annetje got 18

Marien

Here is an old dutch tune from 1700. Original dots are in 4/4.

"Annetje was achttien jaren"

post-1783-12779171041796_thumb.jpg

To me this has another feel, but could this be a hornpipe?

Marien

See below for abc scores

===============================

X:472

T:Annetie was achtien jaren

B:Oude en Nieuwe Hollantse Boeren Lieties en Contredansen - Sesde Deel

M:C

K:Ddor

d2e2~^c2A2|f2g2a2A2|d2e2f2gf|~e3dd4|d^cde~^c2A2|fefga2A2|

d^cde fagf|~e3dd4|a2d2g2c2|f2~e2f4|c2_BcA2a2|~g3ff4|

d^cdef2a2|gfed~^c2A2|f2a2gagf|~e3dd4|a2dag2cg|f2~e2f4|

c_BcA defg|~g3ff4|d^cdef2a2|gfed~^c2A2|fgaA gafg|~e3dd4|]

That's a kontradans (contredanse), usually one or two treble instruments (e.g. violins or sometimes also brass instruments of that period) playing the melody and accompagned by harpsichord or viola da gamba who played 'basso continuo'. This was the popular dance music in the 18th century. In the 'Hollantse Boerenlieties' manuscript, only the melodies are given. In other manuscripts of that time, sometimes the bassline and/or basso continuo notation was also present, e.g in: 'Gentse Contradansen' or 'De Gruijtter manuscript' found in Belgium and dating from the same period. Although it was not uncommon to play 'boring' melodies dotted to make them more interesting, in this case I would play this one straight. This is the time before polka, waltz, mazurka, schottisch and even hornpipe were not born yet...

That's a kontradans (contredanse), usually one or two treble instruments (e.g. violins or sometimes also brass instruments of that period) playing the melody and accompagned by harpsichord or viola da gamba who played 'basso continuo'. This was the popular dance music in the 18th century. In the 'Hollantse Boerenlieties' manuscript, only the melodies are given. In other manuscripts of that time, sometimes the bassline and/or basso continuo notation was also present, e.g in: 'Gentse Contradansen' or 'De Gruijtter manuscript' found in Belgium and dating from the same period. Although it was not uncommon to play 'boring' melodies dotted to make them more interesting, in this case I would play this one straight. This is the time before polka, waltz, mazurka, schottisch and even hornpipe were not born yet...

Michel,

Thanks again for the links.

I agree that it is a contredans, but the word contredans as used in hollantsche boerenlieties (and also in your links) is quite a general description for many variations of country dances of that time in flanders and the netherlands. To my idea, the interesting part is how these tunes are related to differrent dances, and also how they are related to (for example) waltzes and horn pipes.

There are clearly tunes that come very close to a waltz, a mazurka or a horn pipe. Although there is no reference in that time to a horn pipe, I think there were dances going that direction. These are mostly 6/4 and not 4/4. As for the waltz and the mazurka - there is no reference to a waltz or mazurka (that old) but some tunes are clearly 3/4 and very suitable to dance the waltz and some even have a regognisable mazurka nature.

Here is such a 6/4 dutch jig of which I think it is one of those that developed to a hornpipe.

post-1783-12779786251529_thumb.jpg

Among the contredances in various sources there are clearly different dances such as jigs, slip jigs, bourrees, branles, menuets and rigoudons. The manuscripts and early prints give the idea of a very lively musical tradition with a lot of fast dances and a lot of dance occasions. These include remains of dance parties that were not really promoted by the establishment and took place in theaters, pubs and clubs. "Decent" people were not expected to visit these "pagan" happenings. In Holland it wasn't rare (back then) that federals were put out of their job when they had visited such a "scandalous" dance party. It is a shame that many tune books in that time were destroyed by the church - like in Ireland. It is this partly destroyed old music which I think is much more interesting than the slow psalms where the same melodies have been used for, or the "formal" dull performances for the court of the prince of orange. Behind these signs of sleepy music there is another world of music for pubs, clubs and dance feasts. Most of the things that are left may be compared with recoprdings of Charlie Parker when he had to play his bebop "the white way" for the radio companies. But there are enough tunes that sing their own song while you play them. It is fun to find old tunes that invite you to play them with fire...