How to control volume

LoiS-sez

I want to use my concertina sometimes with my storytelling programs. I've been working on a song "Take me out to the circus" to the tune of "Take me out to the ballgame." The only problem is that some of the song is overpowered by the volume of my concertina. On other instruments there are ways to control the volume or to muffle it. Is there 1 on the concertina that I'm missing?

I don't want to use a mike for my singing because the place where I'll be telling is fairly small, so storytelling will be told without one. All the more reason I'd like my concertina a bit quieter.

LoiS(inging loudly, but. . . )

The only problem is that some of the song is overpowered by the volume of my concertina. On other instruments there are ways to control the volume or to muffle it. Is there 1 on the concertina that I'm missing?

Hi Lois,

Subtle use of the air valve, if possible on your instrument, could help you overcome the problem. Allowing some air to leak in/out, via the valve, means that less will flow over the reeds. I never did manage to co-ordinate singing/playing, but accompanied a few singers.

Regards,

Peter.

Hmmmmm. I've a week until the gig & am uncertain if I can manage this as I'm still very much a beginner on concertina, but it's worth a try.

LoiS(till hopeful a way to do an overall muting exists)

The only problem is that some of the song is overpowered by the volume of my concertina. On other instruments there are ways to control the volume or to muffle it. Is there 1 on the concertina that I'm missing?

Hi Lois,

Subtle use of the air valve, if possible on your instrument, could help you overcome the problem. Allowing some air to leak in/out, via the valve, means that less will flow over the reeds. I never did manage to co-ordinate singing/playing, but accompanied a few singers.

Regards,

Peter.

I want to use my concertina sometimes with my storytelling programs. I've been working on a song "Take me out to the circus" to the tune of "Take me out to the ballgame." The only problem is that some of the song is overpowered by the volume of my concertina. On other instruments there are ways to control the volume or to muffle it. Is there 1 on the concertina that I'm missing?

I don't want to use a mike for my singing because the place where I'll be telling is fairly small, so storytelling will be told without one. All the more reason I'd like my concertina a bit quieter.

LoiS(inging loudly, but. . . )

I have no difficulty in playing my Anglo extremely quietly by using minimum bellows pressure and delicate arm control alone. Like all such things it comes with practice but I guess that, for various reasons, not all instruments are capable of this ? The sensitivity of the reeds must play a large part ?

I have no difficulty in playing my Anglo extremely quietly by using minimum bellows pressure and delicate arm control alone. Like all such things it comes with practice but I guess that, for various reasons, not all instruments are capable of this? The sensitivity of the reeds must play a large part?

Some are less sensitive, but once started, the reeds tend to keep going even under low pressure. You can try starting a note or chord at normal volume, then almost immediately taking practically all pressure off the bellows. You might need to simplify your arrangement with longer tones to get this to work well. But, the "limitations" of an instrument often lead to interesting and creative sounds that you wouldn't otherwise discover!

• Like 1

Some are less sensitive, but once started, the reeds tend to keep going even under low pressure. You can try starting a note or chord at normal volume, then almost immediately taking practically all pressure off the bellows.

Yea, it's good suggestion. It's like I was playing my Jack (Baritone). It feels like "whacking" your instrument and then quickly letting go off the ends. It may result in "squacking" kind of sound, but in the same time will give more of a rhythm.

What beginners do is when they sing louder, they squeeze bellows stronger. No variations of brain functions yet.

Like patting yourself on the head while rubbing belly.

It will come (or not) with practice. And I also agree with having presence in your voice. If the voice is muffled, used to mike, then there is no hope. But if you stand 3 feet away from the mike and SEND your voice to the furthest listener.

Some are less sensitive, but once started, the reeds tend to keep going even under low pressure. You can try starting a note or chord at normal volume, then almost immediately taking practically all pressure off the bellows.

Yea, it's good suggestion. It's like I was playing my Jack (Baritone). It feels like "whacking" your instrument and then quickly letting go off the ends. It may result in "squacking" kind of sound, but in the same time will give more of a rhythm.

