swing musette on concertina

tona

Hi,

I try since quite a long time to play accordion swing waltz on concertina (In french, we call that style of music "swing musette"...Tony Murena, Gus Viseur, Jo Privat...)

Here is a recording test... The first waltz is called "Rêve Bohémien" (Jo Privat) and the second is "indifférence" (Tony Murena)

(My CD collection about concertina is very incomplete. I have only CDs of Anglo in irish music. I like it but I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me about CD concertina other than irish music)

Best regards,

Thomas

Edited by tona

that is very nice bal musette playing indeed.....

would this be an english or anglo concertina? i know that on accordion, the bal musette is usually played on a unisonoric instrument, the continental chromatic button accordin, and i'm guessing this is also a unisonoric concertina? very nice....

I believe tona is playing a duet concertina with some additional modifications. The duet may be better suited than English for this style of music, but I play English concertina and am trying to learn swing musette style on the English. I haven't found much material recorded or in print with regard to concertina playing swing musette. In fact, I'm thinking the best approach might be to take what is written or recorded on accordion and try to adapt that to concertina, since I believe this style of music has been played traditionally on accordion. Is there a good source for these tunes on the web?

Hi,

I try since quite a long time to play accordion swing waltz on concertina (In french, we call that style of music "swing musette"...Tony Murena, Gus Viseur, Jo Privat...)

Here is a recording test... The first waltz is called "Rêve Bohémien" (Jo Privat) and the second is "indifférence" (Tony Murena)

(My CD collection about concertina is very incomplete. I have only CDs of Anglo in irish music. I like it but I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me about CD concertina other than irish music)

Best regards,

Thomas

Super-Duper!

Just wonder, what made you decide on Concertina, esp. on such extreme design and cost, when you could play the same on chromatic accordion? Accordion sound is fuller, it's ergonomics is much better, which ultimately may lead to even better playing later on. Is it the weight, coincidence? I read your coming to original layout design, but why concertina? You could order same design for small accordion and pay less.

Just very curious about your arrival on Concertina.net.

I believe tona is playing a duet concertina with some additional modifications. The duet may be better suited than English for this style of music, but I play English concertina and am trying to learn swing musette style on the English. I haven't found much material recorded or in print with regard to concertina playing swing musette. In fact, I'm thinking the best approach might be to take what is written or recorded on accordion and try to adapt that to concertina, since I believe this style of music has been played traditionally on accordion. Is there a good source for these tunes on the web?

'Indifference' is actually in 'The Waltz Book III' compiled by Bill Matthheison. There are many books of this type music available at Djangobooks.com

Very nice tunes and well played. Interesting instrumentsmile.gif has it got two reeds per note tuned 'wet' like an accordeon?

As to your question have you got Anglo International and English International Very good CDs. Duet International is coming soon, you should be on it!

Contact Alan Day on this Forum by personal message

Edited by michael sam wild

Hi,

many thanks all! :wub:

I don't know what I could answer to your questions m3838...Perhaps playing swing musette on concertina may seem pointless and the result much better on accordion...But I just like sound of concertina! ...I have an accordion the size and the look of a diatonic (it was at start a diatonic transformed into my layout by Emmanuel Pariselle). But it sounds accordion and not...concertina!... :)

About C.net...When you play concertina in my area, you feel alone...I have not a good knowledge of music played on concertina except anglo in irish music and thanks to C.net, I can watch vidéos or listen to music that I couldn't find by myself.

Thanks Michael, we are already in contact with Alan.( And my duet has only one reed per note.) Could you tell me the way to buy anglo and english international CDs? (I am sure that there is a link on C.net.... I am going to look for! :) )

Thomas

ok, so it is indeed a unisonoric? very nice indeed....who cares that it's principally played on cba???? sounds nice on concertina too, and i say that as someone who is currently self-teaching on cba....

here is another of my fave bal musette waltzes, along with the immortal "indifference"....

Edited by ceemonster

Very nice tunes and well played. Interesting instrumentsmile.gif has it got two reeds per note tuned 'wet' like an accordeon?

As to your question have you got Anglo International and English International Very good CDs. Duet International is coming soon, you should be on it!

Contact Alan Day on this Forum by personal message

I can confirm that we have now received some recordings from Tona and they are of very high quality as you would expect from his recent postings.They are subject now to selection by Graham for the collection.

I would be VERY surprised if they were not included.

Another winner for Cnet.

Al :)