My Dipper will arrive in just 4 months!

After many years waiting for it, finally a very welcome email from Colin and Rosalie informed me my concertina was well on the way. Colin told me it will be very similar to the model he made for Claire Keville (if someone have a good pic of her concertina would love to see... her clips on youtube are so dark)

The instrument is in a dark red/brown hardwood (I dont know if the sides will be in metal or in wood, dont want to bother Colin asking for details, is enough to me will sound like a Dipper afterall!)

I'm writing becouse Colin asked me if I desire 30 or 34 buttons... so far I played on a 30 buttons concertina, and I dont know if I really need those extra notes... someone can drop me some suggestion?

Thx

Dario

After many years waiting for it, finally a very welcome email from Colin and Rosalie informed me my concertina was well on the way. Colin told me it will be very similar to the model he made for Claire Keville (if someone have a good pic of her concertina would love to see... her clips on youtube are so dark)

The instrument is in a dark red/brown hardwood (I dont know if the sides will be in metal or in wood, dont want to bother Colin asking for details, is enough to me will sound like a Dipper afterall!)

I'm writing becouse Colin asked me if I desire 30 or 34 buttons... so far I played on a 30 buttons concertina, and I dont know if I really need those extra notes... someone can drop me some suggestion?

Thx

Dario

Can't help you with your dilemma regarding how many buttons to order as I've only played 20 and 30b concertinas. However, just wanted to offer you congratulations that your wait is nearly over. I'm sure the next 4 months will seem to go by slowly. What are you playing in the meantime?

...What are you playing in the meantime?

Playing anything which beats FAST (and it is Irish):-)

Dario, I would suggest asking for 34 buttons rather than just 30 buttons. A few extra buttons on a Dipper concertina is not going to weigh it down by much. You will be left with a few more buttons and notes to experiment with giving you more options and range. Congratulations! I hope that you will be able to post a picture of your Dipper when you receive it. I hope to hear from Colin too....sometime in the Fall/Autumn. He is building me a 40 button C/G anglo with Amboyna Burl veneer....something similar to Peter Trimming's Dipper.

Hi Dario,

Colin gave me the same choice last year. I opted for the 34 buttons and left it to his expertise to decide the notes. He asked what kind of music I play and chose notes based on what professionals in that type of music have asked for. I haven't used them yet but can definitely see the potential for them in the future - one on the left hand side is E/F# in the opposite direction to what's available, and that looks like it will be very useful indeed once I get used to it.

Indeed I was afraid for the extra weight, thank you for the tips (and for the congratulation :-) )

I was wondering... with so many Dipper concertina around (20 at year I've read) where are all the pics of them? I just saw very few and will love to see more... anyhow I'll surely add mine once will arrive, stay tuned.

Edited by Dario

Hello Dario

I don't think it is a bother to Mr. Dipper to ask for specific preferences on your custom made concertina. That is what he does.

Considering wooden or metal ends, that will make a big difference in how the instrument will sound. How the instrument turns out doesn't need to be left to chance while you have an opportunity to express all your preferences before the instrument is made.

Richard

Here's a picture of my Dipper - finished 1984 - together with my Wakker A6 (F/C) finished last year. They are both very fine instruments and get better as time goes by.

Gorgeous fretwork!!

Thank you for sharing.

Greg

Hello Dario

I don't think it is a bother to Mr. Dipper to ask for specific preferences on your custom made concertina. That is what he does.

Considering wooden or metal ends, that will make a big difference in how the instrument will sound. How the instrument turns out doesn't need to be left to chance while you have an opportunity to express all your preferences before the instrument is made.

Richard

Thank you Richard, indeed I explained Mr Colin long ago which was my preferneces and he is already going with wood ends.

Here's a picture of my Dipper - finished 1984 - together with my Wakker A6 (F/C) finished last year. They are both very fine instruments and get better as time goes by.

It is a really amazing piece of art! Congratulation

I notice that the Dipper has side fretwork. Does that have any significant effect on the sound?

Edited by Jim Albea

Gorgeous fretwork!!

Thank you for sharing.

Greg

i agree. truly stunning fretwork.

The concertina was made as an instrument primarily for morris, and Colin designed it to be loud. The side fretwork helps with this. The fretwork - by the way - was all cut by hand by Rosalie, who also made the bellows. Scan Tester played a Crabb which had open fretwork on the sides - I belive that is now owned by Will Duke.

He is building me a 40 button C/G anglo with Amboyna Burl veneer....something similar to Peter Trimming's Dipper.

... which dates from 1999.

I know very well that instrument... u amused me many times on youtube, Thanks for sharing!

I just spent a week at the Catskills Irish Arts in East Durham, NY, and tried a couple of different concertinas. I used to be left salivating after trying other people's concertinas, before I had the Dipper... but let me tell you that nothing came close to my County Clare Dipper this time!

My friends would have a good laugh at me because I would basically never leave the instrument by itself. I would always bring it with me everywhere, take it out of the car, put it under the table at restaurants, etc... at one point I had to leave it on the river bank while swimming and I almost had withdrawal syndrome :lol:

I'd say the four extra buttons are a must in the long run. I am mostly only using the push F# and pull E on the left side so far, but I'm pretty sure in a few years I'll be using most of the extra buttons/notes. The only problem with this is that when I try a 30 buttons, or any concertina with another layout, I become very confused :(