Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend 2010

A cheque will be on its way shortly! I wasn't sure I would be able to make it this year, as I had gigs for both Friday and Saturday nights. However the Friday gig was at Brampton Festival, which has just been cancelled in its entirety :(, so I now expect to be at Bradfield for most of the weekend. Looking forward to it.

I hope I may be forgiven for writing a 'plug' for this weekend, but it is one of my favourite annual events (The others are ECMW and The EATMT Trad Music Day). It is definitely NOT a Folk Festival - no crowds, no big names, no 'legends in their own -- opinion'. Most of the people who attend have an honest approach to the music and treat it with respect. There are always some interesting local traditional singers and some from further afield, and the event has become a bit of an unofficial meeting place for concertina players.

The organisation covers the full spectrum from 'relaxed' to 'non-existent' so a lot happens spontaneously (last year Chas Marshall and I had a brief session in Bflat! It was meant to be just the two of us, but it grew!) In fact there is an expectation that people will organise themselves.

If the weather is good then the area is breath-takingly beautiful; of course, if it rains.....there are some good pubs and some excellent local micro-breweries.

If you're in two minds about going, I urge you to try it out - not least for the concertina interest. I know duet players Ralph Jordan, Gavin Atkin, Geoff Crabb and Jon Boden will be there because they form the panel for my concertina discussion this year.

To misquote the great Bob, 'If you see me say 'Hello''.

Best wishes,

Roger

A really nice event, The Royal does great pies, Mark's barn has superb accoustics and the Loxley Valley is beautiful.. Very concertina friendly, the monthly concertina group meets at the Royal Hotel so they love concertinas and it's also a stronghold of traditional carols, traditional songs and tunes and an all round good pub anbd staff and locals.

Looks like I may be able to get up there hopefully Friday to the session and Saturday until after the Midday Session.

I will confirm.

Hope to see you all again.

Al

Change of plan I will just be there on Saturday.

Edited by Alan Day

Looks like I may be able to get up there hopefully Friday to the session and Saturday until after the Midday Session.

I will confirm.

Hope to see you all again.

Al

Anyone thinking of going for first time might want to see some snippets from 2009. ONly still pics of the lovely, simple camping under the spreading trees just across from the barn and acres for campervans.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7g78gT41FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPUlp4rgas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDR7nLWJQXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYHeeNk6oxE

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone planning to head to Bradfield from the west via the Hope Valley, please be aware that the road down Winnats Pass will be closed from Monday 12 to Friday 16 July.

Phew! _ I thought HJC was adding another problem to my long list... but I see that is only for folk coming up from other side of Jodrell Bank alien landing site and through the peak district and my route was to be East Lancs M60 M67 A628.

However, my car has gone kerphut and I am stuck near Ormskirk while garage has failed for three days to find cause of diesel engine dying.

I may be able to get a lift right to edgmount Farm at Bradfield from someone heading from Ormskirk up to Durham on Friday.

Is there anyone out there with a pantechnicon who would be coming back from Bradfield to Bickerstaffe/Ormskirk/Southport side on Sunday and could stash me and junk along with the furniture in the back? Glady Contribute to cost of oats!

After car collapse I had thought I might be able to mobike over with tent on my head but at MOT on Sat, gash found across tyre and, tho passed MOT a bit worrying for a long trip and anyway looking impossible to get new one ordered and fitted in time......... aagghhh

The best laid plans of men and micetinas....

:( :(

Edited by Kautilya

For anyone planning to head to Bradfield from the west via the Hope Valley, please be aware that the road down Winnats Pass will be closed from Monday 12 to Friday 16 July.

Phew! _ I thought HC was adding another problem to my long list... but I see that is only for folk coming up from other side of Jodrell Bank alien landing site and through the peak district and my route was to be East Lancs M60 M67 A628.

However, my car has gone kerphut and I am stuck near Ormskirk while garage has failed for three days to find cause of diesel engine dying.

:) :) Car mysteriously started running again without garage doing anything ..... might make it yet... through the thunderstorms. Maybe the gods of KirkWesson smiled and waved a daffodil over it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A great first session last night. 9 concertinists in the room, more to come. St Swithun's Day and it poured down. they say when his bones were moved from Winchester Cathedral in the 9th C it rained for 40 days and nights.

Ralph Jordan had a go on the giant Maccann Duet that Neil Wayne brought along.

Edited by michael sam wild

Here is another shot of Ralphie - you can compare the size of this large duet with Ralphie's own duet, or with Ralphie or with a pint of beer!

Chas

Nice shot of Ralphie only a mobile phone pic, , as you see by the blur smile.gif he was playing it

post-1210-1279392012977_thumb.jpg

Edited by marshall

Here is another shot of Ralphie - you can compare the size of this large duet with Ralphie's own duet, or with Ralphie or with a pint of beer!

Chas

Nice shot of Ralphie only a mobile phone pic, , as you see by the blur smile.gif he was playing it

Nice Picture Silly Instrument!!

Just got back from the weekend. It was lovely to meet old friends again, and make new ones too. Sessions were as entertaining as expected, Various luminaries popped in as well to add to the fun. I'm really glad that I wasn't camping though!

Thanks to Mark for a well organised bash. Will keep the weekend highlighted for next year.

Ralph.

PS No doubt pictures will surface on here at some point, taken by more talented people than I !!

I second what Ralph said. Lovely weekend, lovely music. Thanks, Mark.

I'm only sorry that due to other commitments I had to miss both Friday and Saturday evening sessions in the Royal, and I'm gutted that somehow I failed to record the Sunday lunchtime session, which had some great playing, great tunes and great songs.

I had a great day on Saturday thoroughly enjoyed the Duet Concertina talk and the session afterwards in the Royal.

Entries were way down sadly and Mark was well down on break even, which is sad.

I hope Mark can keep it going, but with no financial support it is a very difficult task .

Many thanks Mark for your hard work and organisation, keep it going if you can.

Al

I had other commitments this year which meant I could only make it to the Sunday lunchtime session at the Dungworth Royal. But that was lovely and it was nice to catch up with old friends and have a good few tunes and hear the great songs.

Nevertheless, I give my thanks to Mark for organising this weekend once again. Sorry to learn that it has been financially difficult. I hope it can go ahead next year.

A great weekend , even though wet, I didn't manage to get to the singing sessions at the Horns as we got stuck in the Royal. Nice friendly event and some varied and lively music.

The duet talks were fascinating with Geoff Crabb on history and construction etc, Jon Boden (Maccann) , Ralph Jordan (Maccann ), Gavin Atkin (Jeffries Duet) and Roger Digby as Chair, Alan Day briefed us on the upcoming Duet International, Michael Hebbert (JD) cycled up on Sunday from Sheffield too!

I counted well over 30 concertina players at one time or another ( hope that doesn't keep other instrument players away!)smile.gif

Thanks to Mark and Joan and all othe organisers and pub staff. I hope it can pay its way in future. Mark does not seek any grants or subsidies so depends on support of participants. Amazing value ! I hope those who turn up for the pub session chip in the box on the bar.

Edited by michael sam wild