What beginners do is when they sing louder, they squeeze bellows stronger. No variations of brain functions yet.

It will come (or not) with practice. And I also agree with having presence in your voice. If the voice is muffled, used to mike, then there is no hope. But if you stand 3 feet away from the mike and SEND your voice to the furthest listener.

Hi all you experienced players who sing,

1. As a storyteller I tend toward the strong side of vocal volume, so I'm fortunate there & have indeed been working with that. I find the ends of my singing vocal range are where I feel the least volume on my own part. No time to transpose, so that's a given.
  2. I'm appreciative of the suggestions about cutting back on my 'tina's wind. It's helping. As was said, it's too natural to squeeze stronger when singing louder. The discussion has been a help to make me aware of this. THANKS!
  3. I was surprised to find, when I put "volume" in the Forum's search box, this wasn't a topic previously discussed. I'm sure I won't be the last to need this information.

LoiS(o feel free to add anything furthering this topic as it clearly merits discussion!)

Hi

have you thought about external baffles. I believe Danny Chapman (ratface) has used them on his concertina (sorry can't remember which thread) I think they were held in place with velcro

chris

Hi

have you thought about external baffles. I believe Danny Chapman (ratface) has used them on his concertina (sorry can't remember which thread) I think they were held in place with velcro

chris

This is the other aspect of this topic that I think needs exploring. Concertinas sometimes need playing in hotels, apartments, & other locations where people might need to know ways to reduce the volume while practicing.

Dunno if I can get Danny Chapman (ratface) to say more here, but I'll certainly try.

LoiS(ounds like an option to explore)

What I use for playing in hotels, home late at night, and settings where I want to be unobtrusive, but still want to play is a Wheatstone tutor from 1851 with brass reeds and its original spruce baffles. It is the quietest concertina I've run across (I also have a model 21, the loudest concertina I've run across). Because of the brass reeds and the low volume on can get one of these for quite a bit less than other vintage concertinas. Consider it an excuse to expand your collection. In that era we are talking EC; I don't know if there is a similar solution if you play anglo.

What Boney says "You can try starting a note or chord at normal volume, then almost immediately taking practically all pressure off the bellows". That's a really good technique anyway - shaping each note.

Also, when accompanying avoiding playing the note that you're singing will help, and generally one/two notes rather than thick chords (this is probably rather obvious!).

As for the "baffles" - photo here and videos, e.g.

I made them out of MDF, sculpted slightly on the inside so that the fit more snuggly over the raised concertina ends, and attached with sticky-backed velcro (which, after using it for many years, I find leaves no permanent mark on the concertina ends). It's been pointed out that MDF is particularly noxious to work with, so if you use that make sure you cut it somewhere with lots of ventilation, or use something else.

Oh - this thread is in the wrong forum. You should ask a moderator to move it...

Sometimes a topic is hard to figure its place. What's the forum better suited to this topic so more people can find it?

LoiS(ins of a Newbie)

Oh - this thread is in the wrong forum. You should ask a moderator to move it...

Sometimes a topic is hard to figure its place. What's the forum better suited to this topic so more people can find it?

LoiS(ins of a Newbie)

The confusion is that this is the forum for Questions, Suggestions, Help about the forum, not a forum for Questions, Suggestions, Help about concertina!

It should probably go in the Teaching and Learning forum, or maybe just the general one. I doubt if many people ever look in this forum (I don't!).

LoiS(ins of a Newbie)

The confusion is that this is the forum for Questions, Suggestions, Help about the forum, not a forum for Questions, Suggestions, Help about concertina!

It should probably go in the Teaching and Learning forum, or maybe just the general one. I doubt if many people ever look in this forum (I don't!).

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. Wish the listing of topics made that a bit clearer when I was casting about for which Forum to post this topic.

LoiS(ending this request about the topic, but also hope the forum purposes might be clarified exactly as you did here)

You can learn to play quietly but it seems to be an advanced skill that only the best players

manage. You could have either internal or external (removable) baffles fitted. Do an Internet

search for 'concertina baffles, to get some information.