Lachenal - F/C

I notice the Button Box have an F/C Lachenal for sale just now.

I'm curious .. are there many F/C Anglo boxes out there?

This one is described as "High", so do you reckon that means the notes will be almost up there in the Dogs Only register? ;)

Cheers

Dick

This one is described as "High", so do you reckon that means the notes will be almost up there in the Dogs Only register? ;)

Maybe it means "high pitch," as in, above A440, but still approximately a fifth below a C/G box.

Hm, maybe not though, if it's 5-7/8" across.

Edited by Boney

Maybe it means "high pitch," as in, above A440, but still approximately a fifth below a C/G box.

Good point.

I've written to them for clarification, but if you are correct, then perhaps this could also be described as a low G/D Box! ;)

Which would perhaps make more sense, since surely there were a lot more G/D boxes produced than F/C boxes. :unsure:

Cheers

Dick

It has been on their list for several weeks. My assumption was that Doug was indicating that it is piccolo range, in which case I should add it to my ancient article on anglo keys.

Ken

I had a Lachenal Anglo in F/C, but is was a baritone. F/C is a very nice key combination. For an oversize instrument, it is so very playable. The low-note reeds were not slow staring, as with some large reeds. Almost the feel of playing a regular size C/G. I'll stop here before I psych myself to repurchase it.

I have a Lachenal F/C baritone. Actually, there was some discussion a couple of years ago over this, the argument being that as there isn't an instrument an octave higher it couldn't strictly speaking be a baritone. So far as I am concerned, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....if this one turns out to be a "piccolo" instrument I'll feel vindicated, although I suspect it simply means higher than modern concert pitch.

My F/C has a lovely sound, and the long reeds give it a very different character from my G/D although it's only a tone lower. It's great for singing. Unfortunately I don't get to take it out as often as I should as I'm already carrying far too much.

I have a Lachenal F/C baritone. Actually, there was some discussion a couple of years ago over this, the argument being that as there isn't an instrument an octave higher it couldn't strictly speaking be a baritone. So far as I am concerned, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....if this one turns out to be a "piccolo" instrument I'll feel vindicated, although I suspect it simply means higher than modern concert pitch.

My F/C has a lovely sound, and the long reeds give it a very different character from my G/D although it's only a tone lower. It's great for singing. Unfortunately I don't get to take it out as often as I should as I'm already carrying far too much.

Interesting! I wonder, have you posted any Videos or MP3s of this beastie in action? ;)

As for your comment: ... "already carrying far too much." I know the feeling, but in my case, it's around my waist! :(

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

I just heard from Rebecca at The Button Box & she had this to say:

The "high" does not mean it's sharp of concert pitch; it's that it's a higher range.

Specifically, the C row is an octave higher than the C row on a C/G.

It's a nice little player, according to our manager, who plays Anglo.

So now we know!

So, I guess that does make it a Piccolo, after all?

Thanks Rebecca.

Cheers

Dick

And I could have added, my assumption was motivated by the experience that I've never known BBox to sell an anglo that is not in A440 that I can recall. If they did, I am reasonably sure they would flag it as such...Doug C. knows all of us and our typical demands as players/purchasers very well after all these years - his mission is to offer saleable instruments, after all. The small size also suggested piccolo range rather than the lower octave, whatever you want to call it (a debate on that very well worn topic probably belongs in its own thread).

Ken

And I could have added, my assumption was motivated by the experience that I've never known BBox to sell an anglo that is not in A440 that I can recall. If they did, I am reasonably sure they would flag it as such...Doug C. knows all of us and our typical demands as players/purchasers very well after all these years - his mission is to offer saleable instruments, after all. The small size also suggested piccolo range rather than the lower octave, whatever you want to call it (a debate on that very well worn topic probably belongs in its own thread).

Ken

Rightly or wrongly, and just to muddy the water, I usually describe a G/D as a tenor....

MC

(wearing tin hat)

Edited by malcolm clapp

The "high" does not mean it's sharp of concert pitch; it's that it's a higher range.

Specifically, the C row is an octave higher than the C row on a C/G.

Wow! That must attract dogs and bats from miles around :)