The Rights of Man

Priscilla

I'm a slow beginner on Anglo C/G Lachenal and this weekend a friend helped me learn the tune The Rights of Man, and I love it!! It's a really good tune for beginners, because you can pick it up quickly and it sounds wonderful. I'm going now every week to an Irish session in Audubon NJ and it really helps motivate me to learn new tunes. Anyone else fall in love with the tune for The Rights of Man?! I just can't stop playing it. : )

It's a lovely tune, certainly, and I like it as much or more now than I did when I learned it several decades ago.

A propos of which... I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm in any way BUT be aware that this is one of a large handful of tunes that could be classed as beginner's favourites. This means that people who are just a little way beyond the beginner stage will often be somewhat, er, less enthusiastic about them. Not because they aren't good tunes, but because one hears them everywhere being played by, um, beginners.

Once people get a long way beyond the beginner stage they will mostly be happy to play a good tune at any time and with anyone. So carry on playing the Rights of Man, and loving it, but... be aware. :)

Thanks for the warning! I *really* don't want to get on people's nerves. I suspect I'll stay a beginner all my life, enthusiastic about things other people shake their heads about. I'm the youngest in my family, so I'm used to everyone around me being much better at everything than I. My brother used to play Piping Tim of Galway on the harmonica when I was small, and I thought it the most beautiful tune in the world. Today I still love it. Ah, the simple things in life. Nothing tastes as good as simple bread and butter (real butter), and two glasses of wine don't taste better than one. I know I drive the people I live with crazy practicing my simple tunes over and over. Torturing them. It's okay because they torture me too. I'd never have the nerve to play The Rights of Man solo at the Irish session I go to, I'm just way too slow, and not all that ambitious truth be known. But thanks for your feedback!

I agree - the tune is nice and if this kind of tune is your favorit, you tend to play it over and over again. Maybe this changes if you learn more tunes?

Another beautiful tune I tended to keep playing on the anglo (when I started to play anglo) is called the lads of laoise

Learn more tunes brings more variation... ;)