randy Merris

I have a Lachenal & Co Edeophone with 6fold bellows and 48 metal buttons, serial no. 54643 and would love to know the date of manufacture if possible. Thank you, Sheila.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

I own a 48 key Lachenal for which I would love to have a manufacturing date.

It's English, 48 key, ME flat metal ends, steel reeds, MB metal buttons, 5 fold bellows which appear to be original.

The number 24122 stamped into the wood frame on both the left and right side, as well as on the reed pan . The badge is missing.

Thanks!

Ed

IMG_2335-sm.JPG

I recently purchased a 48-key English "Louis Lachenal" ("...Patent concertina manufacturer London") concertina, serial # 18206. It appears to be "budget construction" (less decoration than other models I've seen). Wood ends, metal buttons, 5 bellows folds. Very playable (though I'm a novice). One leather strap appears very old & about to break; the other looks good, slightly newer(?) & if so is a good match. A good velvet-lined wooden box was made for it by the previous owner, so not the original box. I'm wondering when it might have been made & am guessing perhaps between 1870 & 1873?

Louis Lachenal Concertina #18206 48 key English.jpg

Edited by Teresa McNeil MacLean
added image

Hi. here’s another one:

S/N 58269
Label: “Lachenal & Co.
       Patent Concertina
       Manufacturers
         London”
English
56 button
WE, Raised, black finish
MB
Bellows: 6-fold, appear original.
Original case is long gone. Currently in a fitted case from The Button Box.
Purchased in 1993 from The Button Box.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently found a thread on concertina.net requesting owner information on old instruments. I have a Lachenal English concertina, 12 sided, raised black wood (ebony?) ends, 48 metal buttons, six fold bellows, serial #37708. The oval label on one end says “Lachenal & Co., Patent Concertina, Manufacturers, London. I don’t know how much of the internal workings are original and how much has been reworked; I bought it from a used instrument vendor around 1985.
Hope this is of interest and helps in your research.

• 5 months later...

Hi , I have a Lachenal that has been in my family for a number of years , I would love to know the date it was made ? 

I think it is mahogany , also have the original  box 

Number is printed on paper label inside an oval   127594 

STEEL REEDS 

English Made and Trade Mark are carved into the wooden handle 

16 buttons plus air button ? on each side , they look ivory coloured not sure whether bone or plastic ? 

Lachenal & Co Patent Concertina  Manufacturers London is printed on a paper label inside an oval ?