What is traditional riveted action?

I have seen this term and am wondering if anyone can explain it or at least help lead me to something to read about it.

StevenD

I have seen this term and am wondering if anyone can explain it or at least help lead me to something to read about it.

Concertinas have a system of levers to allow you to push a button down to make a pad lift up to allow air to go past a reed. Every lever has to have a pivot point somewhere between the button and the pad. In a riveted action, the pivot point is a little post. The lever is attached to the post by a rivet, which allows the lever to move freely but with a minimum of noise and extraneous movement.

Be aware that the riveted action shown in those pics is not the traditional one. The slotted posts are not traditional. (They may be better than the traditional one-sided posts, but they're different from them.) I don't have a link to a pic of a traditional rivet post handy - I may have a chance to look for one later if no one else posts one.

Be aware that the riveted action shown in those pics is not the traditional one. The slotted posts are not traditional. (They may be better than the traditional one-sided posts, but they're different from them.) I don't have a link to a pic of a traditional rivet post handy - I may have a chance to look for one later if no one else posts one.

Hi StevenD and Daniel

I completely missed the "traditional" word. Daniels right. This one should be closer to the "traditional riveted action". It's the closest I've been able to find: http://www.concertinaconnection.com/jackie-jack.htm

At least, that's what the caption says.

Thanks

Leo

Hi

Regarding Leo's first pic link - if you look at the Wheatstone patent drawings there appears to be a drawing showing the slotted pillar type of action. I've seen an early Wheatstone from around 1844 with that action. Scates used the same action, as did Nickolds. It also appeared in a Case baritone (tho' that may have been made by Scates)

chris

upon reading the title, my immediate, tongue in cheek response was:

q: what is traditional riveted action

a: not as good as the carroll adjustable screw mechanism ( cf. here)

in all seriousness, everyone else did a good job answering your question. riveted is not ALWAYS best, but it is a great place to start. frank edgley's hook mechanism is fast, and i love carroll's adjustable mechanism, cuz i like me some adjustin'.

I could have sworn there were better pictures available, and it haunted me enough to keep looking until I found this site:

http://www.accordionmagic.com/congallery.html

It's the one I remembered, but don't remember how I found it the first time. I should have bookmarked it then, but I have now. Within it are these Jeffries pictures, and lots more of different actions:

http://www.accordionmagic.com/albums/Jeffries2/index.html

I hate failing memory stuff. I'm told it's the second thing to go.

Thanks

Leo