Jeffries 30 button for sale

Schnefsky

Hi all, I have come into possession of a C Jeffries 30 button concertina ( It's actually Bb/F). It is in playable condition and is the 1890s model. It is in quite reasonable condition on the exterior, has no major damage, and all the reeds appear to play in tune. I am taking it to a restorer this weekend for an opinion. I intend to sell it on Ebay very soon. Can you please give me an opinion: should I have it rstored, or sell "as is" so that the new owner gets it restored according to their taste. Would I get more "profit" by restoring it, or leaving it original? I am a piano accordion player, and although thios is a fascinating instrument, I will never learn how to play it, so it should go to a good person. I would like to maximise my earnings to spend the earnings on another accordion...you understand. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Schnefsky

In the event you want to make a quick sale....make it available to Concertina.net members first. Several of the members are concertina repairmen/technicians. Take several photos of the interior and the exterior of the concertina...especially the reedpan...and post it on this forum. We would like to know whether or not this concertina actually exists. Alternatively, identify your location, whether in the UK or in the USA so that any of the members of this forum may visit with you to give you advice and give other members of this forum info. with regards to the condition of the concertina.

Make sure that the repairman that you are going to visit is not a backyard mechanic or 3/8" carpenter who may damage this delicate instrument. Reputable repairmen, technicians and builders are not going to restore or refurbish your concertina in one day's time or a weekend. It can take months or half a year at least depending on the restorer's work load. A proper tune up by a reputable concertina technician can cost you up to GBP 700.00 or USD 1,200.00 (I have have gone through the processs recently).

If you need references to excellent repairman in the U.S.A., Canada, UK, Australia then a list can be given to you privately.

In the event you want to make a quick sale....make it available to Concertina.net members first. Several of the members are concertina repairmen/technicians. Take several photos of the interior and the exterior of the concertina...especially the reedpan...and post it on this forum. We would like to know whether or not this concertina actually exists. Alternatively, identify your location, whether in the UK or in the USA so that any of the members of this forum may visit with you to give you advice and give other members of this forum info. with regards to the condition of the concertina.

Make sure that the repairman that you are going to visit is not a backyard mechanic or 3/8" carpenter who may damage this delicate instrument. Reputable repairmen, technicians and builders are not going to restore or refurbish your concertina in one day's time or a weekend. It can take months or half a year at least depending on the restorer's work load. A proper tune up by a reputable concertina technician can cost you up to GBP 700.00 or USD 1,200.00 (I have have gone through the processs recently).

If you need references to excellent repairman in the U.S.A., Canada, UK, Australia then a list can be given to you privately.

thanks Ben, I will post pics in a few days, probably Sunday. I'm located in Ontario, Canada near Toronto.I will also attempt to upload it to Youtube. My initial feeling is to put it up for sale as is, unless restoring it will exponentially increase the value. My email is accman7@hotmail.com if anyone wants pics sent privately, or want to discuss or send advise offline. Geoff

It is actually a tricky decision whether to restore or not before sale. In principle, restoring a concertina only increases its value by at most the cost of the restoration, because anyone else can buy that restoration too. But, exactly as you say, if you restore it in a way that happens not to be exactly what the purchaser wants, then some of your restoration expenditure may be nugatory.

But on the other hand, the difficulty of selling a concertina unrestored is how effectively you can communicate exactly what its condition is to people who may not be able to hold it in their hands. People might fear that it is in a worse condition than it appears, and so fear the expense of restoring it might be much worse than it really is. At the very least, you need to be able to take the ends off to photograph the reed pans and actions so people can judge its condition. But by getting it restored yourself, you (apparently) remove that risk. On the other hand, there have been cases of "restored" concertinas that have been botched. If you do get it restored to sell, it is essential to go to a reputable restorer who you can then name so purchasers obtain reassurance it has been done properly.

I have sent you a PM (personal Message) to advise of a reputable concertina repairman/technician who lives not too far from you. This gentleman has done great restoration work on several Jeffries concertinas. I have personally seen the "before" and "after" product. (I get no commission from the recommendation, only satisfaction that a concertina will receive the best care).

Sorry about the double post.

I would say that is a Bb/F instrument,not C/G as is stated on youtube.

JM

schnefsky,

if it's a Bb/F, it's possibly worth more (but potentially harder to sell). definitely test this against one of your PA's that is in tune. first finger button, middle row, on right hand should be a C. if it is a Bb, then it is in Bb/F. it's too late at my house to verify pitch, but i'd trust jim and double check it yourself.

Hi, yes I believe you're right Jim and David, I now believe it's a Bb/F. The reed plates are marked as follows, starting from the reed just above the air release hole and going clockwise (outside/inside): A/Bb, Db/B, F/F#, C/D, ab/B, C/G, A/D, Eb/E?, D/F, G/Bb, Bb/c, Eb/F, G/A, E/F, B/C# . (I may have misread one or two). I will be posting some pics soon.

Geoff

I have posted some pictures at : schnefsky-accordionman.blogspot.com. I look forward to any comments. I will consider offers at any time, and hope to post on Ebay on Sunday. I am located close to Toronto Canada if you want to visit. email: accman7@hotmail.com Thanks

Hi all interested members. I have had Paul Read in Toronto look at this concertina. He will provide me with a statement regarding its condition in the near future that I will post, but said that members can contact him for an opinion by email. It appears this Jeffries is Bb/F, has a drone key. is in original unrestored condition, has original tuning, and is in generally very good shape. Paul played some very nice tunes and made it sound great. He says the action and response is fast. The bellows is worn in places but probably could be repaired. Reeds are very good condition, best that can be expected, although could be retuned due to age. One button sticks sometimes. Pads , seals, etc need overhaul due to age. I gather it's one of the best "in original condition" ones that he has seen. Please contact him if you are serious about making an offer to get his feedback. I will wait until Sunday for offers, and if the highest offer is reasonable, I will conclude the sale, otherwise i will put it on ebay Sunday night EST. Paypal is preferred, although I will consider other forms of direct payment. There may be a problem with shipping insurance for the full value, please advise if you have knowledge of best shipping method, because I cannot be responsible for lost or damaged once it's shipped. Any questions please email. In case anyone wants to travel to Toronto Canada I will give a good discount for cash payment on pick-up, plus we can enjoy a Guinness while I watch you play a few tunes. Cheers!

Geoff

Edited by Schnefsky